Zimmer and Rivera are old and tired

rambo2

Reaction score
Fans usually go for names because they are recognizable. Instead of names what this team needs at defensive coordinator is talent. There are dozens of young talented coaches who would be excellent hires but because few have heard of them they won’t be popular.

Experience can be a very good thing when hiring someone. But experience alone is not necessarily a great hire. (Mike Nolan had lots of experience) IMO, talent is way more important than experience.
Can you name a dozen that would be good for the Cowboys?

chuck520

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. We already tried the Zimmer thing and it broke records for bad defense (until future Jerry hires broke new shame records), and Rivera failed in Washington. Tired of hiring known failures to this staff so Jerry can feel like he's the true head coach.
Zimmer had good defenses with the Cowboys, 2003 they were #1 and then changed from 4-3 to 3-4 he was able to help transform the defense then. I'm not saying he's the best choice but both he and Rivera were decent DC

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Have you GROZ people forgotten your plaints?
As for Rivera, I have liked him as an organic, hands-on type, but like Belichick, he is past his prime, out of the loop on the latest in anything football.

So, I am disappointed in the fan base of good chaps.

Canna we stay clear of retreads and people such as Zimmer eager to work for Jerald? Tha someone SEEKS to work for Jerald ... well, ruffians, I find tha odd.
Holla
I was also of the same opinion ,but little bit of thinking , lead me to believe its not so bad, Old school coaches ( good DCs) know how to shut down run and make teams one dimensional, DQ for all his flashy sacks , turnovers , was not able to stop the run game against tough physical teams . That lead to our demise in the playoffs .

If we can get a decent Defense which can be relied upon and will not give up score after score , our offense ( even with limitations…) can put up some points and make a game out of it .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Have you GROZ people forgotten your plaints?
As for Rivera, I have liked him as an organic, hands-on type, but like Belichick, he is past his prime, out of the loop on the latest in anything football.

So, I am disappointed in the fan base of good chaps.

Canna we stay clear of retreads and people such as Zimmer eager to work for Jerald? Tha someone SEEKS to work for Jerald ... well, ruffians, I find tha odd.
Holla
so is jerry. what's the difference. Jerry tried to hire the next genius in garrett and failed. he thought he had the next offensive genius in Moore and failed. now pendulum swings and he is going after older, experienced coaches. its not a plan that he has. its random shooting and planning just to do a next move and keep fans happy. its not about winning.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Zimmer would be the best hire. He is Jerry’s buddy so all good there.

He won’t mind the one year situation because he knows he will be in the mix for HC next year and can steal a few million from Jerry while he runs this current group into the toilet.

They had their window and passed…by trying to be cute and trying to outsmart everyone else and win now and still have cap money later. Doesn’t work that way.

Aftershock

Reaction score
I'd be okay with MZ. He has a history of good defenses when running the Vikings. He wasn't the DC but you have to give MZ credit for the multiple top 10 defenses he fielded.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I am all for Zimmer. I think what he will do is build up the Dline a little bit more and then move Micah to LB and use him in his double A gap pressures along with another legit LB and Parsons will get meaningful tackles and still have close to 10 sacks from the middle.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
GROZ was so popular in the 2000s, and would be popular today. Just stop thinking like a "joe blow" fan and start thinking like a normal GM. There are plenty of up and coming hot Coordinators out there just do your freaking home work and pick one.

Soth

Reaction score
I still have PTSD from the GROZ era. I don't know that I can handle Zimmer as our DC. I still remember a 4-5 game stretch where we struggled to make a single stop. Teams were scoring 40-50 on us.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Old and tired guys are easier to control, and more likely to be content. Bonus points if they're fat.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I still have PTSD from the GROZ era. I don't know that I can handle Zimmer as our DC. I still remember a 4-5 game stretch where we struggled to make a single stop. Teams were scoring 40-50 on us.
The diff is Zimmer is way older and maybe wiser?
Naw...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Rivera is 62 that isn't that old for coaches. Zimmer is 67 and still not that old compared to his contemporaries.

I would like to see them interview Wink Martindale and he's 61 in May.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Zimmer and Rivera are old and tired, and Jerry is too, but that doesn't stop him from coming back every year to screw up the team. Pick one of the two losers and let's start another year of participating. Go cowboys...... rah.