Zoners: I liked what was displayed last night!

Mansta54

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060642 said:
The only stat I care about is the score.

This line alone explains your knowledsge of the game and preseason. IT'S PRESEASON, the score is the least important issue.. OMG!!:rolleyes:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060670 said:
That'd be nice if we weren't talking about what, 3 or 4 posessions. Their starters were on pace to score 40 points last night.

I'm repeating myself, but once again, that ain't nothing but bullcrap...

Their starters scored 17 points in the first half (which, if they did as well in the second half against our starters, like in a real game, would work out to 34 points, not 40), and the last TD came with all their starters on the field except for Rivers, while we had our second stringers in...

I'm forced to conclude that I was right at the start, when I said you must have been quite drunk while watching the game...

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;4060674 said:
This was a huge contributing factor to losing 20-7.

Not to mention, we didn't force any turnovers.

-3 in the turnover battle isn't going to get you a lot of wins . . . .

But all in all, I think we're seeing progress from the team.

I wish we could see how they perform with the two starting CBs and Austin on offense as well.

You hit the nail right on the head with this post, well said...

silverbear

Reaction score
Mansta54;4060699 said:
Very well said!! :bow: I don't know if people really understand what preseason is all about. Some of the responses are unbelievable and amusing..

What got me going in this thread was a few posters who just couldn't wait to crap all over CrazyCowboy's enthusiasm... they hijacked his fine thread, just to spew their ignorance... they could easily have started a thread to spread their crapola, but noooo, that wasn't good enough for them...

CC I want you to know that some of us appreciate your (sometimes cockeyed) optimism... don't ever change... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Mansta54;4060707 said:
This line alone explains your knowledsge of the game and preseason. IT'S PRESEASON, the score is the least important issue.. OMG!!:rolleyes:

It's un-freaking-believable, isn't it??

Still, posts like that serve one useful purpose, they let us know whose opinion is not worth serious consideration...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
You can be in denial if you want, and with the direction this team is going the arrow may be turning up at some point.

However, the actual product being consumed in Dallas pales to the product being produced in San Diego. Ofcorse there are many other examples around the NFL and sure we were spoiled to a winning franchise at one time. Ask Steelers Fans or Greenbay Fans if they deserve what the Cowboys have been dragged through by an Owner/GM or for any reason.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4060750 said:
You can be in denial if you want, and with the direction this team is going the arrow may be turning up at some point.

However, the actual product being consumed in Dallas pales to the product being produced in San Diego. Ofcorse there are many other examples around the NFL and sure we were spoiled to a winning franchise at one time. Ask Steelers Fans or Greenbay Fans if they deserve what the Cowboys have been dragged through by an Owner/GM or for any reason.
I'm going to be excited about this season beginning no matter what you say. Call it denial if you wish. I'm just not one of those who is going to bemoan all the things that are wrong with this team after 2 preseason games.

You're not going to take my optimism away.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4060750 said:
You can be in denial if you want

I repeat ....... it was 10-7 when the starters went out.

The Chargers are the better team at the moment. I do not think it will be that way by the end of the year.

rynochop

Reaction score
I heard a stat this morning that the Colts in the last 10 years have more pre-season losses than regular season losses.

Thankfully once the preseason is over you never hear a game referenced again. ha

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy - I love your optimism and your positive attitude. Keep it up, man...every time you post I click and read every word.

I also agree with you 100%.

CCBoy

Reaction score
peplaw06;4060769 said:
I'm going to be excited about this season beginning no matter what you say. Call it denial if you wish. I'm just not one of those who is going to bemoan all the things that are wrong with this team after 2 preseason games.

You're not going to take my optimism away.

Exactly...as if this is our first dance as a Cowboys' fan.

CCBoy

Reaction score
silverbear;4060561 said:
Thank you, Chicken Little, now for a fact check...

That "same old secondary same old deffensive (sic) line" that was so "ugly" held the Chargers to a grand total of 239 yards of offense... this was the team that led the entire league last year in total offense and was second in passing offense, and held them to 3.5 yards per carry, and 4.3 yards per play overall...

I'd suggest that if you find those stats unacceptable, you'll never be satisfied with any defensive effort...

That smells like bovine fecal matter to me...

The only problems I had with the Boys last night were 1) the complete breakdown that led to the Chargers' first TD pass, and 2) committing 3 turnovers while forcing none... I figure the first problem will be largely eliminated as the team gets a better grasp of Ryan's defensive schemes (they haven't been working on it for a month yet), but the second worries me some (as much for the lack of turnovers forced as for the turnovers committed)... you're not gonna beat many teams when you're minus three in turnover differential...

Other than that, though, the Boys pretty much controlled the game; it's nearly impossible to have a greater time of possession when you commit 3 turnovers, but they did exactly that... meanwhile, they allowed exactly one play by the Chargers' running game, Ryan Matthews' 15 yard TD... and after that early 29 yard completion to Vincent Jackson, the Chargers' QBs spent most of the rest of the game throwing little more than dumpoff passes...

IOW, this ol' Bear is real satsified with what I saw from the Boys last night, for the most part...

Bear, target on as always....what Dallas needed to prove and did last night, was that it could hang with a top offensive producer/scorer in the NFL. That it did do. And the rest is development and direction...but the core is there for this coaching staff to bring out.

What happened yesterday, was a baptism of fire. That always develops up the participants.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
--Our D came out and was hitting hard and the offense was going to have a 1st down and our BEST WR that played yesterday drops a first down--crap happens!

Fify
CrazyCowboy;4060475 said:
Zoners: The Chargers DID NOT beat us last night.

--Our D came out and was hitting hard and the offense was going to have a 1st down and our BEST WR drops a first down--crap happens!

--Then SD gets up 3 to zero

--ROMO is doing his thing and bang he does not see the Saftey....ROMO is going to be fine....he is great!:starspin

What I really liked the most?

--OFFENSIVE LINE

--WOW.....did you see these OL players move? Smith, Nagy, Arkin etc......all the young guys looking for someone to hit.....FELIX never looked so good at picking up the Blitz and running between the tackles....he is in for a huge year!

--DEFENSE

--They are still learning the packages, however I love the attitude Ryan has brought to this team Zoners!

--Did you notice how hard they are playing? Running to the ball? HITTING HARD! wOW.....this is going to be a great year again to watch the Cowboys!

What did you folks see that you liked? What did I miss? :starspin

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
rynochop;4060901 said:
I heard a stat this morning that the Colts in the last 10 years have more pre-season losses than regular season losses.

Thankfully once the preseason is over you never hear a game referenced again. ha

Unless you're on this site. You'll hear it referenced the first time we give up a passing touchdown in the regular season.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4060670 said:
Their starters were on pace to score 40 points last night.

Not even close. Our starters sat after Sensabaugh's overturned INT, with about 4:30 left in the half. That's about 42% of the way through the game, and the Chargers had 10 points -- that's on pace for 23 points, by an offense that averaged 28 points per game last year, without either of our starting corners.

And that's after our offense and special teams let them start at the 37, the 43, and the 39 on the first three drives.

The defense was far from perfect and had some breakdowns that need to be fixed, but our offense's turnovers (all of which happened in Charger territory) were the much bigger problem.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm generally pretty optimistic, and I don't pay any attention to how the games look in preseason. But I think the Chargers are just a better team than we are pretty much across the board.

As for the game, I wasn't bummed by our performance--though we did some dumb things and had some mental errors again--but we've got a lot of work to do before we're an elite team again. Honestly, though, I was just happy to have a game to watch and to have a team I can envision as being on the upswing to root for.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;4060905 said:
CrazyCowboy - I love your optimism and your positive attitude. Keep it up, man...every time you post I click and read every word.

I also agree with you 100%.

Listen, I appreciate it, however I am DEAD SERIOUS. Why?

1. I watch how Garrett ran this yrs training camp compared to last years

2. The OL upgrades in Smith, Arkin, Nagly etc......they are fast and strong...not slow, fat and old

3. Attitude in a positive way. Did you see the hustle last night? Sensey was really hitting hard last night.... Ware was awesome......RYAN is rubbing off on this D

4. It is preseason and we are looking at a bunch of young players and trying to decide who can make this team......whereas, SD has a more veteran bunch and they know the direction fo the team.

I am just really excited about this year. It is great to have a leader like Coach Garrett to point us in the right direction.

Go Cowboys!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Greats:

I thought Romo looked pretty sharp, although that INT was horrible, and he had all day to throw the ball. He SHOULD clean that up by start of season.

I thought the offensive line was AMAZING.

The running game was off the charts, and the receivers were opened. Had Dez caught that ball, I think he may have had a chance to score because he was running away from the DB at the time the ball reached his hands. Witten was studly as usual.

The blitz pick up was FIRST CLASS, thanks Felix for saving our QB.

I thought the secondary was lousy but Sensabaugh made some great plays, a few break ups that I loved.

Ware looked pretty good as usual.

We need to get our starters back for at least the 2nd to last game of preseason on defense so that I can get a better assessment.

BAD:

Romo can't throw that ball there with that type protection.

Dez can't drop a 1st down pass, forget about the run afterward, when it's 3rd down, you need the 1st down FIRST.

Secondary had break downs that cost a touch down. Seemed like they moved the ball down the field pretty easy, that really sucks. Spencer is sorry, there's no other way to put it. I'd like to see Butler in there and Spencer can come off the bench.

I hate the new kick off rule.

Our 2nd teamers need to pick it up because a lot of them will be front runners upon injuries. Ogletree needs to dominate second team defenses, he's not so far.