Zimmer and Rivera are old and tired

Ozymandias

Reaction score
It's gonna be a surprise DC hire: Tony Romo

and he could keep his analyst gis, just as long as he isn't calling Cowboys games.

He would blow Jerry's doors off the interview, because he was reading the formation and calling out the play before ol' Jerry could even think. Hired on the spot

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
They are both also good coordinators who have connections with people who want to work with them.

Quinn will likely gut our staff. That is how it goes with lower level coaches -- they just get a year-to-year deal. I expect Harris is gone as well and we'd be lucky to retain Durde - Quinn is going to take his guys.

I'm much more in on Riverboat Ron as he really commands respect. He was the Washington coach but damn, dude is doing chemo and still all of his coaching duties. Most people would be asleep for days after treatment.
I hope Quinn takes the defensive front coach with him, and the brain trust that allowed a lot of humiliating breakdowns among the secondary, allowing 48 overall points.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's gonna be a surprise DC hire: Tony Romo

and he could keep his analyst gis, just as long as he isn't calling Cowboys games.

He would blow Jerry's doors off the interview, because he was reading the formation and calling out the play before ol' Jerry could even think. Hired on the spot
Has Jerald seen Romo in the shower? I ask for a friend in the sports betting industry.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I hope Quinn takes the defensive front coach with him, and the brain trust that allowed a lot of humiliating breakdowns among the secondary, allowing 48 overall points.
Wuz kinda hoping it was a package deal to ship you off to another baord

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Th8s franchise forgot how to win a long long time ago.
Those names are more proof of why

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen don't know enough about football to sit down and interview candidates and figure out if they know what they are talking about. Seriously . . . "analytics"?

As a result, they have to go with name recognition which forces them to use retreads. They could never hire a guy like McVay because they would have to know enough about football to differentiate him from . . . . Garrett.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yea. I feel like I had enough of old guys after Kiffen and Marinelli.

Pass on both for me, but I’ll be right there on the couch cheering like an idiot regardless.

Rayman70

Reaction score
how about this guy? I can't remember where he was a coach but his name sounds familiar.

Monte George Kiffin
Jerry embraces the suck. ie..OLD AND TIRED. I will say this, if we must go the old retread route, Zimmer might have the most fire left in his belly to prove something. Hès been out of the game like 2 years or so and I think he's hungry, rejuvenated and wants to prove something. I rather go younger, and Rivera and others don't inspire anyone. If we do that, its critical that he be allowed to surround himself with younger staffers that can help be a bridge to the team/ players. Vrabel and BB aint happening.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As for Rivera, I have liked him as an organic, hands-on type, but like Belichick, he is past his prime, out of the loop on the latest in anything football.
I'm going to disagree with that. Rivera is just like Wade - a great DC but terrible HC.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Fans usually go for names because they are recognizable. Instead of names what this team needs at defensive coordinator is talent. There are dozens of young talented coaches who would be excellent hires but because few have heard of them they won’t be popular.

Experience can be a very good thing when hiring someone. But experience alone is not necessarily a great hire. (Mike Nolan had lots of experience) IMO, talent is way more important than experience.
There’s also the factor of having a lame duck coach….how many young talented coaches are gonna jump for an opportunity here knowing that if the team doesn’t make a championship game the whole staff is fired? Seems like a good way to go from talented up and coming young guy to fired in a year- potentially your only shot for years.

People need to look at the situation the coach is in when factoring the hire, if it’s not a Witt jr who gets a promotion and familiar with the situation- you likely need to take a chance on a hired guy who wants to prove his worth again and roll the dice with a defense who on paper has some talent.

jwitten82

Reaction score
They are both also good coordinators who have connections with people who want to work with them.

Quinn will likely gut our staff. That is how it goes with lower level coaches -- they just get a year-to-year deal. I expect Harris is gone as well and we'd be lucky to retain Durde - Quinn is going to take his guys.

I'm much more in on Riverboat Ron as he really commands respect. He was the Washington coach but damn, dude is doing chemo and still all of his coaching duties. Most people would be asleep for days after treatment.
What would make us be lucky to retain Durde? The dline hasn't been that impressive. We'd be lucky to retain Harris

_sturt_

Reaction score
Canna we stay clear of retreads
This nothing-burger argument is what is old and tired.

You don't eliminate candidates because they do have experience, though you certainly eliminate most because they do not. That's only reasonable.

Dick LeBeau was a high-functioning DC through the end of his career... 79 years old.

Age and experience on its own is not a legitimate argument against a given candidate. That's just irrational.

Talk about what they did or didn't do in that time they've had... but the mere fact that they have a record... as-if you can just stamp a defamatory "retread" on their resume'... and that somehow amounts to an adult argument instead of a middle school insult? Nah. That's stupid silly.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Fans usually go for names because they are recognizable. Instead of names what this team needs at defensive coordinator is talent. There are dozens of young talented coaches who would be excellent hires but because few have heard of them they won’t be popular.

Experience can be a very good thing when hiring someone. But experience alone is not necessarily a great hire. (Mike Nolan had lots of experience) IMO, talent is way more important than experience.
Yep and on the opposite end experience doesn't always mean they're tired and worn out coaches either. I just hope the Cowboys find the best DC possible and should be looking at experienced guys and ones that were on a staff running a succesful defense.

CWR

Reaction score
Have you GROZ people forgotten your plaints?
As for Rivera, I have liked him as an organic, hands-on type, but like Belichick, he is past his prime, out of the loop on the latest in anything football.

So, I am disappointed in the fan base of good chaps.

Canna we stay clear of retreads and people such as Zimmer eager to work for Jerald? Tha someone SEEKS to work for Jerald ... well, ruffians, I find tha odd.
Holla
That's probably all you get with a lame duck hc. I can't imagine a young up and coming coordinator walking into this set up. It's too big a risk.

links18

Reaction score
Have you GROZ people forgotten your plaints?

So, I am disappointed in the fan base of good chaps.

Canna we stay clear of retreads and people such as Zimmer eager to work for Jerald? Tha someone SEEKS to work for Jerald ... well, ruffians, I find tha odd.
Holla
Hey, watch who you call tired, energy man!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. We already tried the Zimmer thing and it broke records for bad defense (until future Jerry hires broke new shame records), and Rivera failed in Washington. Tired of hiring known failures to this staff so Jerry can feel like he's the true head coach.

Creeper

Reaction score
While I get that a lot of people are tired of hearing these retread names, but at the end of the day it comes down to talent. Our linebackers are trash, dline was undersized, and used safety’s to play a scheme. Get real defensive players in here and a zimmer/rivera coordinator will work.

The 9ers defense has underwent multiple coordinators in years. They all aren’t brilliant… it’s the players
I do agree with this. The 49ers have had multiple DCs and their defense still plays the same. It could be that the old saying, It starts at the top, is true. But the 49ers are a team that has gone out and made trades to get players. They got Hargrave when they needed a DT. They got Gregory and Chase Young at DEs. No matter what you think of these two players, it is the idea that the 49ers tried to improve when they saw weakness that counts. I am actually shocked at how poorly Chase young has played.

The trade for CMC put them over the top I think. Jerry never would have made that trade.

So this year, we need to see change. Going all in mean getting the players they need to fill the gas in the roster. After what looked like Dallas would have an abundance of riches at LB when they had Parsons, LVE and Cox, not looks like a big bag of nothing. They need 2 or 3 LBs on defense, and they still need some talent on the DL. Perhaps a new DC will bring a change in philosophy to Dallas and they will get those players they need.

Jerry hamstrings his team by refusing to acquire talent through free agency. Other teams don't and it could be the reason Dallas is always one step behind.