Zorn Stripped of Playcalling

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Wow, I have to think he'd rather just get fired than suffer this ongoing public castration.

Zorn takes blame for struggles

Washington Commanders coach Jim Zorn lost more than a game on Sunday.

Zorn was told after a 14-6 setback to the previously winless Kansas City Chiefs that he will not call offensive plays anymore.

Executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato met with Zorn and told him that he has too many responsibilities right now, Commanders' director of communications Zack Bolno told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley. The team did not reveal who would call plays, but an announcement is expected on Monday.

Zorn began his postgame news conference with a loud, lengthy sigh into the microphone. And the coach kept on sighing as he discussed a loss which dropped the Commanders to 2-4 this season and 4-10 over their past 14 games.

"I've got to be better. And it really irritates me. Truly irritates me," Zorn said. "And I'm just not going to rest until I get that taken care of."

The heat on Zorn is sure to increase leading up to Washington's next outing: a high-profile Monday night game Oct. 26 against the Philadelphia Eagles, which is followed by the Commanders' bye week.

"Winning would help," linebacker London Fletcher said. "We haven't performed up to our abilities to help coach Zorn out."

As it is, the Commanders are the first team in NFL history to face six consecutive winless opponents, but they haven't managed to take advantage.

In Week 3, the Commanders lost to the Detroit Lions, 0-2 at the time and riding a 19-game losing streak. Last weekend, the Commanders lost to the Carolina Panthers, who were 0-3 entering that game.

Now comes the loss to Kansas City, which was 0-5.

"It's going to be a very hard week. Last week, I thought that was as hard as it can get," Zorn said. "It just got harder."

Asked directly whether he is concerned about his future, Zorn replied: "That part's not up to me, so I won't answer that question."

There will be plenty of questions over the coming days about Washington's quarterback situation. Zorn yanked starter Jason Campbell at halftime and replaced him with Todd Collins, who hadn't played since the end of the 2007 season.

Zorn said Campbell was "a little late in hitting some things" and "inaccurate." Zorn did not make clear who his QB will be moving forward.

Zorn, a former NFL quarterback, is overseeing a team that hasn't scored more than 17 points in any game this season.

The Chiefs entered Sunday allowing 27.6 points and 402.8 yards per game, yet Washington managed only 265 yards of offense, a grand total of seven first downs and went 2 for 14 on third-down conversions.

"This offense is better than six points, 100 percent. And that's on me. It's my fault," Zorn said, before he was stripped of play-calling duties.

There were other issues Sunday, including special teams problems (Washington had a punt blocked), penalties (two of Kansas City's scores were essentially set up by personal fouls) and clock-management trouble.

All of this happened against a Chiefs team that had lost 28 of its previous 30 -- a run of futility that not only sounds like something an expansion team would do, but is: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers got started in the 1970s by going 2-28.

"We've got to come together as a complete team," Commanders defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "If you don't get all three phases, then it makes for a bad day. We just didn't have all three phases today."

Matt Mosley covers the NFC East for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Sorry if this was posted already.

I'm also sure it'll get moved in time, but thought it might as well start here.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Seriously, this move hurts Snyders chances of landing a legit replacement more then if he would of just fired Zorn.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;3022793 said:
Seriously, this move hurts Snyders chances of landing a legit replacement more then if he would of just fired Zorn.

Yep. Dumb move by Snyder & Cerrato.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
And people complain about Jerry being a bad owner/Gm.

Craig

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Well, his specialty ain't defense, so what exactly is his role now? Hot dog vendor?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
They first hired him as a offensive coordinator.

He had never been a coodinator.

Then they gave him the head coaching job, but it's clear he has nothing to do with the defense.

So if he isn't calling plays anymore then what the heck will he be doing on Sundays except standing around looking like a moron for three hours.

I would have resigned if I was him.

Have some dignity.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
1. London Fletcher is a true professional to stick up for his coach under fire like that.

2. Jim Zorn is toast!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3022811 said:
They first hired him as a offensive coordinator.

He had never been a coodinator.

Then they gave him the head coaching job, but it's clear he has nothing to do with the defense.

So if he isn't calling plays anymore then what the heck will he be doing on Sundays except standing around looking like a moron for three hours.

I would have resigned if I was him.

Have some dignity.

jobberone;3022815 said:
That's very interesting. How humiliating for Zorn.

Thinking about this a little bit more, it's pretty clear why this move is being made like this.

Snyder and Cerrato are trying to embarrass/shame Zorn into quitting so they can save some money that they'd otherwise have to pay him if they just fired him.

Everyone knows he's going to be fired eventually, so I guess they think if they can humiliate him enough in the process he may try to salvage some pride and resign, which would then salvage some cash for Snyder.

RS12

Reaction score
craig71;3022800 said:

Craig

He is, but there is always somebody worse. Danny boy and Alzheimer Davis.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Danny White;3022823 said:
Thinking about this a little bit more, it's pretty clear why this move is being made like this.

Snyder and Cerrato are trying to embarrass/shame Zorn into quitting so they can save some money that they'd otherwise have to pay him if they just fired him.

Everyone knows he's going to be fired eventually, so I guess they think if they can humiliate him enough in the process he may try to salvage some pride and resign, which would then salvage some cash for Snyder.

That's so ****ing bush league...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
How bad are you at your job if Vinny Cerrato can demote you.

Good lord. The Commanders and rams are the two worst teams in the league. The rams at least fight hard and play hard. The Commanders are just sorry.

Snyder has nowhere to go from here. That whole thing needs to be redone from scratch. This is basically the team gibbs built getting manhandled and totally beat down by bad teams.

Who in the world would want to work for Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato. Cerrato would barely be able to get a scouting job on every other team in this league and he is calling the shots, that is just bad.

If I didnt hate their arrogant ignorant trouble making fans I would feel bad for them, but they deserve snyder.

JGalt

Reaction score
Danny White;3022823 said:

If that's true, it is a new low for Danny. He may save some money, but it will make it even harder to recruit a competent replacement. He should just fire him and be done with it.

I can't imagine that that they are paying him anywhere near top dollar anyway.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
craig71;3022800 said:

Craig

This. How can anybody on that team take their coach seriously when he's not even calling the plays?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
over/under on how long it took Art or some other Redstink genius to say:

"with Zorn not calling plays, we'll be ready to play real Commander football now"...."playoffs here we come"

I'm guessing it happened within 10 minutes of the news breaking.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;3022918 said:
over/under on how long it took Art or some other Redstink genius to say:

"with Zorn not calling plays, we'll be ready to play real Commander football now"...."playoffs here we come"

I'm guessing it happened within 10 minutes of the news breaking.

Have they not looked at their remaining schedule?

Philadelphia Eagles
@ Atlanta Falcons
Denver Broncos
@ Dallas Cowboys
@ Philadelphia Eagles
New Orleans Saints
@ Oakland Raiders
New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys
@ San Diego Chargers

They might not be favored again all season.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
craig71;3022800 said:

He is. Believe it or not, it's possible to have more than one.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Its a foregone conclusion that Zorn will soon be fired but can someone please, I repeat, please start a "Save Vinny Cerrato's job" campaign. We do not want to see him fired.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13;3022926 said:
Have they not looked at their remaining schedule?

Philadelphia Eagles
@ Atlanta Falcons
Denver Broncos
@ Dallas Cowboys
@ Philadelphia Eagles
New Orleans Saints
@ Oakland Raiders
New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys
@ San Diego Chargers

They might not be favored again all season.

That hasnt stopped them from those types of predictions in the past.