Zimmer to Vikings

Boys122

Reaction score
Zimmer is well overdue for a head coaching position, good for him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Welp, yet another team with a brand new staff better than what we're sticking with.

BTW, anything Zimmer might have said negatively about Parcells on Deion's show I'm sure wasn't completely serious, because I've never heard anything but respect both ways on that relationship. Zimmer when Parcells got into the HOF:

"He definitely deserves it; a great coach, a great teacher," Zimmer said by phone. "He was great at understanding the players and pushing them. He knew how to get a team ready to play."

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the Giants, went to another with the Patriots, and took the Jets to an AFC title game. Even though he never reached those heights with the Cowboys, Zimmer was convinced that first year in Dallas when Parcells took a club that had been 10-22 the previous two seasons and took it to 10-6.

"How long you got?" Zimmer said when asked what were the most important things he learned from Parcells. "He'd come into my office every day and say, 'Remember this when you become a head coach.' Every day. He was always coaching. Whether it was golf, horse racing or football, he was always coaching."

And Parcells on Zimmer:

Parcells also said he believes Zimmer’s personality and experience would help him handle the “big picture” demands of being a head coach. Zimmer is a stern disciplinarian who also is respected and admired by his players.

“He’s very competitive, he’s intense,” Parcells said. “I think he’s a smart guy. … Every place that I’ve ever heard that he’s been, the players really liked him. And yet he doesn’t coddle the players at all. He’s got a good balance with that tough love.

“I think now he’s got enough experience to handle the players and the big picture and the scouting and the constraints and the things that the league mandates now. He’s got enough experience to where he’d do a good job. I’m hopeful that things break his way.”

That's what I like about Zimmer, that he can be a hardass with his guys but they still respect and play so hard for him. Newman said when he became a FA and went to work out for the Bengals, the first words out of Zim's mouth were, "Your technique is ****." But Newman and pretty much all his players love him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Happy for Squiggy and I hope he does well with the Vikings.

Aven8

Reaction score
Odds he wins a playoff game before Clapper?

Very high. In fact get them a QB in the top 10 of the draft and we might be talking playoffs in the first season. (remember they are just a year removed from them anyway).

While we will be sitting on the couch for another year!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
what happened to his family was a terrible tragedy but I don't see what that has to do with anything? He has been in a coordinator in this league for a long time so he clearly is a good coach.

I just am not a fan that is all and I am extremely happy he is not coming here. Watching him with that miserable look on his face while balls go down the field at big moments and get us beat is not something I ever want to experience again.

What? Say that again.

What do you think we all saw this past season or the season before?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Who would you want?

There are lots of guys I like.

All for the 34.

I thought Todd Bowles was perfect to be the dc with Garrett in 2011. And btw since all of a sudden Newman is the barometer on who is a good coach or not I believe he said Bowles was one of the best he ever payed for and all the guys here were sad to see him go. He was the secondary coach here under zimmer/parcells.

Keith butler in Pittsburgh seems like a guy ready to do this job. Great with the Pittsburgh backers for years.

I like 3-4 based guys who like size and emphasize power.

Build a big strong defense and then that type of thing travels well all over the league.
Turf, grass, wind, rain, heat. Power will prevail.

Clearly not dinosaurs but bigger guys.

I'm a fan of what fangio has done in sf and according to babe a few years ago that is the guy Garrett wanted over everyone but he wanted to go with harbaugh.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hope he succeeds so he can replace Garrett as the head coach in a couple years.

If he succeeds he'll be staying put. Why the heck would he leave to replace Garrett as another Jerry Jones yes man if he's succeeding in Minnesota? No head coach who's having success coaching another team would leave a good situation to take over a dysfunctional Cowboys team to be another Jerry Jones puppet…get real!

Aven8

Reaction score
Heard on the radio that Clevland has given Zimmer permission to interview none other than, Norv Turner as OC.

And the hits just keep on comin.........!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Its really odd to see all the love for this guy from cowboy fans. When he was here I didn't see much at all. In fact it was the opposite. I've never been impressed with him. He's done well when he had a great dc as a hc. Bp and lewis. He wasn't great under campo or at atl. I hated his defenses when he was here and many cowboy fans did and now there is nothing but love for the guy. Just a little odd

It's a comparison thing.

After watching Garrett blow games in the most unimaginable way possible for almost 4 years, Zimmer looks like freaking Lombardi next to that