Zone Versus man to man

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
joseephuss;2211419 said:
If the corners are geared more to man coverage then it makes sense to practice a lot of zone coverage in pre-season games. They already know how to cover in man, so put them in situations that will help build their skills in zone coverage because over a long regular season and playoffs you have to use a mix of both coverages.
What? You mean preseason is used to work on weaknesses and evaluate players? No way!

Hoofbite;2211441 said:
If you could just plug garbage CBs into a zone system and have them produce like top 5 picks or high paid CBs, everyone would run a zone and no one would spend money or picks on CBs.

Good CBs are hard to find no matter what.

:hammer:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2211441 said:
If you could just plug garbage CBs into a zone system and have them produce like top 5 picks or high paid CBs, everyone would run a zone and no one would spend money or picks on CBs.

Good CBs are hard to find no matter what.
Not saying good CBs are easy to find...but what I am saying is that you don't need to spend 50M on a CB and ask him to do what you ask a 5th rounder to do. I am a Senior Systems Engineer on my job, they do not give me assignments they give interns, nor do they pay me like an intern. With the big bucks comes more difficult assignments and greater expecations. Surely you understand that?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
bbailey423;2211491 said:
Not saying good CBs are easy to find...but what I am saying is that you don't need to spend 50M on a CB and ask him to do what you ask a 5th rounder to do.

I am a Senior Systems Engineer on my job, they do not give me assignments they give interns, nor do they pay me like an intern. With the big bucks comes more difficult assignments and greater expecations. Surely you understand that?

What if the interns could do your job?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2211520 said:
What if the interns could do your job?
IF the interns could do my job...I am sure my employer would assess what we do around here and decide to stop investing in senior people (1st round picks) if what we ask them to do around here can be done with interns (5th round picks)

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbailey423;2211540 said:
IF the interns could do my job...I am sure my employer would assess what we do around here and decide to stop investing in senior people (1st round picks) if what we ask them to do around here can be done with interns (5th round picks)
Yet, amazingly enough, NFL coaches and front office types haven't abandoned that philosophy that CBs are good value picks in the first round. Don't you think that if a bunch of 5th-7th Rounders could perform just as well as first rounders on a consistent basis, they would be doing that?

Maybe the 5th-7th rounders CAN'T do what the first rounders can as well??

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
peplaw06;2211566 said:
Yet, amazingly enough, NFL coaches and front office types haven't abandoned that philosophy that CBs are good value picks in the first round. Don't you think that if a bunch of 5th-7th Rounders could perform just as well as first rounders on a consistent basis, they would be doing that?

Maybe the 5th-7th rounders CAN'T do what the first rounders can as well??
This is an endless debate that will be decided on the field...but I will contend that if fans expect our coverage to be vastly improved, it will come from asking the secondary to to things that they were NOT asked to do last year. Simply asking them to do what the did last year with BETTER players will not yield the kinds of expectations many of us want. So I guess we will wait and see. But my vote is that they are going to have to get in somebody's face a little more often than they have done in the past.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbailey423;2211584 said:
This is an endless debate that will be decided on the field...but I will contend that if fans expect our coverage to be vastly improved, it will come from asking the secondary to to things that they were NOT asked to do last year. Simply asking them to do what the did last year with BETTER players will not yield the kinds of expectations many of us want. So I guess we will wait and see. But my vote is that they are going to have to get in somebody's face a little more often than they have done in the past.
Wrong.

There is no debate as to whether 5th-7th rounders consistently perform as well as 1st rounders. There is a decided advantage to the 1st rounders. Do you really believe that it doesn't make one lick of difference whether Pacman, Jenkins and Scandrick are running around back there rather than Jacques and Nate Jones? I don't care what the schemes are, we are better now. We could probably put cement shoes on Pacman and he'd be better than Jacques.

There may be some debate as to whether interns could do your job though.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
peplaw06;2211603 said:
Wrong.

There is no debate as to whether 5th-7th rounders consistently perform as well as 1st rounders. There is a decided advantage to the 1st rounders. Do you really believe that it doesn't make one lick of difference whether Pacman, Jenkins and Scandrick are running around back there rather than Jacques and Nate Jones? I don't care what the schemes are, we are better now. We could probably put cement shoes on Pacman and he'd be better than Jacques.

There may be some debate as to whether interns could do your job though.
taking shots at me trying to strengthen your argument is irrelevant.....playing 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3 is all that matters...and if that does not change I highly doubt the results will with "better players"