Zoners: I am not buying the Rico Crap!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have my own doubts with Rico but I also want to be fair and give him a chance to show what he can do. He has been given time to learn and develop and given the retirement of Witten the time is now for one of these TE to step up and take the job.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I watched ALL of TE Rico Gathers highlights last year before his unfortunate injury and he played "lights out"! He is a man child. Dude can run with a huge body and big hands like no one else. He cannot be covered!

Recently, Coach Garrett mentioned ALL tight ends on the team EXCEPT Rico to the media. I smell a BIG RAT, in the respect that Rico is INDEED Coach Garretts "Favorite TE"
starspin.gif
on the team! I personally believe, the coach got upset with Rico claiming to be so great on twitter....bragging etc. before he had actually done anything. I like what the coach is doing, getting his attention to focus on the team and keep humble.

From Todd Archer: The good of Rico Gathers: he made a nice adjustment on a back-shoulder throw from Cooper Rush. The bad of Rico Gathers: He had a false start in the final compete period and was sent to the sideline.

Rico is having a very good camp so far, and I believe his only downside is experience and focus. If he can stay mentally focused on the field (i.e. NO off sides/missed routes etc.) and keep out of the media then our coach has HUGE RICO plans this year!

Am I Crazy for thinking this way?

GO COWBOYS SUPER BOWL BOUND!
JG said there ain’t much else to do. He has to play football. He need snaps. Are they going to give them to him is the question. He needs to work on his blocking and focus on the presnap and assignments. Witten used to false start once a game. So I am not concerned about that. What is strange is that they have hidden him on PS and IR instead of getting him experience. I guess they are letting him practice as much as possible. This is the last year for him. He must break out in preseason if he is going to make the 53.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We know he can play in preseason. I want to see if he can play regulation.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Strange why they won’t let him. He must be really green. He looked good in preseason except the blocking. And he only made a few small coachable mistakes there. What do you think the issue is?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I watched ALL of TE Rico Gathers highlights last year before his unfortunate injury and he played "lights out"! He is a man child. Dude can run with a huge body and big hands like no one else. He cannot be covered!

Recently, Coach Garrett mentioned ALL tight ends on the team EXCEPT Rico to the media. I smell a BIG RAT, in the respect that Rico is INDEED Coach Garretts "Favorite TE"
starspin.gif
on the team! I personally believe, the coach got upset with Rico claiming to be so great on twitter....bragging etc. before he had actually done anything. I like what the coach is doing, getting his attention to focus on the team and keep humble.

From Todd Archer: The good of Rico Gathers: he made a nice adjustment on a back-shoulder throw from Cooper Rush. The bad of Rico Gathers: He had a false start in the final compete period and was sent to the sideline.

Rico is having a very good camp so far, and I believe his only downside is experience and focus. If he can stay mentally focused on the field (i.e. NO off sides/missed routes etc.) and keep out of the media then our coach has HUGE RICO plans this year!

I think Rico's biggest problem is attitude. My sense is that he is not going to get the benefit of doubt because of his behavior.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think Rico's biggest problem is attitude. My sense is that he is not going to get the benefit of doubt because of his behavior.
He is starting to remind me of bennett. I like some swag but he has to make the team and make some plays first.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Strange why they won’t let him. He must be really green. He looked good in preseason except the blocking. And he only made a few small coachable mistakes there. What do you think the issue is?
I can't gauge anything preseason.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

I think it had not only to do with the injury but I believe the cowboys had their own personal reasons.

I don't buy that Rico had a head injury that long, but I believe Dallas was doing a lot to prevent from losing Rico also.

Hiding, stashing or whatever was going on. Fans keep saying they hope Rico makes the team! He already has.

The FO will not let Rico go unless he proves terrible during this given season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it had not only to do with the injury but I believe the cowboys had their own personal reasons.

I don't buy that Rico had a head injury that long, but I believe Dallas was doing a lot to prevent from losing Rico also.

Hiding, stashing or whatever was going on. Fans keep saying they hope Rico makes the team! He already has.

The FO will not let Rico go unless he proves terrible during this given season.
I know the injury was bs. He was hurt but not for that long. They been stashing and grooming this kid but I believe they are out of options now. It’s go time. Wondering if his attitude is bad or his blocking is that horrid? Hoping he is the star someone on the staff thinks he is.

JustChip

Reaction score
Maybe he's not showing in practice that he's ready or capable of playing. If so, we just got rid of a WR that most on here rag on because he didn't perfect his skills outside of the game so why would we keep a TE that hasn't played football since 8th grade? Regardless of what anyway thinks of them, this staff would be investing heavily in him if he was showing enough progress.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Rico can’t run. He lumbers. He doesn’t run routes correctly, rounded cuts off. He was already hefty for the position and then he put on 20 lbs. He has trouble mastering his assignments and he can’t technically get his blocking skills together. It’s 10 to 1 he won’t make the team

And if he had been able to fix these deficiencies in the offseason, he would have already been getting rave reviews as "the new Rico" in camp.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Rico can’t run. He lumbers. He doesn’t run routes correctly, rounded cuts off. He was already hefty for the position and then he put on 20 lbs. He has trouble mastering his assignments and he can’t technically get his blocking skills together. It’s 10 to 1 he won’t make the team
That means he will be first team TE. ;)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

starspin.gif

actually I have watched several clops from camp and compared to others, he looks really slow and doesn't seem to make sharp cuts. he is just big and uses his body to shield for the catch. I think he is on the bubble. I don't think he is having a good camp. but then you are fan, so you turn blind :)

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yeah thats why in another thread, where someone suggest RB was a position of concern and that we bring one in, I was like who do you want to cut. There not much playing room IMO, because of all the receivers we testing out. Something has to give, and it'll be painful for some people to see their pet cats go.
That's exactly what will happen. Pet cats will be cut or traded, some will not make the practice squad and we will have to listen how terrible the front office is for cutting those guys

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that's what I see. his feet seem slow. he does look big, but has no wiggle.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Only way he makes the team is if we keep 4 TEs. With possibly 3 QBs, 4 RBs, FB, 6 WR it's hard to see 4 TEs
I think he is on a short leash. I doubt if we keep 4 TEs. He has to prove he can play against 1st and 2nd stringers and if he doesn't he probably won't make it. we can't go long on every position and I think we probably will go 3 QBs, 6 WR and 10 DL. that puts his position in jeapordy

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think he is on a short leash. I doubt if we keep 4 TEs. He has to prove he can play against 1st and 2nd stringers and if he doesn't he probably won't make it. we can't go long on every position and I think we probably will go 3 QBs, 6 WR and 10 DL. that puts his position in jeapordy
That's my line of thinking as well. Was hoping to only carry 2 QBs but I just don't see it without a trade. If it was a trade Rush would be the one traded and that leaves us with a 5th round rookie as a backup. Maybe next year we only go with 2 QBs but this year almost has to be 3

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's my line of thinking as well. Was hoping to only carry 2 QBs but I just don't see it without a trade. If it was a trade Rush would be the one traded and that leaves us with a 5th round rookie as a backup. Maybe next year we only go with 2 QBs but this year almost has to be 3
Why 3 QB? We may be able to put White on PS without him getting poached. Unless he rips it up in preseason. He will have to be really good to unseat Rush at 2.