Zimmer to Vikings

khiladi

Reaction score
There are lots of guys I like.

All for the 34.

I thought Todd Bowles was perfect to be the dc with Garrett in 2011. And btw since all of a sudden Newman is the barometer on who is a good coach or not I believe he said Bowles was one of the best he ever payed for and all the guys here were sad to see him go. He was the secondary coach here under zimmer/parcells.

Keith butler in Pittsburgh seems like a guy ready to do this job. Great with the Pittsburgh backers for years.

I like 3-4 based guys who like size and emphasize power.

Build a big strong defense and then that type of thing travels well all over the league.
Turf, grass, wind, rain, heat. Power will prevail.

Clearly not dinosaurs but bigger guys.

I'm a fan of what fangio has done in sf and according to babe a few years ago that is the guy Garrett wanted over everyone but he wanted to go with harbaugh.

Losing both Bowles and Grantham and picking up Paul Pasqualoni and Dave Campo set this defense back to the dark ages.

khiladi

Reaction score
well not much more than I said. Deion hated parcells and tried to get the fans against him everyday around these parts.

Guys like parcells don't tolerate fake people like sanders and sanders wasn't allowed to go to valley ranch and talk to the players so sanders was dead set on going after parcells.

anyway, he had a 103.3 radio show and zimmer went on and ripped everyone. Pretty sure from what I remember it was everyones fault but zimmer's. Newman loves him but he ripped newman and the rest of the secondary, ripped parcells for not letting him coach how he wanted to...whatever.......and on and on...

if it was so bad for him he should have left and took another job. Most love to work for a legend because it makes them better.

Parcells was so sick of the stories in the media about the 43 and the players all whining about it at the end of the 06 season he let zimmer run his 43 against Detroit and it was horrible.

where do you think all that talk came from in the media? I am 100% convinced zimmer was telling the media in 06 that it was all parcells fault and the 34's fault.

I just don't like the guy and fail to see when he has ever accomplished anything at a high level. I like his approach but where are the results? And if you're a tough old school guy why tell the media all this stuff?

The 3-4 was horrible, especially against the Saints when Sean Payton destroyed that defense, and we couldn't cover a basic screen. That set the precedent on how to beat this defense Zimmer can't do anything when Bradie James and Akin are given to him trying to cover in pass protection. There is a reason Kitna said all he had to do was attack Bradie James.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
According to rumor at profootballtalk, looks like Norv Turner will be joining Zimmer in Minn.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wonder if almost 4 years from now if Zimmer will still be looking to break 500 and when asked about it, he will say. "It's a process"

LOL

Zimmer will be lucky to make it to his 3rd season if he's still looking to break 500 after year two. They're looking to win in Minnesota not be mediocre every season. Leslie Frazier who took over the Vikings as the interim HC in 2010 had at least one winning season and a playoff appearance which is something Garrett has yet to accomplish in Dallas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Odds he wins a playoff game before Clapper?

They'll make it to the playoffs before the Cowboys who have yet to bottom out. Even Leslie Frazier who ended up getting fired led the Vikings to the playoffs with a terrible QB situation. If Zimmer can find a solid QB in the draft they'll be in the playoffs while the Cowboys will be battling just to stay at 500 under Garrett who isn't going anywhere until the bottom falls out.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Yeah. I share your pain my friend.

It would have made too much sense for the best offensive coordinator in our franchise's history to return back home to help run Garrett's offense (Really Norv's but you get the point)... I know one thing is for certain, Norv would have given Murray the rock!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
That is because the top 3 problems with the 2003 defense that needed to be addressed and improved upon going into 2004 actually got worse. Dallas needed better talent and production at RDE, RCB and DT. Instead of improving all three of those positions they found guys who weren't as good as the ones they replaced.

Marcellus Wiley replaced Ebenezer Ekuban at RDE and wasn't as good.

Pete Hunter and Lance Frazier replaced Mario Edwards at RCB and weren't as good.

Leonardo Carson replaced Willie Blade at DT and wasn't as good.

You can't take your three weakest areas, make them worse and expect to improve. On top of all that they also lost Darren Woodson to injury. It was not surprising that the 2004 defense was a disaster.

When you're not as good as those guys I guess that means you're actually pretty bad.