Zoners: Worst disappointment of all-time? You make the call.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Nors;1932403 said:
San Fran - The Catch Loss
Steelers - The Jackie Smith drop and loss in SB

Very Close

but for me it is the reverse casue I was there...

Steelers loss
The freaking catch
and the 94 nfc championship we should have 4 in a row

rangers71

Reaction score
This one is not even close to me. I am 36 years old but I remember the Jackie Smith drop like it was yesterday. Even though I was a little kid I hated football and the damn steelers because of that damn play. Then when I was 10 and the loss to the 49ers by the catch just ripped my heart out. That was such a lucky play and it still haunts me. To this day if I see that play on tv I turn the channel as fast as I can. I hate to say it but the loss to Seattle last year was a huge one too. You never see that happen. This loss was a hard one but I had a bad feeling all week long. Hell even after we beat them in NY I told my wife I have a weird feeling that we are going to meet them in the playoffs and that scares me. True this one sucks and it is probably worse that Seattle but nothing will ever top those other two.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
lewpac;1932440 said:
Home Field throughout the playoffs.
Two teams you beat in the regular season. (by double digits both, the Giants twice).

12-1 at one point in the season, with the only loss to the "expected" Patriots.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?????

I lived through the loss to the Colts in the SB ( I was 11 at the time).
I lived through those Steeler SB loss's, and I lived in Penna. 'till I was 18.
I lived with "the catch", which is nothing more than a routine catch made every Sunday of every week in the NFL. The only reason it got so much "history" is because of the darling team that pulled it off, and against WHO it happened against. The most overrated play in NFL history.
I lived through being down 21-0 in the first 5 minutes against the Whiners, and STILL should've won that game at went to a third straight SB in '95.
I lived through Jimmy and Jerry blowing what should've been at least 5 straight SB rings, because of nasty hissy-fit divorce that didn't need to happen.

But, I'm afraid that THIS debacle rates as the No.1 all-time biggest choke and embarassment in Cowboy history..........given the Home Field and the teams we had to beat to get to the SB.

This would've NEVER have happened with the Cowboys of lure...............

What I can't believe, is that at the age of 47, Cooperate, father of three, two mortgages, etc........and I still get bent side-ways over **** like this.................

HAAHAHAHAHAHah You made me feel so much better just to hear you rant I just read you post to my wife. You my friend are not alone. I feel so normal now To have someone who feels the same way I do. We should have a Dallas Cowboys session so we can get over this loss. Cause Dallas cowboys fans bleed silver and blue... nice post

Wanted -NY-NJ-PA, Dallas cowboys fans weekly meeting to discuss and get over the loss to the Giants !!!!

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1932418 said:
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, sucks more than losing a super bowl.

I was physically sick for several days after we lost SB13.

That lost was the worst for me...I actually had dreams about that game with the Cowboys winning it.

To lose twice to the Steelers and by such small margins and seeing how that has affected not only how the teams are perceived(Steelers team of the 70's) but in how the Cowboys have been robbed by the Hall of Fame voters and the Steelers have a whole wing there just makes me sick.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
quote=ConcordCowboy;1932830]That lost was the worst for me...I actually had dreams about that game with the Cowboys winning it.

To lose twice to the Steelers and by such small margins and seeing how that has affected not only how the teams are perceived(Steelers team of the 70's) but in how the Cowboys have been robbed by the Hall of Fame voters and the Steelers have a whole wing there just makes me sick.[/quote]

:hammer:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess I take a bit of a different view. As disappointing as the game vs SF or the 2 loses to Pitt in the 70's as well as the loss in the ice bowl to the Packers I have always taken great pride in the fact that the Dallas Cowboys have been part of some of the all time great games ever played in the NFL. No doubt losing sucks but the Cowboys have been a big part of what has helped make the NFL the greatest league in Pro Sports.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
notherbob;1932537 said:
You're right. I suffered through every one of them and the loss to the refs/Colts in SB5 sent me into a tailspin from which I have never recovered because it seemed so sure and then the ref. Norm Schachter took a fumble recovery away from the Boys and gave it to the Colts and they kicked the winning FG. I was devastated for months. From that moment on I have never allowed myself to get excited about a football game and expect a win because I knew the refs could just take it away any time they wanted to. It also convinced me that there are some crooked refs in the game.

For the last 38 years my attitude has been to watch a game mostly in silence and make few outbursts and smile if they win and say "Oh well" if they don't. It was the only way I could protect my sanity - not care about the outcome but watch the game for the quality of football being played without caring who plays it. If I didn't protect my feelings I would be a basket case right now.

Maybe you can understand my feelings.

No question about it Bob. As a younger man, I was full of P and V and would get very wrapped up in games much more then I do now. As you suffer threw a few of these dissapointing defeats, you realize that it is not something you can do day in and day out. The statement, "It's only a game" would seem to be made for fans like you and I, I think. As you get older, you focus more on the things you learned from the game and you try to apply them back into the experience. I know that I enjoy watching Pop Warner or YAFL and even HS games, every bit as much as I do Pro Games. Many times, even more. It is interesting that you comment on appriciating the game and adding little emotion into the experience. I am exactly the same. I rearly even watch Cowboy games with other people. Pretty interesting that you seem to share many of the same opinions about this.

:)

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1932437 said:
70 loss to the Colts was probably harder. You can't really understand what fans of those teams went through unless you were there.

So took it pretty hard as a 4 yr old did ya?

:D

TwentyOne

Reaction score
For me this year is not even close.

The Loss to SF49er in the NFC Championship game '94 to me was the biggest disappointment. We were the best team in the League that year. What by far bothers me mnost was Young who by the way did nothing to really win that game was named MVP in the following SB win by SF.

We should have gone there and win 4 in a row next year.

Still hurts....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;1932855 said:
So took it pretty hard as a 4 yr old did ya?

:D

As a young boy, I did. My whole family did. We are a Navy family as far back as it goes. The fact that Roger Staubach was from the Academy ment that we were die hard with no other options open to you.

Yeah, nobody in my house was very happy about those days. It was not hard to figure out the difference between the Cowboys winning and lossing around my family.

bigE79

Reaction score
To put it simply,the loss in SB 13 was the very worst feeling i ever had and living in STEALER LAND made it even worse.if you all think the PATS get all the calls,just take a look back at that game and you will see what i mean,imo

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1932884 said:
As a young boy, I did. My whole family did. We are a Navy family as far back as it goes. The fact that Roger Staubach was from the Academy ment that we were die hard with no other options open to you.

Yeah, nobody in my house was very happy about those days. It was not hard to figure out the difference between the Cowboys winning and lossing around my family.

Good one.

I was 9 1/2 at the time of that game, and even though I'd been indoctrinated into the Cowboys culture since probably day 1 (born in 60, in Dallas), my memories of that game are, it was the first time I remember "pouting" afterwards.

:laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1932437 said:
However, the worst loss for me personally was the 79 loss to the Rams in the Divisional Championship. 21-19, just like it was yesterday.

Yep, that was bad. And just like the Giants, the Rams scored a quick TD right before halftime, albeit on a Hail Mary type of play. Cliff Harris (playing in his last game) and the corner were just staring at each other as the receiver came down with the ball.

superpunk

Reaction score
henson.jpg

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Time heals all wounds, .. if not I would have to say that the two SB losses to the Squeelers, (I'm surrounded by their ignorant fans) the "catch", and the NFC title game where we spotted the 9'ers 21 pts and still almost won were the most painful.

The two SB losses to the Squeeler I still have to hear about frequently.

But since time heals all wounds, I guess I am ok with those losses.

Having said all of that, after this Giants loss(see my sig line), and with WVU losing to Pitt, .. well it's just a good thing that I don't own a gun. :D

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
1-81 NFC Championship
2-S/B XIII
3-94 NFC Championship
:bang2: :banghead: :mad:
This year hardly registers as one of the "biggest disappointments" in Dallas history...and if it does that means your too young to remember what REAL PAIN is!