Zoners: Trade or not to trade... that's the question?

Spectre

Reaction score
Peterson is better than and will have a better NFL career than DMac.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1950906 said:
Adrian Peterson, RB Minn is absoulutely a Stud and tearing the NFL up.

DMac is supposed to be better--are you kidding me? :)

If DMac is BETTER then AD then WHY would we not trade with Miami for his right?

AD in hindsight is worth our entire 07 draft class. :cool:

All-Day looked damn good running behind our three probowlers ;)

BTW, only a fool believes DMac is better than All-Day. I said it 1,000 times before AP was even drafted.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1950943 said:
No single player is worth an entire draft class. .

...end of story...thank you - close the thread down now please.

:)

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson, RB Minn is absoulutely a Stud and tearing the NFL up.

DMac is supposed to be better--are you kidding me? :)

AD in hindsight is worth our entire 07 draft class. :cool:

If that is the question, the answer is NO!!!!!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
THUMPER;1950943 said:
No single player is worth an entire draft class. That has been proven over and over again in the NFL.

It has? :confused:

You mean you wouldn't trade this crop ...

2001 Draft
2 (22, 53) - Quincy Carter, Georgia
2 (25, 56) - Tony Dixon, Alabama
3 (31, 93) - Willie Blade, Mississippi State
4 (27, 122) - Markus Steele, USC
5 (6, 137) - Matt Lehr, Virginia Tech
6 (8, 171) - Daleroy Stewart, Southern Mississippi
7 (7, 207) - Colston Weatherington, Central Missouri State
7 (40, 240) - John Nix, Southern Mississippi
7 (42, 242) - Char-ron Dorsey, Florida State

For anyone one of these players selected ahead of Carter and crew:

LaDainian Tomlinson, Marcus Stroud, Steve Hutchinson, Nate Clements, Deuce McAllister and Reggie Wayne?

I would.

The issue really isn't the player as it is the team's ability to assess talent.

If you have a club that can't assess talent, you might as well give up your entire draft for that can't-miss prospect. If your club can assess talent, it's better to keep your draft picks than put all your eggs in one basket.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
Because Miami will be asking for too much for their pick. Also because Jerry needs to, at least shoul've, learned that giving away draft picks like candy on halloween is going to come back and bite you in the ***.

The two qeustions I ask myself are, do I want to see DMAC as a Cowboy? No doubt about it. Is he worth what Cowboys will give up to land him in Dallas? NO.

hendog

Reaction score
tyke1doe;1951063 said:

2001 Draft

LaDainian Tomlinson, Marcus Stroud, Steve Hutchinson, Nate Clements, Deuce McAllister and Reggie Wayne?

I would.

If you have a club that can't assess talent, you might as well give up your entire draft for that can't-miss prospect. If your club can assess talent, it's better to keep your draft picks than put all your eggs in one basket.

That has got to be the absolutely sorriest draft class in history. That' just makes you want to puke.

hendog

Reaction score
Coming out of this draft with a compliment to barber is a must but I'd rather not spend a first on it.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1950965 said:
I would not give up the entire draft and I don't think Dallas would. However if they choose to make a move and give up 2 late 1st rd picks to move up into the top 5 for AD while I still may think it is a risk I would consider it a risk with a very high upside to it should AD be as good as many think he will be.

According to the draft value chart, which nearly all teams use for valuing picks, our two first rounders would only move us up to about #7 or 8 not the top-5.

It would require both first rounders plus our 2nd and 3rd as well to move into the top-5. I certainly don't want to go into a draft only getting one guy in the first 3 rounds.

To trade with Miami would require a lot more than that, likely 1st and 2nd round picks in future drafts in addition to the ones this year.

Forget it, no player is worth all that. If he gets hurt in his first season or flames out then we have screwed ourselves for years to come.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1951063 said:

2001 Draft

I would.

That's a pretty lame comparison as no team would have traded the rights to one of those players for our picks. We would have had to throw in our 1st round picks for the next 3 years to move up in that draft.

Also, only Tomlinson was worthy of making a trade like that on draft day anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER;1951189 said:
According to the draft value chart, which nearly all teams use for valuing picks, our two first rounders would only move us up to about #7 or 8 not the top-5.

It would require both first rounders plus our 2nd and 3rd as well to move into the top-5. I certainly don't want to go into a draft only getting one guy in the first 3 rounds.

To trade with Miami would require a lot more than that, likely 1st and 2nd round picks in future drafts in addition to the ones this year.

Forget it, no player is worth all that. If he gets hurt in his first season or flames out then we have screwed ourselves for years to come.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

I don't know what kind of deal could be put on the table and would at least want to see what kind of deal we would offer up before I say yes or no. I know Dallas pulled off a big deal to get Dorsett and that worked out pretty damn good for us. TD proved to be well worth it.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Maybe on the trade front, we aren't thinking out of the box enough.

It is known that Parcells doesn't care to have the 1st overall pick.

It is known that Parcells values players he has had before.

Also known that many players on the current team will not be there in 2008.

And they have some $35 mil in salary cap space.

Everyone knows Miami needs to get younger on defense and their needs are (not necessarily in order) DT, DE, LB, S, TE, WR, OL, and QB.

Now, I am not advocating anything other than remembering Ireland comment about the 22nd pick being nearly the same as the 1st pick.

What about a trade of several players and our 22nd pick for the 1st overall pick. Guys like:

Jason Ferguson (old but knows the NT spot and we now have Ratliff and Johnson)

Pat Watkins (not going to start at FS for us but very well could in Miami)

Anthony Fasano (Curtis is coming on strong and coaching staff like Hannah, he would start day one in Miami)

Akin Ayodele (Looks to me like Burnett might beat him out would start in Miami)

Marcus Spears (quality starting DE and more fits a 4-3 or Parcells wait and see 3-4, not an agressive 3-4 like Phillips)

Sam Hurd (only a 4th WR for us but probably a #2 in Miami)

Pat McQuistan/Kyle Kosier (one or the other, McQuistan was a pet project of Parcells -- question is will he ever start for us but might in Miami)

Of course much depends on what we do in free agency and what Miami does, but just food for thought. Not sure how to put a number on any of those players but somehow I think if Parcells got our 22nd pick and 3,4, or 5 of those guys, he might look at it as being a good trade. Thoughts.

vicjagger

Reaction score
THUMPER;1951189 said:

It would require both first rounders plus our 2nd and 3rd as well to move into the top-5.

Yea, and we couldn't get into the top 3 with our entire draft.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1950971 said:
I'm sorry, yes I was referring to DMAC. Clearly I would not do what the Saints did to get Ricky Williams which was give up their entire draft. However If Dallas can work a deal without giving up all day 1 picks this year then while I would still consider it a risk you also have to look at the upside to it.

:) I would agree about "if" Dallas can get him without giving up the farm, I'm sure Jones will seriously consider it. We all know how Jerry Jones love the spotlight for not only himself, but his team as well. You can bet that Jones knows, only too well, all the media attention that McFadden would bring, plus, Jones will have lots of seats to fill in his new stadium once it's open, so if the price is viewed by him as not being too steep, I wouldn't be surprised if we take McFadden. Of course it goes without saying that we do have other needs on our team, and hopefully, though either FA, the draft, or both, we will address those other needs as well besides RB. Frankly though, I wonder if the temptation to take McFadden may be just too much for Jones to resist...hmmmm???

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
wayne motley;1950917 said:
You can't give up 7-9 draft selections for one player.

You can if you are stupid and named Mike Ditka.:laugh2:

Remember he gave up his entire draft for one fella by the name of Ricky Williams?
Now I am wondering what team got all those drafts and how well it did.

Anybody know?

batman36

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1951390 said:
You can if you are stupid and named Mike Ditka.:laugh2:

Remember he gave up his entire draft for one fella by the name of Ricky Williams?
Now I am wondering what team got all those drafts and how well it did.

Anybody know?

Washington and Daniel Snyder!