Zoners: Worst disappointment of all-time? You make the call.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Our 2007 Cowboys won 13 games.:starspin

13 players will represent our team in the Pro Bowl--NFL record.:starspin

You make the call.......

Was the 2007/2008 version of our Cowboys the worst disappoinment ever?

I say YES!:bang2:

What do you think? Be honest..........:(

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
San Fran - The Catch Loss
Steelers - The Jackie Smith drop and loss in SB

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
1983,1986, 1994, 1999, 2000, were bigger disappointments imo.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
That whole 1-15 thingy we threw out there kinda sucked as well. :rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NO, I think 1970 losing to the Colts in Super Bowl V was the biggest disappointment for me as far as a game.

I was disappointed with the hiring of Barry Switzer and the whole soap opera around Jimmy's ouster.

The firing of Tom Landry.

The Hall of Fame snubs of deserving players like Chuck Howley, Bob Hayes, and Cliff Harris.

This team was better than I hoped for and I adjusted my expectations as the season went on, but somehow I knew they weren't ready yet and it was going to come apart. I expected that to be in the Super Bowl though, not the 1st round. Still, a lot of things have been more disappointing to me.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, sucks more than losing a super bowl.

I was physically sick for several days after we lost SB13.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1932414 said:
That whole 1-15 thingy we threw out there kinda sucked as well. :rolleyes:
True, but after we traded Herschel after a few games, it was obvious we weren't gonna win many games.

If we kept Walker we might have gone 5-11, but for what, really?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1932418 said:
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, sucks more than losing a super bowl.

I was physically sick for several days after we lost SB13.

I blame myself for that loss. At church that morning, I prayed for a Dallas victory. God smited me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
70 loss to the Colts was probably harder. You can't really understand what fans of those teams went through unless you were there. 66, lost League Championship to the Packers. 67, lost League Championship to the Packers. 68, lost Conferance Championship to the Browns. 69, lost Conferance Championship to the Browns. 70, lost the Super Bowl to the Colts in a game that we really should have won. In a much worse fashion then the Giants, IMO. 5 years of lossing in the big games. Laughing stocks of the NFL. We were the Buffalo Bills of the day.

However, the worst loss for me personally was the 79 loss to the Rams in the Divisional Championship. 21-19, just like it was yesterday.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Home Field throughout the playoffs.
Two teams you beat in the regular season. (by double digits both, the Giants twice).

12-1 at one point in the season, with the only loss to the "expected" Patriots.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?????

I lived through the loss to the Colts in the SB ( I was 11 at the time).
I lived through those Steeler SB loss's, and I lived in Penna. 'till I was 18.
I lived with "the catch", which is nothing more than a routine catch made every Sunday of every week in the NFL. The only reason it got so much "history" is because of the darling team that pulled it off, and against WHO it happened against. The most overrated play in NFL history.
I lived through being down 21-0 in the first 5 minutes against the Whiners, and STILL should've won that game at went to a third straight SB in '95.
I lived through Jimmy and Jerry blowing what should've been at least 5 straight SB rings, because of nasty hissy-fit divorce that didn't need to happen.

But, I'm afraid that THIS debacle rates as the No.1 all-time biggest choke and embarassment in Cowboy history..........given the Home Field and the teams we had to beat to get to the SB.

This would've NEVER have happened with the Cowboys of lure...............

What I can't believe, is that at the age of 47, Cooperate, father of three, two mortgages, etc........and I still get bent side-ways over **** like this.................

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1932437 said:
70 loss to the Colts was probably harder. You can't really understand what fans of those teams went through unless you were there. 66, lost League Championship to the Packers. 67, lost League Championship to the Packers. 68, lost Conferance Championship to the Browns. 69, lost Conferance Championship to the Browns. 70, lost the Super Bowl to the Colts in a game that we really should have won. In a much worse fashion then the Giants, IMO. 5 years of lossing in the big games. Laughing stocks of the NFL. We were the Buffalo Bills of the day.

However, the worst loss for me personally was the 79 loss to the Rams in the Divisional Championship. 21-19, just like it was yesterday.
The 79 loss to the Rams was before my time, but I remember reading the NFL encyclopedias that I pored over when I was a kid and hating Billy Waddy and Vince Ferragamo.

The Rams and Cowboys seemed to take turns breaking each other's hearts durng the late 70s/early 80s. Amazing that they met six times in the playoffs over a 11 year period.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
windward;1932443 said:
The 79 loss to the Rams was before my time, but I remember reading the NFL encyclopedias that I pored over when I was a kid and hating Billy Waddy and Vince Ferragamo.

That was a hard loss. It was strange because you could almost feel the inevitability of it all. Roger was retiring. After that season, it was over. The 77 team had won it all, the 78 team had lost to the Steelers in what was also a very hard loss to take. We had beaten the crap out of the Rams earlier in the year. That game, in many ways, was like the Giants game. It was like you knew we could beat the team we were playing and you just kept thinking it would happen. The team just would not get it in gear. The damed Hegman tipped ball to Waddie for the TD with 2 minutes left. I believed that Staubach could do it but is was not to be. Rogers last pass of his career was to Herb Scott for a penalty and loss of down. That one was probably the worst for me.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Losing to the Commanders, whether it be preseason or NFC Championship..:skins::skins::skins:

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
The firing of Tom Landry was the worst for me. My dad was a life long Cowboys fan and got me watching them as a kid in the 70's. Landry was king amongst men as far as my father was concerned, so I of course drank the kool-aid 100%. When the team was sold by Tex to Jerry, I could see that changes were coming, but I never saw the lack of respect that Jerry showed in firing Landry the way he did it. My dad officially quit being a die-hard Cowboys fan that day and I hated Jerry for quite sometime, that is, until we started winning SB's!

yimyammer

Reaction score
Not even close. I could see this one coming and my expectations were ready for the let down.

Nothing compares to losing to the Steelers in two Super bowls, but the following were close:

1. "The catch" in the championship game against the 49ers which we are continually forced to suffer watching highlights of to this day, and

2. The loss in the championship game to the 49ers in 94 that deprived us of a Three-Peat

For me, the two losses to the 49ers sting more than losing the Super Bowls to the Steelers.

I suppose we're fortunate to have so many games to recall as painful losses, yet still be able to cling to so many more memories of great success.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well since I wasn't alive for the Superbowl losses (and I was like 2 or 3 when 'The Catch' took place) I've got to go with more recent as the worst losses I've endured.

1994 NFC Championship Game - This one hurts, but I think it hurts more cause I've always felt if the refs hadn't blown that call (Not flagging Sanders for blatant interference) that Dallas would have went on to win that game. The flag would have given Dallas first and goal inside the San Fran 5 yard line with over six minutes left with us down 38-28. I have no doubt that we'd score a TD there and it would have ripped the heart out of them and we'd have gone on to win. That is what makes that particular loss hurt more than anything. Even without that speculation it's still the hardest to swallow for me.

1996 Divisional Round Playoffs - The loss to Carolina in round two the year after we won our 3rd Superbowl in 4 years. I really felt like we had more than enough to win it again that year, despite only going 10-6 in the regular season. Unfortunately Irvin got hurt really early in this game, and then Sanders went down later, and we just couldn't get it going.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Not even close in my book. There are many disappointing single game losses, but for my money the most disappointing loss for a Cowby team, (which means the team had the potential to be a SB Champion), was the '94 Cowboys.

Jerry blew it by firing Jimmy and bringing in Switzer. When we lost Jimmy we lost our psychological advantage over the 49'ers and that cost us our place in NFL history by not 3 peating.

That is far and away the most disappointing Cowboy team in my lifetime.

actual29

Reaction score
as far as im concerned....YESSSS
this was the biggest heartbreak for me :bang2:

which doesnt mean those other losses dont mean as much... its just that me being as young as i am... luckily i didnt have to witness alot of those first hand

notherbob

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1932437 said:

You're right. I suffered through every one of them and the loss to the refs/Colts in SB5 sent me into a tailspin from which I have never recovered because it seemed so sure and then the ref. Norm Schachter took a fumble recovery away from the Boys and gave it to the Colts and they kicked the winning FG. I was devastated for months. From that moment on I have never allowed myself to get excited about a football game and expect a win because I knew the refs could just take it away any time they wanted to. It also convinced me that there are some crooked refs in the game.

For the last 38 years my attitude has been to watch a game mostly in silence and make few outbursts and smile if they win and say "Oh well" if they don't. It was the only way I could protect my sanity - not care about the outcome but watch the game for the quality of football being played without caring who plays it. If I didn't protect my feelings I would be a basket case right now.

Maybe you can understand my feelings.