Zimmer or Ryan?

Who do you want as the next DC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kwyn

Reaction score
Wanting Rex Ryan is just wanting chaos. I don’t think most people wanting him to be here want it because he would install a defense that helps us win games. Bringing gasoline to a house fire is just a bad idea.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Rob Ryan was dud with Dallas.

However I imagine we would all agree that Rex is much better at coaching.

And I am an old fart like many here but I don't care if Buddy was their dad.

Rex does intrigue me as DC. But I do have a few concerns

He has been out of the game for a pretty long time in football years.
What...five or more years than Zimmer?

I am not sure how he would do vs some of the modern offenses

Part of what he did with the Jets was because he could gamble because he could leave
Reavis on an island and not worry about him for the most part.

We might have some DBs that can create turn overs, however I do not think they are
in the same mold of shut down corner like Reavis was.

I think I would be ok with giving either one shots
Kind of would like to see some younger coach this is doing well but also do
not another coach that is learning on the job like Garrett and Kellen.

Probably all moot. I think most would agree that Zimmer is going to be the guy unless some odd ball thing happens

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I think Zimmer is the better fit. But, what intrigues me about Rex is he started as an LB coach and he knows LB and DT play probably better than almost anyone. That to me has been the weakness on defense for over a decade. I wish there was a way to hire him as DL/ LB coach lol.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
With what seems like more than a rumor of the Zimmer negotiations coming to a halt and the reports of how impressed the Cowboys are with Rex Ryan, who do you want to be the defensive coordinator?

Don't pick who you think it will be. Pick who you want it to be.
Studebaker or Edsel?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Ek-inGgX0AoCFSS.jpg

your pick

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zim
I know he wants to just coach, Ryan wants bucks and spotlight.

Flamma

Reaction score
Neither is ideal but Ryan has been out of the league for 7 years. 7. You know how many draft preps he’s missed? How much film he likely hasn’t watched in depth? He’d be entertaining as hell but I’m not sure how we can be happy with a guy nearly out the league a decade.

I’ll go Zimmer because I have to choose from these 2 and there’s not any real other candidates. Think it’ll be him too
That's what they said about Dick Vermeil. Out of the league for 15 years. Came back and won a SB with the Rams.

I'll take Rex because he took a Jets team to two consecutive AFCCGs, beating teams on the road to get there. One year, the Patriots and Colts back to back. And he did it with a crap QB. I'm sure he can handle DC.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Wanting Rex Ryan is just wanting chaos. I don’t think most people wanting him to be here want it because he would install a defense that helps us win games. Bringing gasoline to a house fire is just a bad idea.
Perhaps we need controlled chaos, Kwyn. This defense along with the rest of this team is too gentrified. The teams that advance in the post season field a good number of savage players led by smart warrior coordinators and a relentless head coach.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Perhaps we need controlled chaos, Kwyn. This defense along with the rest of this team is too gentrified. The teams that advance in the post season field a good number of savage players led by smart warrior coordinators and a relentless head coach.
I’m actually on board with a rebuild after next year so I’m not averse to change. What I don’t want to see is chaos for the sake of chaos. Things are bad enough without bringing in elements that will honestly add to a lot of what people are complaining about.

Some of the same folks around here who are furious about parsons having a podcast or players tweeting are in favor of Ryan who is fully a media creature at this point. He’s no longer a coach and hasn’t been for over seven years.

He will constantly be keeping himself in the news and commenting about things that he shouldn’t. He’ll be like Jerry part 2.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Of these two it would be Zimmer, but I was originally for Vrabel or Promoting Whitt or Harris.

Brooksey

Reaction score
With what seems like more than a rumor of the Zimmer negotiations coming to a halt and the reports of how impressed the Cowboys are with Rex Ryan, who do you want to be the defensive coordinator?

Rex Ryan

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Neither?

with that said, what has Ryan done to deserve consideration? he has been out of football sitting in the booth for how many years now?

John813

Reaction score
Well Rob Ryan was dud with Dallas.
However I imagine we would all agree that Rex is much better at coaching.

And I am an old fart like many here but I don't care if Buddy was their dad.

Rex does intrigue me as DC. But I do have a few concerns

He has been out of the game for a pretty long time in football years.
What...five or more years than Zimmer?

I am not sure how he would do vs some of the modern offenses

Part of what he did with the Jets was because he could gamble because he could leave
Reavis on an island and not worry about him for the most part.

We might have some DBs that can create turn overs, however I do not think they are
in the same mold of shut down corner like Reavis was.

I think I would be ok with giving either one shots
Kind of would like to see some younger coach this is doing well but also do
not another coach that is learning on the job like Garrett and Kellen.

Probably all moot. I think most would agree that Zimmer is going to be the guy unless some odd ball thing happens

While I don't disagree with the bold(odd it got kicked out of your quote) I still am miffed that the front office went "all in" getting 2 man cover corners for Rob and then hire a relic from the Tampa 2 zone schemes in Kiffin.
Like they couldn't find a guy that at least ran some type of man based coverages, more frequently, for their 10mil AAV FA corner and top 10 drafted corner?

The out of the league issue is legit in that he goes from being a coach, working long hours most of the year to a cozy ESPN gig where he can BS and get paid.
Does he still have that fire to coach again? And at a demotion at that?
Or is he angling for the long play of being the HC in 2025 if his defense does well?

To me, at least Rob is only 61, so it's not like he's pushing 70+ for a bit

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Will any choice make a difference?

Not short term IMO. Next season is already a joke & then it will get blown up. Only positive is if they finally get the team to spend resources to shore up the front 7 which could pay dividends down the road.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
When you have the lame duck Yes Man as the head coach it does not matter.They are in it for the $$$$