Zim has to go

YoungBuck

Reaction score
jrumann59;1162287 said:
Canty and Ware do not play the same postion. The DEs in the 3-4 do what DT in the 4-3 do, keep the OL off the LB's. Anything beyond outside contain and eating up blockers is gravy.

San Diego:
Luis Castillo a 3-4 DE has the same amount of sacks as Ware (5)
Jacques Cesaire a 3-4 DE has 2 sacks
Jamaal Williams a NT has 2 sacks

Pittsburgh:
Aaron Smith (DE) 2.5 sacks
Brett Keisel (DE) 3 sacks

NE:
Ty Warren (DE) 2 sacks
Richard Seymore (DE) 3 sacks
Vince Wilfork (NT) 2 sacks

Dallas:
Marcus Spears: 1 sack
Chris Canty: 1 sack

The problem is when we send a LB, the DE's arn't taking advantage of 1-on-1 situations. When Chris Canty and Marcus Spears are able to start beating tackles when their on an island with them then we'll have the kind of dominating defense that we thought the cowboys would be. Guys like Luis Castillo force the offense to keep a tackle on him, so that frees up Shawne Merriman to be one on one with a RB and he'll almost always win that match up.

Teams arn't afraid to block Ware with a tackle, because they know Canty can't beat them.

I don't expect Jason Ferguson to have sack numbers, but he hasn't been doing his job of colapsing the pocket. There have been a lot of clean pockets where QBs can just step up and throw. That eliminates the effectiveness of Ware and Ellis.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
zrinkill;1162374 said:
Only on this board could we have the number 3 defense ..... and people be calling for the DC's head.

:bang2:

We have bigger probs than not having the number 1 or 2 defense

The #3 defense, but 20th in sacks. You don't have a problem with that?

Can you honestly say that there are 19 teams in the league more talented than the cowboys?

San Fran has more sacks than the cowboys. :bang2:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
YoungBuck;1162469 said:

No, not at all. Our defense has not been a problem at all. They get turnovers, and shut down teams. That is their job

YoungBuck

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1162477 said:
No, not at all. Our defense has not been a problem at all. They get turnovers, and shut down teams. That is their job

They get turnovers and shut down teams. Except agaisnt the Jaguars.....Eagles....Commanders....Giants.....basicly any team with a winning record.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
On paper this team should be 7-2. Offensively we are tops in most rankings, especially the important ones, 3rd down and red zone effeciency.

Overall we have a good Turn over margin.

It's about time this team starts to put it together.

By the way, this defense has been pretty damn good sans a few big plays given up. Look at the numbers, and look at the perfomances. They didn't lose the Washington game. They sure as hell didn't screw up the first 10 minutes at Philly in a horrendous fashion. It wasn't them in Jacksonville.

Tiki ran well against us, but overall, it wasn't their fault the offense turned it over 4 times that game.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I cannot believe our front seven cannot create any more pressure on the QB......Ware will get in there this week on the big stage

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The defense did not lose the Washington game?

I believe that to be half true. They didn't but they contributed.

We had almost 100 yards attributed to the defense. We gave up big plays to a Santana Moss-less Skins team. We also failed to to stop their offense in the 1st quarter, where their offense simply walked down the field against our bend but don't break defense.

Our defense left the middle of the field open where an old man threw downfield from us.

How bout that end around play where Ellis was exposed?

NO the defense didn't lose the game. But they were proud contributors.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
sadams;1162283 said:
With all the talent we have on Defense, and having scored the second most td's in the NFL, I am ready to blame Zim. When is he going to maximize some talent, get a pass rush and confuse someone with a blitz. I can tell you where every blitz is coming from. And the way we make some OLines we look, so do they. We dont loop and spin enough on the D line and we don't bring Roy enough.

We are bigger than most Olines on the D side and we get no push?????

We need to move Ware and Canty around some also. They can rush from many angles I believe. I am excited about Carp if he gets the nod. This guy could really get after the QB in college, but Zim will ruin him also.

Yeah, the Cowboys only rank third in total defense in the NFL, at 280.3 yards per game...

Zimmer sucks...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
zrinkill;1162374 said:
Only on this board could we have the number 3 defense ..... and people be calling for the DC's head.

:bang2:

We have bigger probs than not having the number 1 or 2 defense

please...this is NOT the 3rd best defense in football...we are 3rd in yards allowed..some of that is because teams havent had to move the ball down the field on us because of turnovers by the offense...some of its because we've been fortunate to play two rookie QB's (niether of whom look anywhere near ready to play) and a number of other inept teams offensively...the defense looked bad in the games against the best teams we've played

this isnt a good defense, its a painfully average one...its every opposing QB's wet dream to play against us, because they know they arnt going to get hit or sacked all day...we play very soft, vanilla coverages...we line up in almost the same formations on every down...the blitzes are very predictable and in most cases totally ineffective...and even though our players for the most part have good to great speed, we play slow on defense because of all the reads they have to make before doing anything

I am quite sure some of its Parcells, but Zimmer was a lousy defensive coordinator before Parcells got here, and he is still lousy today...Parcells likes him because he does what he is told (ie, puppet) and doesnt give him any flack

this defense has alot of very talented players...alot of high draft picks and alot of free agent dollars are spent on it...we shouldnt be "average"...we should be very good to excellent

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;1162531 said:
Yeah, the Cowboys only rank third in total defense in the NFL, at 280.3 yards per game...

Zimmer sucks...

yeah, he does

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
M'Kevon;1162412 said:
Will somebody please explain how replacing Zim will help when its Parcells D? :banghead:

hey I totally agree there

they both need to go

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
YoungBuck;1162469 said:

Can you honestly say that there are 19 teams in the league more talented than the cowboys?

Julius Pepers now has 11 sacks by himself...we have 19 sacks as a team

pretty sad

David

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1162400 said:
GROZ has been calling for his head way before then. Don't let our current ranking fool you either. We can't rush the QB, create turnovers or defend the deep pass worth a crap.

And yet, the Cowboys are tied for second for FEWEST TD passes allowed, with 7...

They're also tied for 4th in MOST takeaways, with 19...

How very strange, for a team that can't "create turnovers, or defend the deep pass worth a crap"...

For the record, the Cowboys are also 6th in the league in completion percentage allowed, at 56.0 per cent... they're tied for 7th for most interceptions, with 10...

They rank 7th in yards per play allowed, at 4.8... they're 9th in pass defense, at 194.9 yards per game, 4th in rush defense at 85.4 yards per game, tied for 3rd in yards per carry allowed, at 3.4 YPC...

Looks to me like some of y'all have ridiculously high standards... the only major defensive category I can find where the Boys don't rank in the top 10 is 3rd down conversion percentage, where they rank 14th, at 35.4 per cent... and I would like to see them tighten up their scoring defense, they only rank 9th, at 19.3 points per game...

No, they don't generate a lot of sacks, but they still play pretty fair defense...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;1162542 said:
No, they don't generate a lot of sacks, but they still play pretty fair defense...

and thats the problem...we should be better than a "fair" defense...and "fair" is about what they are

with the players we have, we have the ability to dominate games on defense...we dont do that

the bottom line is championship teams almost always have the ability to rush the passer...we havent had a good pass rush in years and not co-incidentally, Zimmer has been the DC for 7 years now

David

silverbear

Reaction score
YoungBuck;1162469 said:

Are you honestly suggesting that the measure of a talented defense is the number of sacks they record, ahead of (no, to the exclusion of) every other defensive stat??

Excuse me while I snort in derision at the inanity of that suggestion...

There's more to playing defense than sacks, my man... for all their sacks, the Niners rank 24th in pass defense, giving up 221.3 yards per game... they rank 31st-- next to last-- in completion percentage allowed, at 65.3 per cent... which suggests that they're blitzing a lot to get those sacks, and getting burned pretty regularly for their blitzing...

So, would you prefer a defense that got more sacks than the Cowboys do, but gave up more yards than the Boys, more points per game than the Boys, and didn't record as many turnovers as the Cowboys do??

Personally, I'll take the 3rd ranked defense over the 25th ranked defense any day, even if the latter is putting up more sacks... you see, the last I checked, the NFL doesn't hand out W's for putting up more sacks than the other team does...

canters

Reaction score
I am not so certain we are all that talented. Sure we have some real solid players. But, Canty and Spears are having quite years. Fergie is a run stopper period.

Outside of Ware, all the LBs are just solid lunch pale guys.

In the secondary, Tnew is all-pro material. Henry is solid, but not all-pro. Roy is having to help out in coverage so much that he disappears in games instead of ringing bells near the LOS.

We need a couple more guys who can take over games. We have 2 to 3,, we need 5-6.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;1162542 said:
And yet, the Cowboys are tied for second for FEWEST TD passes allowed, with 7...

They're also tied for 4th in MOST takeaways, with 19...

How very strange, for a team that can't "create turnovers, or defend the deep pass worth a crap"...

For the record, the Cowboys are also 6th in the league in completion percentage allowed, at 56.0 per cent... they're tied for 7th for most interceptions, with 10...

They rank 7th in yards per play allowed, at 4.8... they're 9th in pass defense, at 194.9 yards per game, 4th in rush defense at 85.4 yards per game, tied for 3rd in yards per carry allowed, at 3.4 YPC...

Looks to me like some of y'all have ridiculously high standards... the only major defensive category I can find where the Boys don't rank in the top 10 is 3rd down conversion percentage, where they rank 14th, at 35.4 per cent... and I would like to see them tighten up their scoring defense, they only rank 9th, at 19.3 points per game...

I decided to look up some things as well...

we've played two teams ranked in the top 10 in offense (Philly #1, NYG #10), Philly nailed us for 406 yds of offense and 38 pts (31 on offense)...NYG got us for 36 pts (29 on offense) and 324 yds...

other than them we've played Washington twice (ranked 16th), Jacksonville (20th), Carolina (23rd) Houston (24th) Tennessee (27th) and Arizona (28th)...further, Tennessee and Arizona started rookie QB's, and our two games vs Washignton they were missing their two best players (one in each of the games)

David

Woods

Reaction score
Maybe one reason we don't blitz more is because the coaching staff doesn't trust the Safety play, especially on deep balls?

IF Watkins turns out to be a solid FS, I think BP/Zimm may take some more chances with the blitz.

silverbear

Reaction score
YoungBuck;1162479 said:
They get turnovers and shut down teams. Except agaisnt the Jaguars.....Eagles....Commanders....Giants.....basicly any team with a winning record.

And of course, it's the defense's fault that Parcells went for 2 early in the game against the Skins, then got a FG attempt blocked that cost them the game... they caused Bledsoe to throw 3 critical ints against the Jags, and again against the Iggles (5 total turnovers in that game, 1 returned for a TD)... they were responsible for Romo and Bledsoe accounting for 4 ints against the Giants... they gave up the safety on Bledsoe, and the 96 yard interception return for a TD in that game, too...

In 3 of the 4 losses, the Cowboys have committed 12 freakin' turnovers, leading DIRECTLY to 16 points (2 int returns for TDs and a safety)... compare this to 7 turnovers in their other 6 games... the other game, they dominated and should have won, but for a braindead coaching decision followed by a breakdown on special teams at the end of the game...

But you blame it all on the defense?? Don't be ridiculous, in 3 of those 4 losses they held the opponents under their season's average for total offense per game, in the 4th they came REAL close to the opponent's season average:

Jacksonville-- 307 yards total offense, 306.0 yards per game average...

Iggles-- 383 yards total offense, 390.2 yards per game average...

Giants-- 328 yards total offense, 346.9 yard per game average...

Skins-- 300 yards total offense, 317.7 yards per game average...

Clearly, the biggest reason the Cowboys lost 3 of those 4 games was turnovers, not anything that the defense can be blamed for...