Zone Versus man to man

rockj7

Reaction score
I have always wondered and know I am going to ask why do the boys play zone over man to man? :eek::

zekecee

When Posting...Please Use Caution
Reaction score
2 reasons... Small corners and a week strong safety. My 2 cents.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
we will play more man to man once pacman gets comfortable and once Tnew is healthy. BOOK IT!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rockj7;2210606 said:
I have always wondered and know I am going to ask why do the boys play zone over man to man? :eek::
Because when you beat man coverage it is easier for the QB to see it. It is harder to see the breaks in a zone because you watch the positioning of the entire field not just the receivers. Zone is a much harder QB read. It puts pressure on the QB and WRs to have timing.

Zones were created to slow down Bob Hayes. If teams played strictly man and he got a step it was over. By keeping the play in front of the Zones the defense can see everything going on and hopefully react to it.

rockj7

Reaction score
Hostile;2210637 said:
Because when you beat man coverage it is easier for the QB to see it. It is harder to see the breaks in a zone because you watch the positioning of the entire field not just the receivers. Zone is a much harder QB read. It puts pressure on the QB and WRs to have timing.

Zones were created to slow down Bob Hayes. If teams played strictly man and he got a step it was over. By keeping the play in front of the Zones the defense can see everything going on and hopefully react to it.

Thank You Sir for giving the young pup some wisdom

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Our defensive staff is too stubborn to play a system that fits our defensive backs strengths.

JPTEXAS

Reaction score
We need more man(bump and run). Jam the recievers at the line hard. In training camp Pac could jam TO pretty could off the line and would cause a 1-2 second delay in his route. That 1-2 seconds is alot of time for the pass rush to be that much closer to the QB.

What I can't stand the most...The other team will have 3rd and 3 and our corners play 7-10 yards off. That is a easy first down. If the try to stop the play..the chance of a misstackle is greater.

If pacman can play man to man the best..then let the player do what he is best at.

Didn't Primetime play man over zone?

hairic

Reaction score
rockj7;2210606 said:

Depends on the coverage. You sometimes play zone just so your corners don't get picked (run into each other, say, covering crossing routes). Other times it's to take away certain routes. Also, just because they're playing off the receiver doesn't mean they aren't playing a man coverage. They can better stop different routes playing off and also while pressing (they're also more vulnerable to different routes depending on the technique too).

Bluefin

Reaction score
rockj7;2210606 said:
Mickey Spagnola answered this question on the radio the other day and said the staff prefers to force offenses to be patient and march down the field instead of risking giving up a quick score playing man.

That's all well and good, but did we honestly upgrade our corners through the draft and trading because we were content to keep playing like we did last season?

We should see a nice mix of both.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2210694 said:
Evidence?

Evidence for what? It's pretty self explanatory, Jones, Jenkins and Scandrick are man-to-man corners, they've done it their entire career.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Every team plays quite a bit of zone. You can't simply play man-to-man almost all of the time and be successful. In fact, that's a big reason why a lot of offenses use motion, they want the defense to tip their hand as to if they are playing man-to-man versus zone and what type of zone they are playing. If you play man-to-man all of the time, the reads become easier for the QB. Coaches like using zone because it is less likely to give up the huge play and more likely to lead to a pick. Coaches like playing man-to-man because it's simpler to execute and while it's apt to give up the big play, it doesn't rely on getting pressure on the QB. Zone defenses rely on pressure because otherwise the QB will be able to eventually make the read and make the easy throw. Wade's defenses are focused on getting pressure on the QB and making plays, thus he likes the zone scheme and has used zone throughout his career running defenses.

YAKUZA

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
Brandon;2210649 said:
Our defensive staff is too stubborn to play a system that fits our defensive backs strengths.

It might be the coaching staff see's your secondary getting eaten up playing man in practice..Just a thought!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Brandon;2210718 said:
Evidence for what? It's pretty self explanatory, Jones, Jenkins and Scandrick are man-to-man corners, they've done it their entire career.
Evidence that our coaches are too stubborn to play a system that suits our players strengths, like you said.

Don't see how you can make a claim like that when Jenkins and Scandrick will probably barely see the field, and they haven't even played a single game in their careers yet. But whatever.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
redskins1;2210723 said:
It might be the coaching staff see's your secondary getting eaten up playing man in practice..Just a thought!!
I've forgotten more about football than you will ever know, and I haven't forgotten much. I swear I have gas emissions smarter than this.

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2210751 said:
I've forgotten more about football than you will ever know, and I haven't forgotten much. I swear I have gas emissions smarter than this.

your gas emissions must be highly intelligent..:D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
redskins1;2210759 said:
your gas emissions must be highly intelligent..:D
In comparison to what you know about football they are.

I'd explain to you why that post above was dumb, but it would require explaining football and that is above your head.