Zimmer or Ryan?

Who do you want as the next DC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I think you’re rolling the dice with Ryan believing you can capture the magic from the ’09 & ’10 Jets seasons. What if you get the post ’10 Ryan that admitted to losing the pulse of team (2011 season) while making stupid Super Bowl predictions along the way, and followed that up by not eclipsing a .500 win percentage in his final three years (canned after 4-12 in ’14) with the Jets.

It got worse in Buffalo in ’15 when he inherited a good defense (Top 5 in sacks, takeaways, and yards and points allowed) and turned that into a mess during his two-year tenure. When he got the boot, his defense plummeted to being ranked 24th. Plenty of reports were making rounds during the end of time in Buffalo that Rex lost the defensive half of the locker room.

So, if you could give me hope that RR could come in here swinging his junk left to right and recapture what he had some 14 years ago, I’d be on-board, but I personally just see a self-promoting loudmouth riding brief successes, in a city that really matters, from way too long ago.

I’m down with the foot fetish thing but sadly I must opt for non-fetish stylings of Zimmer. It’s a choice of the lesser of two evils for me. But…if you’re looking for sheer entertainment value, it’s definitely Ryan.
Best post on this thread. Based on this post, I changed my vote.

Flamma

Reaction score
thanks for the history lesson….don’t need it tho bc I lived all that. You took the lone exception in the history of the nfl and are making that the rule? In a modern league today that’s entirely different than the era vermeil left and returned to? You could argue pretty strongly that the league in the last 7 years changed vastly more than the 15 years vermeil was out when you factory in ; rule changes, offensive schemes and style of play. Night and day comparison. Vermeil was out from 82-97.

Beyond that vermeil came back as a head coach- no easy task at all but his role is basically to micro manage a staff particularly offensive and defensive coordinators and help them with the game plan. His job was not 100% dependent on focusing on one side of the ball with complete dedication hour and hours and hours a week. In some ways coming back as a head coach is easier than coming back a coordinator.

Interestingly enough you left out that after those 2 afc championship games, he never had a winning season again. Never finished better than 8-8. Of course this disregards all his personality flaws and the fact that he’s 100% using the cowboys job as a stepping stone to get another head coaching record…he’s not the guy you bring here with a lame duck coach.
I think the game changed a lot more from '82 to '97, than it did in the last 7 years. Besides, are there many examples of coaches taking a decade off and coming back? I think Gibbs might be one with a not so good ending.

I brought up the AFC championship games because I think the team overachieved with a less than stellar quarterback. Having some bad seasons afterwards didn't surprise me at all. They are the Jets.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif
since there was no 3rd option.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Best post on this thread. Based on this post, I changed my vote.
Don’t change your stance on my take. I cherry picked from memory and somewhat recent history. The guy does know how to incorporate 3-4, 4-3, and 46 principles so he’s not an idiot. My point was I think he was trending downward for some time and is too far removed from periods of success.

Also, how did you start nose diving in Buffalo when you inherited Marcell Dareus, and Mario and Kyle Williams on the D-Line? All three Pro Bowl players with two being All-Pros?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I can't believe these are the top candidates. We are such a joke right now.

The only way I will endure next season is thinking Jerry will go after BB once Big Mike is fired.
At first, I thought you were talking about the Presidential candidates..My bad.