Zoners: Trade or not to trade... that's the question?

batman36

Reaction score
GoldenRichards83, Bobby Jack Wright is the Sooners' secondary coach. Brent Venables is the DC. While Wright does help with the game plan, he doesn't call any of the defensive plays. Now, I've never shared a meal with any of the OU coaches, but at least two members of that staff thinks Adrian Peterson is better than any RB that's entered the NFL in recent years. Of course, they are admittedly biased. And regarding Curtil Lofton, I agree with BJW's assessment. I stated in a thread last week that I hoped the Cowboys would select him. He's the real deal.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Sandyf;1951277 said:
Maybe on the trade front, we aren't thinking out of the box enough.

It is known that Parcells doesn't care to have the 1st overall pick.

It is known that Parcells values players he has had before.

Also known that many players on the current team will not be there in 2008.

And they have some $35 mil in salary cap space.

Everyone knows Miami needs to get younger on defense and their needs are (not necessarily in order) DT, DE, LB, S, TE, WR, OL, and QB.

Now, I am not advocating anything other than remembering Ireland comment about the 22nd pick being nearly the same as the 1st pick.

What about a trade of several players and our 22nd pick for the 1st overall pick. Guys like:

Jason Ferguson (old but knows the NT spot and we now have Ratliff and Johnson)

Pat Watkins (not going to start at FS for us but very well could in Miami)

Anthony Fasano (Curtis is coming on strong and coaching staff like Hannah, he would start day one in Miami)

Akin Ayodele (Looks to me like Burnett might beat him out would start in Miami)

Marcus Spears (quality starting DE and more fits a 4-3 or Parcells wait and see 3-4, not an agressive 3-4 like Phillips)

Sam Hurd (only a 4th WR for us but probably a #2 in Miami)

Pat McQuistan/Kyle Kosier (one or the other, McQuistan was a pet project of Parcells -- question is will he ever start for us but might in Miami)

Of course much depends on what we do in free agency and what Miami does, but just food for thought. Not sure how to put a number on any of those players but somehow I think if Parcells got our 22nd pick and 3,4, or 5 of those guys, he might look at it as being a good trade. Thoughts.

So...let me get this straight...you think that a move that would give up, essentially, anywhere from 4-5 players for 1 player...PLUS the 60+ million dollar contract you'd have to sign him too is actually a good idea to even THINK about?

*Shakes head*

I've seen some really, really, really, silly trade ideas/notions on these forums since I've joined but this is BY FAR the most idiotic idea I've seen. Giving up 4-5 players and 60 million dollars for 1 guy. Yeah, sure, who WOULDN'T make that deal with Dallas?

Yikes.

So glad some of the people here are not in any way able to make decisions for the Cowboys. We'd be in worse shape than the Raiders.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i hope we do it as long as we don't give up to much. if it's both 1st rounders and barber i would do it asap. people wanna talk about our secondary yet i doubt drayton florence and a rookie cb will all of a sudden fix it. since i don't think we will win the superbowl next year unless a few players are either gone or on the bench, we should go after Dmac. players like mcfadden don't come around very often.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
THUMPER;1951196 said:
That's a pretty lame comparison as no team would have traded the rights to one of those players for our picks. We would have had to throw in our 1st round picks for the next 3 years to move up in that draft.

How do you know?

The offer was never made so we won't ever know what a team would have done.

Moreover, some of the players I listed were drafted in the middle to lower rounds of the 2001 first round. You mean to tell me that no team would have taken the Cowboys picks to allow the team to move into the first round? :eek:

And I'm sure you can probably go through many drafts and find that one single player ended up contributing more than a particular team's entire draft.

Also, only Tomlinson was worthy of making a trade like that on draft day anyway.

Again, that's presuming we know how to evaluate talent in the later rounds. If we don't, I argue that it would have been better to trade our whole draft for any of the guys I mentioned as they turned out better than anyone in our 2001 draft - both in terms of contribution and longevity.

Verdict

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1950938 said:
I had dinner with the Defensive coordinator of the Oklahoma Sooners about 3 weeks ago. He told me out of his mouth that Dmac is and will be a better player than AD. I was totally surprised when he said that. Here's a guy who has watched AD up close and personal for 2 years and he said this. He said Dmac is more powerful and faster and if you like what AD is doing on the next level, wait until you see Mcfadden. Those are his actual words. His name is Bobby Jack Wright: http://soonersports.com/school-bio/bobby_jack_wright.html By the way I am not advocating we give up both #1s for Mcfadden but if we can get him for a #1 and a player, we may need to look at that.

Bobby Jack Wright seriously said that? WOW. I was very much for trading up for Peterson and beat that dead horse, a lot. I would have broken the bank to get him. I would not have broken the bank for McFadden, but if BJW said that, maybe trading up wouldn't be a bad idea. The guy knows talent and can really recruit!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1951545 said:
How do you know?

The offer was never made so we won't ever know what a team would have done.

Moreover, some of the players I listed were drafted in the middle to lower rounds of the 2001 first round. You mean to tell me that no team would have taken the Cowboys picks to allow the team to move into the first round? :eek:

And I'm sure you can probably go through many drafts and find that one single player ended up contributing more than a particular team's entire draft.

Again, that's presuming we know how to evaluate talent in the later rounds. If we don't, I argue that it would have been better to trade our whole draft for any of the guys I mentioned as they turned out better than anyone in our 2001 draft - both in terms of contribution and longevity.

I am surprised at you, you are usually a lot smarter than this.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
THUMPER;1951560 said:
I am surprised at you, you are usually a lot smarter than this.

It's not a scientific argument.

I agree with you on principle. It's not wise to trade your entire draft for one player.

But that doesn't mean that it can't work, especially if you're crappy at assessing talent.

Picking a player high generally means that that player is a "can't-miss" prospect. So even if you're a team like the Cardinals, you have more chances to screw up picks later in the draft than at the top. So why would a team like that not trade up?

That's my point.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
batman36;1951435 said:
GoldenRichards83, Bobby Jack Wright is the Sooners' secondary coach. Brent Venables is the DC. While Wright does help with the game plan, he doesn't call any of the defensive plays. Now, I've never shared a meal with any of the OU coaches, but at least two members of that staff thinks Adrian Peterson is better than any RB that's entered the NFL in recent years. Of course, they are admittedly biased. And regarding Curtil Lofton, I agree with BJW's assessment. I stated in a thread last week that I hoped the Cowboys would select him. He's the real deal.
He is the Co-defensive coordinatoor defensive backs coach and I don't think I ever said anything about him callin plays just giving some info out. This was his personal opinion and trust me I was surprised he said that being he has been with Oklahoma for the last 8 to 9 years. He talked and talked about Lofton like he knew he was gonna be special. He is a great guy and a biog-time flirt with the young ladies. I actually picked up a lil game from him,lol. He is brutally honest and I can't help but respect his opinion.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Verdict;1951559 said:
Bobby Jack Wright seriously said that? WOW. I was very much for trading up for Peterson and beat that dead horse, a lot. I would have broken the bank to get him. I would not have broken the bank for McFadden, but if BJW said that, maybe trading up wouldn't be a bad idea. The guy knows talent and can really recruit!
He was in Atlanta recuiting some kid out of Gwinnett County. There were couple of other scouts there. One was from UCF and they other was Vanderbilt. Coach Wright is hilarious, the dude had us laughing all night at the Sushi bar.

I was like you. I like Mcfadden but i don't want to lose Barber. Then I talk with Coach Wright and it got me to thinking. How could someone be better than AD. For the DC of AD school to say Mcfadden could possibly be better is scary. Then I watch the Pro-bowl game with Romo and AD in the same backfield. I think if we can keep one of our 1st and not sell the farm, I am on board with DMAC in Dallas.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1951390 said:
Remember he gave up his entire draft for one fella by the name of Ricky Williams?
Now I am wondering what team got all those drafts and how well it did.

Anybody know?

I looked it up and these are the guys selected with the picks New Orleans gave up:

Commanders linebacker LaVar Arrington
Broncos tight end Desmond Clark
Bears receiver D'Wayne Bates
Dolphins quarterback Cade McNown
Lions linebacker Khari Samuel
Chargers cornerback Lloyd Harrison
Broncos receiver Billy Miller
Commanders Nate Stimson, linebacker

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1950938 said:
I had dinner with the Defensive coordinator of the Oklahoma Sooners about 3 weeks ago. He told me out of his mouth that Dmac is and will be a better player than AD. I was totally surprised when he said that. Here's a guy who has watched AD up close and personal for 2 years and he said this. He said Dmac is more powerful and faster and if you like what AD is doing on the next level, wait until you see Mcfadden. Those are his actual words. His name is Bobby Jack Wright: http://soonersports.com/school-bio/bobby_jack_wright.html By the way I am not advocating we give up both #1s for Mcfadden but if we can get him for a #1 and a player, we may need to look at that.

Great info, GR (TH)...

Add to that a few old school SEC coaches who say McFadden is the best back since Bo Jackson.

But hey, what do they know. I've read on here that McFadden != Peterson, you know.

BTW, people have to explain the comparisons of Bush to McFadden. Other than both making long runs, they aren't similar at all.

And to the people who say McFadden just runs by people, have you seen the NFLN show on the ten best individual season of all time? Number two on the list is a tall guy with little shake and bake who "just ran by everyone"... And ended up with a little 2105.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1951726 said:
Great info, GR (TH)...

Add to that a few old school SEC coaches who say McFadden is the best back since Bo Jackson.

But hey, what do they know. I've read on here that McFadden != Peterson, you know.

BTW, people have to explain the comparisons of Bush to McFadden. Other than both making long runs, they aren't similar at all.

And to the people who say McFadden just runs by people, have you seen the NFLN show on the ten best individual season of all time? Number two on the list is a tall guy with little shake and bake who "just ran by everyone"... And ended up with a little 2105.

I agree. I have watched him quite a bit and think he will be great. I have also listened to people within the SEC who feel the same about him and when did running by people become a bad thing? Dorsett was not the most physical back in the world but not many were able to get good clean shot on him and his ability to avoid big hit and run away from would be tacklers helped put TD in the Hall Of Fame

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1950906 said:
Adrian Peterson, RB Minn is absoulutely a Stud and tearing the NFL up.

DMac is supposed to be better--are you kidding me? :)

If DMac is BETTER then AD then WHY would we not trade with Miami for his right?

AD in hindsight is worth our entire 07 draft class. :cool:

I would be willing to go both 1st and Carpenter.

I tell Miami to take it or leave it.

If they say no, we sit pat and draft best WR and CB in first round.