Zimmer on Mazi

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer on DT Mazi Smith: “Obviously he was a high draft pick, and I heard that he kinda struggled a little bit last year. We’re gonna start with the basics, get him in a good stance, get him using his hands the right way, getting his footwork the right way, and then kinda go from there. … We anticipate that he’s gonna be a good player like he was in college.”

Last edited:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta go back to basics to figure out the problem. It’s probably the right way to approach the situation with Mazi. Get the weight back on put him in his more natural position, utilize his strengths and develop his skill set from scratch and try a salvage his career.

I have no issues with this approach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes you gotta go back to basics to figure out the problem. It’s probably the right way to approach the situation with Mazi. Get the weight back on put him in his more natural position, utilize his strengths and develop his skill set from scratch and try a salvage his career.

I have no issues with this approach.
You have given it the green light.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Mazi weighing 305 right now is one of the stupidest things this front office has ever done. They are colossal morons. I can't emphasize this enough.
I think he should drop down to 230 so he can line up over the slot receiver a few snaps every game to really throw off the offense. You just can't overstate the importance of position flex in todays game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Mazi to listen to his coaches, following their advice of how to train properly, and generally, and simply work harder than ever to improve. The coaches last year were intent upon converting him to a 3-tech in pro ball, when his success in college was as a 1-tech. He'll be that again.

Zimmer commented that they'll try to make him as good in professional football as he was back then by improving his technique and his conditioning. He'll either find success in due time or he won't. If the staff is patient enough to deal with him every day like that we should be able to do the same. It'll take lots of patience, though. That seems to be something extremely rare around here. It won't happen overnight. Deal with it if you can.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sounds like Quinn and the organization didn’t do much to develop him last year.
Sounds like they wanted him to be someone he was not last year.

"We anticipate that he’s gonna be a good player like he was in college.”

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer on DT Mazi Smith: “Obviously he was a high draft pick, and I heard that he kinda struggled a little bit last year. We’re gonna start with the basics, get him in a good stance, get him using his hands the right way, getting his footwork the right way, and then kinda go from there. … We anticipate that he’s gonna be a good player like he was in college.”

Ok then, but we better hit with Mazi if this DL wants to take step in the right direction.
Continual DL draft busts is not the best way to mold a dominate defense.
They are commodities, and hard to come by, but resources are resources, its time to hit.
In Mazi we must trust..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm pulling for Mazi to listen to his coaches, following their advice of how to train properly, and generally, and simply work harder than ever to improve. The coaches last year were intent upon converting him to a 3-tech in pro ball, when his success in college was as a 1-tech. He'll be that again.

Zimmer commented that they'll try to make him as good in professional football as he was back then by improving his technique and his conditioning. He'll either find success in due time or he won't. If the staff is patient enough to deal with him every day like that we should be able to do the same. It'll take lots of patience, though. That seems to be something extremely rare around here. It won't happen overnight. Deal with it if you can.
I'm betting Zimmer tries harder than Quinn did.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mazi weighing 305 right now is one of the stupidest things this front office has ever done. They are colossal morons. I can't emphasize this enough.
Well, they may be trying to work him back up from the ridiculous number he dropped to last year. I'm sure they want him to put on good weight.