Zimmer or Ryan?

Who do you want as the next DC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If ever there was a time Jones needed to listen to the fans about a hire, this needs to be it. I don't hate Zimmer as DC like others do, but Ryan is the best guy out there and has expressed interest directly to Mike McCarthy. He brings a great scheme and mind to the table, and is a proven leader of men. He isn't a guy on the couch looking for a check. He has plenty of money and a job he's really good at. He'd be coming in to win a Super Bowl. He's what we need. Right now.

For Jones, it would bring that buzz he's always looking for. Everyone knows Ryan and his track record. The man is an elite head coach, and has publicly expressed interest in the job. It gets fans, like me, back on board of an otherwise sinking ship. He has the media savvy to be able to mentor guys like Parsons and steer them back in the right direction. For us, he brings a gifted, brilliant mind that can transform this defense into a juggernaut, rapidly. This needs to happen ASAP.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
That's what they said about Dick Vermeil. Out of the league for 15 years. Came back and won a SB with the Rams.

I'll take Rex because he took a Jets team to two consecutive AFCCGs, beating teams on the road to get there. One year, the Patriots and Colts back to back. And he did it with a crap QB. I'm sure he can handle DC.
thanks for the history lesson….don’t need it tho bc I lived all that. You took the lone exception in the history of the nfl and are making that the rule? In a modern league today that’s entirely different than the era vermeil left and returned to? You could argue pretty strongly that the league in the last 7 years changed vastly more than the 15 years vermeil was out when you factory in ; rule changes, offensive schemes and style of play. Night and day comparison. Vermeil was out from 82-97.

Beyond that vermeil came back as a head coach- no easy task at all but his role is basically to micro manage a staff particularly offensive and defensive coordinators and help them with the game plan. His job was not 100% dependent on focusing on one side of the ball with complete dedication hour and hours and hours a week. In some ways coming back as a head coach is easier than coming back a coordinator.

Interestingly enough you left out that after those 2 afc championship games, he never had a winning season again. Never finished better than 8-8. Of course this disregards all his personality flaws and the fact that he’s 100% using the cowboys job as a stepping stone to get another head coaching record…he’s not the guy you bring here with a lame duck coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ryan has been sitting in a booth for who knows how long. I want no part of that even despite his proposed style of defense.

Frankly, I don't like either option but it is what it is.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Zim is bend don't break. Ryan ran an attack style that made the opponents earn every yard. Both have been out for multiple years. I'd rather go for the possibility of an aggressive D over bend don't break. For one year, it's not a bad gamble.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zim is bend don't break. Ryan ran an attack style that made the opponents earn every yard. Both have been out for multiple years. I'd rather go for the possibility of an aggressive D over bend don't break. For one year, it's not a bad gamble.
Jake gets it.

Who cares that he's a foot fetish pervert? Just keep him out of personnel where he can get too excited for a player when the scouts say he has great feet.

Plus we eventually get to fire both of Buddy Ryan's sons.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rex has been out of coaching for 7 years but not out of the loop. He's worked as an analyst.

Just depends on what he's been doing since 2016. How hard he's been grinding film to keep up with the league.

This could be an issue but it's a risk I'd take over Zimmer. Who I know will blink at the first sign of adversity and tell his DL to stop pass rushing before they give up a big play.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But I don't buy that the Cowboys are unsure of the two. It will be Zimmer. It's the wrong choice and I have faith in them.

Carson

Reaction score
This poll has failed me though Risen

Where is the

“Who cares? Dak stinks! Cap hell and can’t sign anybody. Doesnt matter who coaches them this team stinks” option

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I think you’re rolling the dice with Ryan believing you can capture the magic from the ’09 & ’10 Jets seasons. What if you get the post ’10 Ryan that admitted to losing the pulse of team (2011 season) while making stupid Super Bowl predictions along the way, and followed that up by not eclipsing a .500 win percentage in his final three years (canned after 4-12 in ’14) with the Jets.

It got worse in Buffalo in ’15 when he inherited a good defense (Top 5 in sacks, takeaways, and yards and points allowed) and turned that into a mess during his two-year tenure. When he got the boot, his defense plummeted to being ranked 24th. Plenty of reports were making rounds during the end of time in Buffalo that Rex lost the defensive half of the locker room.

So, if you could give me hope that RR could come in here swinging his junk left to right and recapture what he had some 14 years ago, I’d be on-board, but I personally just see a self-promoting loudmouth riding brief successes, in a city that really matters, from way too long ago.

I’m down with the foot fetish thing but sadly I must opt for non-fetish stylings of Zimmer. It’s a choice of the lesser of two evils for me. But…if you’re looking for sheer entertainment value, it’s definitely Ryan.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Bart Scott (yeah i know) on the radio just now said Cowboy haters better pray we dont get Rex

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Not thrilled with either option. That being said, I picked Ryan because at least it’s a hire outside of the Jones’ comfort zone.

Zimmer is an accomplished DC but the potential hire just reeks of the Jones’ wanting to be “comfortable”
We did have his brother here already, it's right up Jerry's alley