Zone Versus man to man

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2210765 said:
In comparison to what you know about football they are.

I'd explain to you why that post above was dumb, but it would require explaining football and that is above your head.

Yeah don"t waste your time,you have better things to do!!;)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2210637 said:
Because when you beat man coverage it is easier for the QB to see it. It is harder to see the breaks in a zone because you watch the positioning of the entire field not just the receivers. Zone is a much harder QB read. It puts pressure on the QB and WRs to have timing.

Zones were created to slow down Bob Hayes. If teams played strictly man and he got a step it was over. By keeping the play in front of the Zones the defense can see everything going on and hopefully react to it.

That's a good point I never thought of it like that. However I am wondering if we get up and jam at the line of scrimmage and throw the wR off their routes combined with our pass rush should be lethal. Also considering how the passing is changing to this dink and dunk garbage I'd rather the CB get up in the WR faces. There's a couple of WR that this wouldn't work on but none of them are in our Division so I don't think it matters to much. Also I think we could get more INT's this way.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I would think the key is to be able to play both. The zone takes longer for the young guys to digest and requires more cohesion among the secondary.

I think we will see alot of both this year but the situation will dictate when and where. We will see soon enough, injuries forced our secondary to play conservative last year. I hope we get to see our secondary at full strength this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2210770 said:
That's a good point I never thought of it like that. However I am wondering if we get up and jam at the line of scrimmage and throw the wR off their routes combined with our pass rush should be lethal. Also considering how the passing is changing to this dink and dunk garbage I'd rather the CB get up in the WR faces. There's a couple of WR that this wouldn't work on but none of them are in our Division so I don't think it matters to much. Also I think we could get more INT's this way.
On some plays we will, but you need to ask yourself one question. Does the jam always work? If it did why wouldn't every CB be demanded to use it by every team?

Some posters ridiculously think that it is easy to defend WRs on the NFL level. The closer you play to them the better you are defending them. I've never agreed with that philosophy and apparently college and NFL Defensive coaches don't either since they continue to employ the play off the WR tactic. But what do they know right? They're only paid huge chunks of scratch to do their teaching.

Why do coaches have CBs play off the WR? Ever heard of baiting? Football teams do it all the time. Also when the CBs are off like that it usually signals one of a few things. It is most likely a Zone coverage and being locked onto a man is not as crucial. It is probably more than a couple of yards to the 1st down marker. There is a blitz package being called and they don't want the WR to get beyond the CB and be gone. Finally it is easier to jump a route with a moving start if you make the right read.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brandon;2210718 said:
Evidence for what? It's pretty self explanatory, Jones, Jenkins and Scandrick are man-to-man corners, they've done it their entire career.

And the starters?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Actually Scandrick is more experienced in zone schemes.

And Henry is better at man off or in the zone, while Newman prefers bump and run (man to man).

Newman has repeatedly requested that the coaches use more man to man this season, per reports in the beginning of TC.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If we keep playing zone throughout the season, especially giving receivers those 7-10 yard cushions, blame goes to Jones for rehiring Campo.

Campo loved playing that type of zone coverage over man to man. I don't even know why we rehired him. And don't tell me he is just the DB coach. If we play more zone throughout the year, that is Campo's footprint on this defense whether they are willing to admit it or not.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone would have even cared if it hadn't been mentioned on Hard Knocks.

Zone/Man shouldn't matter with the talent on the defense.

I can just see it now though, it will be a huge deal all season.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2211101 said:
On some plays we will, but you need to ask yourself one question. Does the jam always work? If it did why wouldn't every CB be demanded to use it by every team?

Some posters ridiculously think that it is easy to defend WRs on the NFL level. The closer you play to them the better you are defending them. I've never agreed with that philosophy and apparently college and NFL Defensive coaches don't either since they continue to employ the play off the WR tactic. But what do they know right? They're only paid huge chunks of scratch to do their teaching.

Why do coaches have CBs play off the WR? Ever heard of baiting? Football teams do it all the time. Also when the CBs are off like that it usually signals one of a few things. It is most likely a Zone coverage and being locked onto a man is not as crucial. It is probably more than a couple of yards to the 1st down marker. There is a blitz package being called and they don't want the WR to get beyond the CB and be gone. Finally it is easier to jump a route with a moving start if you make the right read.

This is true. The only team I see playing pump and run more than zone is the Packers maybe because of how the size of their CB's but thats just them. I think it would be better to play a little closer to the LOS. If we can get increase the pressure and force some quick throws those would lead into more mistakes. Their isn't a perfect way to defend the pass however I'd rather go man to man and play close to the LOS then play 7-10 yards off the ball and play zone. Maybe zone is the best way to go. I just want to see the CB's play closer to the LOS zone or man to man doesn't matter. I'd rather seem the play 3 -5 yards from the LOS.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zone is good in certain situations......our team does poorly in Zone coverages most of the time.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Personally, I really don't care what is used. Zone or man, it doesn't matter to me. Both are needed and the team needs to get the DBs to understand and be able to thrive in both.

My only problem with how things were last year was that Dallas seemed to be playing off far more than they really should have.

A lot of people pinned it on Reeves and said that Wade had him so far off because he sucked. Don't get me wrong, Reeves sucked/sucks/will probably always suck but he can only play how the coaches want.

That said, I don't expect to see the team start to press the receivers any more this year than they did last year. What I do expect is to see the DBs contest more of those passes which was something that Reeves could not do to save his life.

Playing off should not mean that you are conceding 10-12 yards whenever the offense wants it. Thats the way it was with Reeves. He simply couldn't come up and make a play and it killed the defense last year.

This year, I expect better. Be it Newman, Henry, Pacman, Jenkins, and Scandrick I expect the DBs to be able to play off and still prevent some of the underneath stuff. At the very least I expect to see some of those passes getting contested which would be a major improvement over what was happening last year.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
why would you ever spend top 5 picks or double digit signing bounuses on zone CBs? That makes zero sense to me.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2211371 said:
why would you ever spend top 5 picks or double digit signing bounuses on zone CBs? That makes zero sense to me.

what are you talking about

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2211379 said:
what are you talking about
Newman was a top 5 pick...has received 2 double digit signing bonuses....Henry has revceived a double digit signing bonus...Jenkins is a 1st round pick...Pac is a former top 10 pick....if they can ball...let's see. We need to play man to man a little more than we do. If we never play man to man, why would you expend the kind of resources that we have. Why draft a stud and ask him to perform like Mario Edwards (who we got in the 6th round)...that is the point I am trying to make.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2211384 said:
Newman was a top 5 pick...has received 2 double digit signing bonuses....Henry has revceived a double digit signing bonus...Jenkins is a 1st round pick...Pac is a former top 10 pick....if they can ball...let's see. We need to play man to man a little more than we do. If we never play man to man, why would you expend the kind of resources that we have. Why draft a stud and ask him to perform like Mario Edwards (who we got in the 6th round)...that is the point I am trying to make.

Oh i see what your saying now.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the corners are geared more to man coverage then it makes sense to practice a lot of zone coverage in pre-season games. They already know how to cover in man, so put them in situations that will help build their skills in zone coverage because over a long regular season and playoffs you have to use a mix of both coverages. That is just the way the league works. If you stick to man all the time, the offenses will find a way to beat you. If you stick to zone all the time, the offenses will find a way to beat you. Zone coverage is typically the one that takes some time to learn and understand especially with rookie corners, so the pre-season is exactly when you want to work on it. I have seen Dallas use both coverages in the pre-season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;2211277 said:
Personally, I really don't care what is used. Zone or man, it doesn't matter to me. Both are needed and the team needs to get the DBs to understand and be able to thrive in both.

My only problem with how things were last year was that Dallas seemed to be playing off far more than they really should have.

A lot of people pinned it on Reeves and said that Wade had him so far off because he sucked. Don't get me wrong, Reeves sucked/sucks/will probably always suck but he can only play how the coaches want.

That said, I don't expect to see the team start to press the receivers any more this year than they did last year. What I do expect is to see the DBs contest more of those passes which was something that Reeves could not do to save his life.

Playing off should not mean that you are conceding 10-12 yards whenever the offense wants it. Thats the way it was with Reeves. He simply couldn't come up and make a play and it killed the defense last year.

This year, I expect better. Be it Newman, Henry, Pacman, Jenkins, and Scandrick I expect the DBs to be able to play off and still prevent some of the underneath stuff. At the very least I expect to see some of those passes getting contested which would be a major improvement over what was happening last year.

Well said.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Rampage;2210687 said:
that corner we got in a trade who is known as a man corner named Pacman.
So let me get this straight... Pacman is a small corner who is known for man to man coverage. Yet the reason that we don't play more man to man is because we have small corners?

Brandon;2210649 said:
Our defensive staff is too stubborn to play a system that fits our defensive backs strengths.
Yeah good call. Our defensive coaches would rather stay in a system that is more tailored to display our CBs weaknesses. They're getting paid millions to WIN. Seems like those stubborn defensive coaches were part of a coaching staff that won 13 games last year, despite being too stubborn not to get out of a defensive system that showcases our players weaknesses. That's a pretty talented defense right there.

Don't think I really need this but just so you're not confused... :rolleyes:

redskins1;2210723 said:
It might be the coaching staff see's your secondary getting eaten up playing man in practice..Just a thought!!
I love threads about football theory. It really highlights those who know football and points out those people who have zero idea as to what they're talking about.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
bbailey423;2211371 said:

If you could just plug garbage CBs into a zone system and have them produce like top 5 picks or high paid CBs, everyone would run a zone and no one would spend money or picks on CBs.

Good CBs are hard to find no matter what.