Zoners: Worst disappointment of all-time? You make the call.

notherbob

Reaction score
yimyammer;1932461 said:
Not even close. I could see this one coming and my expectations were ready for the let down.

I suppose we're fortunate to have so many games to recall as painful losses, yet still be able to cling to so many more memories of great success.

Same here, I did not expect a win though I hoped for one. To me this was a major disappointment because they just seemed to give up in disinterest rather than be beat. I think this team needs to look closely at the film of that game and the last few games of the season and start getting rid of those who didn't even try.

If I were a coach, I would be fining players who take plays off and commit preventable penalties, if that's legal.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1932370 said:
Our 2007 Cowboys won 13 games.:starspin

13 players will represent our team in the Pro Bowl--NFL record.:starspin

You make the call.......

Was the 2007/2008 version of our Cowboys the worst disappoinment ever?

I say YES!:bang2:

What do you think? Be honest..........:(
1. 1978 Cowboys
As I have posted before, Super Bowl XIII was the BIGGEST heartbreak I have experienced as a Cowboys fan. Bad luck, bogus penalties, critical fumbles, and one HUGH dropped pass, that game still chaps my butt:mad:
(Would have loved to have seen a sequal in Super Bowl XIV, but some goofball named Waddy.....:( *sigh*)

2. 1981 Cowboys
The 1981 NFC Championship was a terrible pill to swallow. That game sums up why I hate Joe Montana.

3. 1984 Cowboys
The loss to the Miami Dolphins in the final game of the 1984 season hurt pretty good too. I really thought we could win it.

4. 1966-67 Cowboys
Out of respect for the Old Timers in here, 1967 was no picnic. Two loses in the same year to the infernal Packers. :banghead: Although I was too young to watch back then, I have seen the NFL Films version of those games. I can only imagine how hard those loses were to accept.

5. 2007 Cowboys
If I didn't feel certain this Cowboys team is only going to get better, I would be more upset about the Giant game.

The 2008 season can't start soon enough for me!
Put on your shades guys, Dallas' future is so bright we gonna need 'em!:shades:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Nors;1932403 said:
San Fran - The Catch Loss
Steelers - The Jackie Smith drop and loss in SB

Reverse them and they make up my list. Not necessarily the Smith drop but the whole SB 13 loss is my number 1.

The 1983 and 1984 teams that lost late season big games to the Commanders were both bigger to me than this team.

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1932370 said:
Our 2007 Cowboys won 13 games.:starspin

13 players will represent our team in the Pro Bowl--NFL record.:starspin

You make the call.......

Was the 2007/2008 version of our Cowboys the worst disappoinment ever?

I say YES!:bang2:

What do you think? Be honest..........:(

some of you guys aren't old enough to remember 1966-1970. i believe that the cowboys of that generation were the best team in the NFL, but it took 6 years to get over the hump.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Losing a SB is the ultimate pain. You get that far for basically nothing. I sorta feel bad for Buffalo.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jackie Smith drop haunts my dreams nightly.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
lewpac;1932440 said:
Home Field throughout the playoffs.
Two teams you beat in the regular season. (by double digits both, the Giants twice).

12-1 at one point in the season, with the only loss to the "expected" Patriots.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?????

I lived through the loss to the Colts in the SB ( I was 11 at the time).
I lived through those Steeler SB loss's, and I lived in Penna. 'till I was 18.
I lived with "the catch", which is nothing more than a routine catch made every Sunday of every week in the NFL. The only reason it got so much "history" is because of the darling team that pulled it off, and against WHO it happened against. The most overrated play in NFL history.
I lived through being down 21-0 in the first 5 minutes against the Whiners, and STILL should've won that game at went to a third straight SB in '95.
I lived through Jimmy and Jerry blowing what should've been at least 5 straight SB rings, because of nasty hissy-fit divorce that didn't need to happen.

But, I'm afraid that THIS debacle rates as the No.1 all-time biggest choke and embarassment in Cowboy history..........given the Home Field and the teams we had to beat to get to the SB.

This would've NEVER have happened with the Cowboys of lure...............

What I can't believe, is that at the age of 47, Cooperate, father of three, two mortgages, etc........and I still get bent side-ways over **** like this.................

Wow......my THOUGHTS EXACTLY! WE have a winner :bow:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 5 years in a row that we SHOULD have won but didn't. The loss in 1970 to the Refs/Colts in the SB was the culmination of those disappointments.

The funny thing is, the 1968 playoff loss to the Browns was harder for me than the loss in the SB. By 1970 I was almost expecting to lose that game.

This year was nowhere near as bad as those were for me.

Throw in 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1994, 1996, 1998, and you get the idea that this is nothing new for us. We've been close lots of times and come up short more often than not.

The good news is that we've at least been close more than anyone else and made it more than anyone.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
The losses to the Cleveland Browns in consecutive years in the playoffs after the prior losses to the Packers.

1968 and 1969. The Cowboys were MUCH better than the Browns..and not only lost but lost in games in which they weren't even competitive.

It hurt to lose to the Packers...but at least they were a damn good team.

The loss of Jimmy Johnson ranks right up there as well.

This year's loss made me ill. There's no disputing that. But the above events were worse.

morieeel

Reaction score
Sarge;1932653 said:
The Jackie Smith drop haunts my dreams nightly.

Yep, first time I used a cuss word at my dad. He loved the St. Louis Cardinals so he hated the Cowboys, and Smith (former Cardinal) was icing on the cake. So not only suffering the defeat at the hands of the Steelers (again), I had too deal with the suffering of my arse. :laugh2:

morieeel

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;1932672 said:
The loss to the Texans in Houston. Embarrassing.

Too Dom Capers. Ironic:D
Yep, that was one of those losses that made me thankful I didn't live in Texas.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
morieeel;1932667 said:
Yep, first time I used a cuss word at my dad. He loved the St. Louis Cardinals so he hated the Cowboys, and Smith (former Cardinal) was icing on the cake. So not only suffering the defeat at the hands of the Steelers (again), I had too deal with the suffering of my arse. :laugh2:

That is so funny, because, I let out a mouth full also and my dad took it out on my arse as well......:laugh2:

burmafrd

Reaction score
SB 13 loss. We were so close. Jackie Catching that pass and I beleive we end up winning. What made it worse was Jackie Smith was a HOF player and a great person and it was the only SB he was ever in.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
The 2007 Cowboys are in the top 5 disappointments in club history, no doubt. But I don't think they would be within 3 td's of the 94 team that was looking for an unprecedented 3-peat and screwed it up in the first 7:33 of the NFC Title game. That's my greatest disappointment.
I'd put the 78 team that almost repeated as SB champs next and then maybe the 07 team, imho.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Losing to the Texans in their 1st ever game was the most embarrassing moment. Even a bad team should beat an expansion team. 2007 I’m disappointed we lost but I think this is a competitive team and a young team on the rise

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Was the 2007 Season the worst disappointment ever? I'm only 29 years old, so I cannot answer that question with great confidence.

Purely speaking of the Era in which I have been able to watch the Cowboys, I would have to say that it is indeed the most disappointing season.

I put very little emphasis on how I viewed the Cowboys at the beginning of the Season. Games have not been played and thus you really don't have a feel for how good your team is, in comparison to others.

The fact of the matter is the Cowboys consistently proved they were indeed the best team in the NFC. They defeated the two clubs that participated in the NFC Championship Game by double digits when they squared off against them in the Regular Season. Similar to last season, in the Playoffs the Cowboys featured one of the more healthier clubs in the NFL. They also had the #1 Seed and as the 2007 Season progresses, we continue to add players to the Pro Bowl Roster and to date, the number is 13.

Besides lacking heart, reading their own Press Clippings, going to Mexico and BCS Games, there really isn't an excuse for a club that featured the aforementioned attributes to not win at least one game in the Playoffs.

Side note:Would be interesting to see if there have been another franchise that fielded 10 or more Pro Bowlers and failed to win a Playoff Game.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Any and all losses to the Commanders, Giants, Eagles, or in the playoffs/Super Bowl.

Irvin going down injured to end his career.