Zoners: I liked what was displayed last night!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners: The Chargers DID NOT beat us last night.

--Our D came out and was hitting hard and the offense was going to have a 1st down and our BEST WR drops a first down--crap happens!

--Then SD gets up 3 to zero

--ROMO is doing his thing and bang he does not see the Saftey....ROMO is going to be fine....he is great!:starspin

What I really liked the most?

--OFFENSIVE LINE

--WOW.....did you see these OL players move? Smith, Nagy, Arkin etc......all the young guys looking for someone to hit.....FELIX never looked so good at picking up the Blitz and running between the tackles....he is in for a huge year!

--DEFENSE

--They are still learning the packages, however I love the attitude Ryan has brought to this team Zoners!

--Did you notice how hard they are playing? Running to the ball? HITTING HARD! wOW.....this is going to be a great year again to watch the Cowboys!

What did you folks see that you liked? What did I miss? :starspin

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
I guess I watched a different game.I heard all week how great we scrimaged and we stunk it up last night.That Romo interception was ugly.Same old secondary same old deffensive line all were ugly.At least Buehler didn't shank a field goal.Sorry but its the same old stuff.When is Rob Ryan going to do something here--all the hype and the defense laid down agian more or less.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Sorry, they got beat fairly convincingly. When WRs drop passes and the QB throws an int, that still counts. The DL was getting blown off the line of scrimmage. The RB was never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield. The CBs can't cover anyone man on man and I know the starters didn't play but they couldn't cover anyone last year either. That D looked just like last year's D, right down to the playcalling. Ryan did a great Wade Phillips impersonation, come out aggressive, get beat once, and get conservative the rest of the game.

The O could be good but still has the same exact issues, that being someone seems to make a drive killing mistake every posession and it comes down to whether or not Romo can overcome it. It seems like he can only do that every 3rd or 4th posession.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;4060524 said:
I guess I watched a different game.I heard all week how great we scrimaged and we stunk it up last night.That Romo interception was ugly.Same old secondary same old deffensive line all were ugly.At least Buehler didn't shank a field goal.Sorry but its the same old stuff.When is Rob Ryan going to do something here--all the hype and the defense laid down agian more or less.
lol...

I guess if you don't have the number one ranked defense after four weeks of practice and two preseason games, people are going to begin to wonder when you're going to do something. Seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;4060524 said:
I guess I watched a different game.I heard all week how great we scrimaged and we stunk it up last night.That Romo interception was ugly.Same old secondary same old deffensive line all were ugly.At least Buehler didn't shank a field goal.Sorry but its the same old stuff.

Thank you, Chicken Little, now for a fact check...

That "same old secondary same old deffensive (sic) line" that was so "ugly" held the Chargers to a grand total of 239 yards of offense... this was the team that led the entire league last year in total offense and was second in passing offense, and held them to 3.5 yards per carry, and 4.3 yards per play overall...

I'd suggest that if you find those stats unacceptable, you'll never be satisfied with any defensive effort...

When is Rob Ryan going to do something here--all the hype and the defense laid down agian more or less.

That smells like bovine fecal matter to me...

The only problems I had with the Boys last night were 1) the complete breakdown that led to the Chargers' first TD pass, and 2) committing 3 turnovers while forcing none... I figure the first problem will be largely eliminated as the team gets a better grasp of Ryan's defensive schemes (they haven't been working on it for a month yet), but the second worries me some (as much for the lack of turnovers forced as for the turnovers committed)... you're not gonna beat many teams when you're minus three in turnover differential...

Other than that, though, the Boys pretty much controlled the game; it's nearly impossible to have a greater time of possession when you commit 3 turnovers, but they did exactly that... meanwhile, they allowed exactly one play by the Chargers' running game, Ryan Matthews' 15 yard TD... and after that early 29 yard completion to Vincent Jackson, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the rest of the game throwing little more than dumpoff passes...

IOW, this ol' Bear is real satsified with what I saw from the Boys last night, for the most part...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
peplaw06;4060553 said:
lol...

I guess if you don't have the number one ranked defense after four weeks of practice and two preseason games, people are going to begin to wonder when you're going to do something. Seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

I think people have been waiting for longer than 4 weeks. More like 4 years.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;4060475 said:
Zoners: The Chargers DID NOT beat us last night.

--Our D came out and was hitting hard and the offense was going to have a 1st down and our BEST WR drops a first down--crap happens!

--Then SD gets up 3 to zero

--ROMO is doing his thing and bang he does not see the Saftey....ROMO is going to be fine....he is great!:starspin

What I really liked the most?

--OFFENSIVE LINE

--WOW.....did you see these OL players move? Smith, Nagy, Arkin etc......all the young guys looking for someone to hit.....FELIX never looked so good at picking up the Blitz and running between the tackles....he is in for a huge year!

--DEFENSE

--They are still learning the packages, however I love the attitude Ryan has brought to this team Zoners!

--Did you notice how hard they are playing? Running to the ball? HITTING HARD! wOW.....this is going to be a great year again to watch the Cowboys!

What did you folks see that you liked? What did I miss? :starspin

I saw the refs kill a beautiful drive in the 3rd quarter. would have been a 98 yard TD drive..Penalties in todays NFL is just a no-no you cannot win with them thats got to stop, Again Its a process i cant wait to see what happens against the Jets..

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CATCH17;4060562 said:
I think people have been waiting for longer than 4 weeks. More like 4 years.
People have been waiting 4 years for Rob Ryan to do something here? Who knew?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060534 said:
Sorry, they got beat fairly convincingly. When WRs drop passes and the QB throws an int, that still counts. The DL was getting blown off the line of scrimmage. The RB was never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield. The CBs can't cover anyone man on man and I know the starters didn't play but they couldn't cover anyone last year either. That D looked just like last year's D, right down to the playcalling. Ryan did a great Wade Phillips impersonation, come out aggressive, get beat once, and get conservative the rest of the game.

The O could be good but still has the same exact issues, that being someone seems to make a drive killing mistake every posession and it comes down to whether or not Romo can overcome it. It seems like he can only do that every 3rd or 4th posession.

I don't know about getting beat Convincingly.

They averaged just over 3 ypc in the running game, we averaged over 5 ypc. We had over 313 yd total O to their 239. Our 3rd down conversion rate was over 60% theirs was 45%. There are some very good positives that come out of this game, to see it other wise is just being negative to be negative.

We made some very bad mistakes to be certain. The Romo pick was bad, should have never been thrown. The missed block that caused another fumble was bad. The blown coverage that allowed an easy td was bad. We have work to do, but to say we were destroyed is a drastic overstatement.

Did you ever think that the plan going into the game was to run our Defense in it's entirety for a brief time and then go to a more base D as not to put to much out there? I highly doubt the long pass had any baring on the play calling for D last night.

Falcon554

Reaction score
silverbear;4060561 said:
Thank you, Chicken Little, now for a fact check...

That "same old secondary same old deffensive (sic) line" that was so "ugly" held the Chargers to a grand total of 239 yards of offense... this was the team that led the entire league last year in total offense and was second in passing offense, and held them to 3.5 yards per carry, and 4.3 yards per play overall...

I'd suggest that if you find those stats unacceptable, you'll never be satisfied with any defensive effort...

That smells like bovine fecal matter to me...

The only problems I had with the Boys last night were 1) the complete breakdown that led to the Chargers' first TD pass, and 2) committing 3 turnovers while forcing none... I figure the first problem will be largely eliminated as the team gets a better grasp of Ryan's defensive schemes (they haven't been working on it for a month yet), but the second worries me some (as much for the lack of turnovers forced as for the turnovers committed)... you're not gonna beat many teams when you're minus three in turnover differential...

Other than that, though, the Boys pretty much controlled the game; it's nearly impossible to have a greater time of possession when you commit 3 turnovers, but they did exactly that... meanwhile, they allowed exactly one play by the Chargers' running game, Ryan Matthews' 15 yard TD... and after that early 29 yard completion to Vincent Jackson, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the rest of the game throwing little more than dumpoff passes...

IOW, this ol' Bear is real satsified with what I saw from the Boys last night, for the most part...

Your very easy to satisfy then

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
What I did NOT like: The Romo INT was troubling. He had time to throw and the S was not disguising his coverage. I don't mind Romo making mistakes except for rookie mistakes, and that's what that one was. And Romo knows it; the expression on his face said as much.

What I liked: Tanner at RB. Wow! He has the right approach and plays smart. Dallas may have found a reason now to trade Choice for a second day pick.

silverbear

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060534 said:
Sorry, they got beat fairly convincingly.

Guess you don't know what the preseason is supposed to be about... here's a hint, it's not about wins and losses...

The DL was getting blown off the line of scrimmage. The RB was never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield.

Perhaps you should try watching the game sober, then you might avoid making such comically ridiculous assertions...

Those backs who were "never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield averaged 3.5 yards per carry in the game (that's 26 carries for 92 yards, do the math)... I guess they got 3-4 yards downfield and promptly fell down at first contact, eh??

ROTFLMAO...

The CBs can't cover anyone man on man

Ah, that explains why the Chargers torched us for 300 yards passing... oh wait, they didn't even gain half of that...

If you had been sober while watching the game, you might realize (as I do) that with the odd exception like Vincent Jackson's 29 yard catch early, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the game throwing short dumpoffs, little more than long handoffs... though they completed over 70 per cent of their passes, they only averaged 7.4 yards per COMPLETION... again, that's not yards per attempt, that's yards per completion...

From that, I conclude that the secondary had pretty good coverage downfield, most of the time... that's why the Chargers had to go to the underneath stuff...

If I'm being too subtle for you, your rant bears little relationship to reality...

silverbear

Reaction score
ilovejerry;4060565 said:
Again Its a process i cant wait to see what happens against the Jets..

I agree completely... and I generally don't care for "me, too" posts...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
It was painfully obvious who the better team was lastnight and who will be better going into the future.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060534 said:

It was 10 - 7 when all the starters went out (except for the Chargers starters, which except for the QB all stayed in another possession)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
As with all preseason games, and games in general to be honest, there were things I saw that I was very pleased with and some things I didn't like.

I didn't like the Romo pick. That was a bad throw but they happen. I'm not going to scream that Romo sucks over it.

I liked the offense getting some points on the board and on the TD to Witten I did like the time Romo was given and then of course created just a bit more as well with his movement. That was good.

Dez isn't going to drop many passes like that one last night so I'm not worried there.

The defense isn't going to keep people from scoring every time but I thought they played pretty decent. They'll improve.

I think it's going to be up and down, early in the year, but I do think we're seeing the foundations laid that will allow this team to start getting better and better as the year goes along.

And Felix Jones is looking darn good out there. He's looking like he's ready for a seriously huge, break out, season.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Liked what i saw from the O line ... and from Felix Jones. Maybe Felix can stay healthy for more than 4-5 games this year *shrug*

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4060599 said:
It was painfully obvious who the better team was lastnight and who will be better going into the future.
The people who act like the score is the complaint are setting up strawmen once again. The Chargers were and are the physically superior team. Ryan and Garrett can only do so much.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;4060524 said:

Cowboys22;4060534 said:
Yeah, I would never get too worked up one way or another about much of anything in preseason, but in reading this morning I wondered if I was seeing the same game as everyone else, too. "We're hitting so much harder"... "We're tackling so much better"... "We dominated them in practice all week"... Huh? Were we not down 17-7 in the first half when most of the better players were in? Was Rivers not something like 7 of 9 with 1 TD and no INTs? Did Romo not thrown a bad INT? Were there not dumb penalties in the OL in the second half?

Again, it doesn't mean anything as far as how the season will go, but it's weird to see so much praise for what happened last night.