Zoners: I liked what was displayed last night!

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Norv Turner could pick any Jerry team apart all-day-long, like he has since he left Dallas. Lastnight was no different, he sees the weakness and pounces with no mercy, with little competition like resistance is futile ... and convincing.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The game was what I expected. SD an all around better team, yet some good stuff from the Dallas offense.

The troubling thing to me was Romo's pick, and then the lazy pass to Witten in the endzone. The pass was not well-thrown, didn't have zip, didn't lead Witten when the room to do so was there. He was fortunate that wasn't a 2nd pick.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from the OL. Tanner, Church, Felix. I also liked the offensive system Garrett seems to be building. Maybe it just looks different because he now has the liberty to run to the right. I know I've mention the OL, but I have to single out Smith. The guy is a man child.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
silverbear;4060595 said:
Guess you don't know what the preseason is supposed to be about... here's a hint, it's not about wins and losses...

Perhaps you should try watching the game sober, then you might avoid making such comically ridiculous assertions...

Those backs who were "never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield averaged 3.5 yards per carry in the game (that's 26 carries for 92 yards, do the math)... I guess they got 3-4 yards downfield and promptly fell down at first contact, eh??

ROTFLMAO...

Ah, that explains why the Chargers torched us for 300 yards passing... oh wait, they didn't even gain half of that...

If you had been sober while watching the game, you might realize (as I do) that with the odd exception like Vincent Jackson's 29 yard catch early, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the game throwing short dumpoffs, little more than long handoffs... though they completed over 70 per cent of their passes, they only averaged 7.4 yards per COMPLETION... again, that's not yards per attempt, that's yards per completion...

From that, I conclude that the secondary had pretty good coverage downfield, most of the time... that's why the Chargers had to go to the underneath stuff...

If I'm being too subtle for you, your rant bears little relationship to reality...

The only stat I care about is the score. I know what I saw and it was more of the same from last year. There may have been a few stops for no gain that make your pretty little stats look better but most of the time they ran the ball, the back was 3-4 yards downfield before he was touched. The MLB never makes the play at the line, he is always downfield. I know its the preseason and you can never be sure what the coaches are thinking or what they are working on but I'm not seeing much that tells me Ryan's scheme is going to make our collection of underacheivers any better as a whole. We've been hearing all about how great Scandrick has been doing in camp and he comes out and gets tourched just like last year. That type of thing happens all the time. Miller is another example. They've been pumping his jock all camp and he is completely worthless with the ball in his hand. I'll give him the nice block but if we ever need the 3rd RB in a game, give me Choice or Tanner over him any day.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Falcon554;4060590 said:
Your very easy to satisfy then

I think it's more likely that your standards are ridiculously high... but we already knew that, didn't we??

silverbear

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;4060591 said:
What I did NOT like: The Romo INT was troubling. He had time to throw and the S was not disguising his coverage. I don't mind Romo making mistakes except for rookie mistakes, and that's what that one was. And Romo knows it; the expression on his face said as much.

It was a boneheaded throw, no doubt about it... but I'm gonna cut him some slack, he doesn't do that very often...

I was disturbed about the turnover differential margin, and the occasional complete breakdown in responsibilities...

However, there was a lot that I liked... all in all, I thought it was a pretty good preseason effort, no matter what the final score was...

NinePointOh

Reaction score
We played without our top two corners -- so no, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that our second and third string defensive backs "can't cover" the starters of the #1 ranked offense in the NFL. In fact, holding them to a 10-7 lead when we sat our starters down, despite the Chargers starting with great field position on almost every drive, is a pretty decent showing.

Giving up an average of 20 points per game, over the course of a full regular season, would make you an average-to-above-average defense. To be sure, there were defensive breakdowns that need to be fixed, but the much bigger problem was committing 3 turnovers.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
silverbear;4060645 said:
I think it's more likely that your standards are ridiculously high... but we already knew that, didn't we??

Absolutely, how could anyone really expect Dallas to be as good as San Diego whose Fans are so dedicated to the team that Stadium was empty by the 4th Quarter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
silverbear;4060649 said:
It was a boneheaded throw, no doubt about it... but I'm gonna cut him some slack, he doesn't do that very often...

I was disturbed about the turnover differential margin, and the occasional complete breakdown in responsibilities...

However, there was a lot that I liked... all in all, I thought it was a pretty good preseason effort, no matter what the final score was...

I agree. Romo pass was a bad pass, it is going to happen and it happens to every QB out there. I really have no concerns with Tony

adamknite

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060642 said:
The only stat I care about is the score. I know what I saw and it was more of the same from last year. There may have been a few stops for no gain that make your pretty little stats look better but most of the time they ran the ball, the back was 3-4 yards downfield before he was touched. The MLB never makes the play at the line, he is always downfield. I know its the preseason and you can never be sure what the coaches are thinking or what they are working on but I'm not seeing much that tells me Ryan's scheme is going to make our collection of underacheivers any better as a whole. We've been hearing all about how great Scandrick has been doing in camp and he comes out and gets tourched just like last year. That type of thing happens all the time. Miller is another example. They've been pumping his jock all camp and he is completely worthless with the ball in his hand. I'll give him the nice block but if we ever need the 3rd RB in a game, give me Choice or Tanner over him any day.

Preseason games are not about the score.

and are you really complaining about our possible 3rd/4th string RB not being as good as he seemed in practice? I mean seriously.. that is precisely what these games are about, Miller isn't that great... ok well he's probably going to be cut then. Just like a million 3rd/4th string practice squad guys before him have been.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
NinePointOh;4060657 said:
In fact, holding them to a 10-7 lead when we sat our starters down, despite the Chargers starting with great field position on almost every drive, is a pretty decent showing.

That'd be nice if we weren't talking about what, 3 or 4 posessions. Their starters were on pace to score 40 points last night. They also did a lot of the work on the other TD drive against our starters. The starters were in up until Sensy made the int that was called back and that was with their backup QB as well.

Woods

Reaction score
NinePointOh;4060657 said:
We played without our top two corners -- so no, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that our second and third string defensive backs "can't cover" the starters of the #1 ranked offense in the NFL. In fact, holding them to a 10-7 lead when we sat our starters down, despite the Chargers starting with great field position on almost every drive, is a pretty decent showing.

Giving up an average of 20 points per game, over the course of a full regular season, would make you an average-to-above-average defense. To be sure, there were defensive breakdowns that need to be fixed, but the much bigger problem was committing 3 turnovers.

This was a huge contributing factor to losing 20-7.

Not to mention, we didn't force any turnovers.

-3 in the turnover battle isn't going to get you a lot of wins . . . .

But all in all, I think we're seeing progress from the team.

I wish we could see how they perform with the two starting CBs and Austin on offense as well.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
We need patience this year. The pieces are being assembled, and I like the coaching staff, but it was clear last night that the Chargers are a better team and have better depth. We just need patience with the defense until they get comfortable with Ryans scheme. Oh, and also, we could use some corners that can cover.

:laugh2:

Marktui

Reaction score
peplaw06;4060553 said:
lol...

I guess if you don't have the number one ranked defense after four weeks of practice and two preseason games, people are going to begin to wonder when you're going to do something. Seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

:bow::bow::bow:

silverbear

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060642 said:
The only stat I care about is the score.

Which demonstrates that you know absolutely nothing about preseason...

I know what I saw and it was more of the same from last year.

I suggest that you watch the replay sans cerveza... seriously...

There may have been a few stops for no gain that make your pretty little stats look better but most of the time they ran the ball, the back was 3-4 yards downfield before he was touched.

Don't eat that, grandma, that's horsecrap... here are the FACTS:

First, I'm not counting Tolzien's kneeldown for -2 yards on the final play of the game, it was just a kneeldown...

So, on the other 25 carries, the Boys:

Had 4 stops for no gain, or for a loss...

Had 10 rushes defensed for 2 yards or less...

Had 15 rushes defensed for 3 yards or less...

Had 20 rushes defensed for 4 yards or less... that's 80 PER CENT of the Charger's running plays...

Had 1 carry for 5 yards, 1 for 6 yards... which means:

They had 3 carries for what I'd call big gains-- 8 yards, 15 yards for a TD, and 17 yards...

So now, it's bullcrap when you say "most of the time they ran the ball, the back was 3-4 yards downfield before he was touched"... indeed, on 80 per cent of the Chargers' carries, they gained 4 yards or less... I don't care what you think you saw, which brings us back to the dangers of trying to analyze play when intoxicated...

FWIW, those stats come from Yahoo's play by play... you could look them up...

Here endeth the lesson... if you're wise, you'll run, not walk away from this argument, because the FACTS show that you didn't see what you think you saw...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4060628 said:
The game was what I expected. SD an all around better team, yet some good stuff from the Dallas offense.

The troubling thing to me was Romo's pick, and then the lazy pass to Witten in the endzone. The pass was not well-thrown, didn't have zip, didn't lead Witten when the room to do so was there. He was fortunate that wasn't a 2nd pick.
The troubling thing to you was the touchdown pass???

I'm sending out laxatives today, PM me your address.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys22;4060642 said:
PRE-SEASON!

That is all ..

#reality

silverbear

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4060662 said:
Absolutely, how could anyone really expect Dallas to be as good as San Diego whose Fans are so dedicated to the team that Stadium was empty by the 4th Quarter.

Exactly what does that have to do with what happened on the field??

ROTFLMAO...

Mansta54

Reaction score
silverbear;4060595 said:
Guess you don't know what the preseason is supposed to be about... here's a hint, it's not about wins and losses...

Perhaps you should try watching the game sober, then you might avoid making such comically ridiculous assertions...

Those backs who were "never even touched until he was 3-4 yards downfield averaged 3.5 yards per carry in the game (that's 26 carries for 92 yards, do the math)... I guess they got 3-4 yards downfield and promptly fell down at first contact, eh??

ROTFLMAO...

Ah, that explains why the Chargers torched us for 300 yards passing... oh wait, they didn't even gain half of that...

If you had been sober while watching the game, you might realize (as I do) that with the odd exception like Vincent Jackson's 29 yard catch early, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the game throwing short dumpoffs, little more than long handoffs... though they completed over 70 per cent of their passes, they only averaged 7.4 yards per COMPLETION... again, that's not yards per attempt, that's yards per completion...

From that, I conclude that the secondary had pretty good coverage downfield, most of the time... that's why the Chargers had to go to the underneath stuff...

If I'm being too subtle for you, your rant bears little relationship to reality...

Very well said!! :bow: I don't know if people really understand what preseason is all about. Some of the responses are unbelievable and amusing..

silverbear

Reaction score
adamknite;4060666 said:
Preseason games are not about the score.

The fact that Cowboy22 doesn't grasp that simple fact tells us all we need to know about his all-but-nonexistent football knowledge...

and are you really complaining about our possible 3rd/4th string RB not being as good as he seemed in practice? I mean seriously.. that is precisely what these games are about, Miller isn't that great... ok well he's probably going to be cut then. Just like a million 3rd/4th string practice squad guys before him have been.

Go easy on him, I shredded his "our run defense sucks" argument, he had to find some kind of fallback position... LOL...