Zoners: Spencer... what was he thinking?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Spencer hurt himself with a very bad choice of phrase. What he actually said was that he was making a lot of mistakes last year through inattention to detail, and he discovered it by reviewing game tape.

This is the kind of stuff we hear after every bad year, though. Spencer's a better player than we care to admit, and it's very possible he turns in a very good year this year. It would really help us if he did. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TD-33;4095714 said:
*Cough* Jenkins

Jenkins comes into question after last season no doubt about it. But like many organization the people now running things will do it their way and their expectation placed on the players not what took place before.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Ironcially "mailing it in" is considered making a big effort in the days of twittering, texting, and e-mailing. So maybe what Spencer was saying is that he was trying real hard?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4095702 said:
LOL. A player admits to quitting on the field at the mid-way point of the season and somehow thats a positive.

Prediction: People will be glad we got rid of "that lazy bum Spencer" 8 months from now. And will note how the locker room is getting cleaned up

I'll be happy with him and some others if play up to the standards that Garrett is expecting from them. If not then I'm sure Garrett will send them packing

adamknite

Reaction score
The article I read where that phrase is coming from, it didn't sound like Spencer was saying "I gave up and didn't try" when he elaborated on what he said. It sounded more like he was trying to say that he was making more mistakes and was losing his focus and admitted that shouldn't happen, so he's been spending a lot of time working on it.

I might be wrong, but from the context of what he said, that's the impression I got, not that he just "gave up".

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4095748 said:
Jenkins comes into question after last season no doubt about it. But like many organization the people now running things will do it their way and their expectation placed on the players not what took place before.
That's fine If Garrett wants a 'clean slate' policy this year (which Jenkins kind of suggested in his pc) but his ole' was an NFLN highlight and most people remember him doing it vs the Giants before that-
I personally won't hold the past against him if he gives the effort this year.
Would be nice to have a solid cornerback than to cut him loose and start completely over on both sides next year.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Gadfly22;4095682 said:
A guy honestly admits a flaw and then commits to correcting it -- and some people criticize him for this.

Is Spencer "stupid"? I don't know about him, but I sure know who I think is stupid around here.

Bingo.

Guy publically owned up to it which shows some character and puts a big bright spotlight right on himself.

The fact that he was able to get away with it does say something about the character of the entire defense/team.

Isn't one of the jobs of the Captain to get on guys who aren't bringing their best?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Honestly anyone that has watched him knew he was a slacker and didn't play hard. He's admitting what everyone already knew.

cowboystar55

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4095673 said:
I think it just goes to show he has more respect now than he did for Wade. He knew he could mail it in under Wade, but knows now he can't do that under Garrett and Ryan.

I don't have a problem with him saying this, I just expect alot more from him now. I doubt he was the only player mailing it in last year under Wade, I saw alot of players not playing up to the 100% they could.

Spence realizes that he's under a 'new regime' who's whole philosophy is about competing and improving every day or you're gone. I bet Rob Ryan or Baker pointed out his mistakes in LIvE games and someone suggested that Spence look at the 2010 practice tapes to see if he 'practiced' using bad technique in the same way. If JG doesn't believe he's giving his BEST on every play this year, I guarantee YOU that he's done in Dallas.
:star: :star: :star:

popp1234

Reaction score
Vtwin;4095791 said:
Bingo.

Guy publically owned up to it which shows some character and puts a big bright spotlight right on himself.

The fact that he was able to get away with it does say something about the character of the entire defense/team.

Isn't one of the jobs of the Captain to get on guys who aren't bringing their best?

I would much rather he showed character by not quitting in the first place. I'm not impressed.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Vtwin;4095791 said:
Bingo.

What about the character it showed when he mailed it in?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It's over for him for me. I don't care if he has a great year, I don't want him on the team any longer. Let Butler, Albright, a free agent, and/or a draftee fight for that spot next year. Spencer doesn't have the mentality that Garrett is looking for. I never understood why Spencer was soo invisibale while everyone was always hyping him up. Now I know. He's an admitted quitter and has no place on the team. In fact, I will not be upset if Garrett cuts him at some point this year. If he is invisible for two games in a row, get rid of him and let Butler and Albright play.

Reaction score
Vtwin;4095791 said:
Bingo.

I don't know about this, Spencer is supposedly a Professional Football Player and emphasis should be on "Professional". If that's the case, he wouldn't mail it in. If he did mail it in, he's a fraud who let down his teammates, organization and millions of dedicated fans.

And to boot, he's making serious coin to play a game. I'll get over it but I think it's obnoxious.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Cowboys22;4095874 said:
It's over for him for me. I don't care if he has a great year, I don't want him on the team any longer. Let Butler, Albright, a free agent, and/or a draftee fight for that spot next year. Spencer doesn't have the mentality that Garrett is looking for. I never understood why Spencer was soo invisibale while everyone was always hyping him up. Now I know. He's an admitted quitter and has no place on the team. In fact, I will not be upset if Garrett cuts him at some point this year. If he is invisible for two games in a row, get rid of him and let Butler and Albright play.

Epic over-reaction?

As stated by others, the guy watched film of himself and in hindsight he felt he had lost direction and focus. This is a direct result of the lack of accountabilty that was instilled into this organization during Wade's time here.

Personally, I respect the guy for recognizing it and publicly admitting it.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Idgit;4095744 said:
I think Spencer hurt himself with a very bad choice of phrase. What he actually said was that he was making a lot of mistakes last year through inattention to detail, and he discovered it by reviewing game tape.

This is the kind of stuff we hear after every bad year, though. Spencer's a better player than we care to admit, and it's very possible he turns in a very good year this year. It would really help us if he did. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

QFT!

He was referring to some oversight IN PRACTICE and used a bad choice of words for sure.

He never said he wasn't playing hard in games and those who watch the games, while observing that he might have some shortcomings as a pass rusher compared to Ware, would say he gives effort and plays hard.

But let the witch hunt continue. Although, Spencer is the one who called open season this time around.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think it is just a continuance of James saying their was a sense of entitlement with this team. I dont think that will be the case with JG and Rob Ryan running the show.

Plus the first step to fixing the problem is admitting there is one, I would be more worried if they didnt take a look in the mirror and ask themselves what they could do differently.

Reaction score
newnationcb;4095921 said:
QFT!

He was referring to some oversight IN PRACTICE and used a bad choice of words for sure.

He never said he wasn't playing hard in games and those who watch the games, while observing that he might have some shortcomings as a pass rusher compared to Ware, would say he gives effort and plays hard.

But let the witch hunt continue. Although, Spencer is the one who called open season this time around.

He can easily make it up and be loved again by being a that force he was expected to be when drafted. The talk is talk expression goes both ways.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I have never liked Spencer....not at Purdue, not in the draft, and I am still bitter that we traded back into the first for him. He is a waste of space. I cannot recall who went around that part of the draft, or even in the 2nd where we were drafting to begin with, but someone had to be better than that jackdonkey...

once he is gone from this team, good riddance....and take #80 with you. The Dynamic All-Hype But No Action Duo.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
The sad part of this is that the Cowboys will consider resigning him.