Zorn Stripped of Playcalling

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;3022926 said:
Have they not looked at their remaining schedule?

Philadelphia Eagles
@ Atlanta Falcons
Denver Broncos
@ Dallas Cowboys
@ Philadelphia Eagles
New Orleans Saints
@ Oakland Raiders
New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys
@ San Diego Chargers

They might not be favored again all season.

I'm no longer pleased with all this (other than Zorn being emasculated). I'm reveling in it. They won't be favored until maybe the Raiders game and by today's games probably not then either.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Zorn stripped of play-calling duties

October 18, 2009 9:35 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Just when you thought this Commanders situation couldn't become any more bizarre, owner Dan Snyder has taken it to a different level. In the aftermath of Sunday's 14-6 loss to the Chiefs, Jim Zorn was stripped of his play-calling duties, according to the Skins' executive director of communications Zack Bolno.

Executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato met with Zorn after the game and told him he thought he had too much on his plate and needed to let someone else call the plays. Zorn didn't disagree with Cerrato, according to Bolno, and the coach will meet with Snyder on Monday to decide who should call the plays. And if you think this arrangement seems completely ridiculous, I'm right there with you.

Why in the world would you keep Zorn around if he's not calling the plays? That's the whole reason Snyder hired him in the first place. He wanted him to call the plays and manage the quarterbacks. It's like Snyder's trying to get Zorn to break up with him.

If Snyder's going to strip Zorn of his play-calling duties, he might as well go ahead and fire him. I hate that Zorn actually accepted this arrangement. It makes him look so weak. Snyder's already brought in a 67-year-old offensive consultant who's been on ice for five years.

Now Zorn looks like the ultimate lame duck. Perhaps Snyder and Cerrato thought that Zorn would resign once they stripped him of his play-calling duties. But it sounds like he's going to hang in there and keep taking punches. Now the Commanders will prepare to play the Eagles without knowing who their playcaller is. Zorn will probably push for offensive coordinator Sherman Smith to get the nod, but I'd be surprised if Snyder signs off on that.

When The Washington Post reached offensive consultant Sherman Lewis on Sunday evening, he hadn't heard about Snyder's decision. The other candidate for calling plays would be assistant coach/running backs coach Stump Mitchell. And I'll throw in one more wild-card candidate. That would be offensive assistant Chris Meidt, who has worked closely with the quarterbacks since joining Zorn's staff in '08.

I'm sort of hoping Zorn sleeps on this decision tonight and then decides to resign. It just doesn't make any sense for Snyder to keep him around now that he's stripped of everything except his dignity -- and I'm afraid that's next.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3022947 said:
When The Washington Post reached offensive consultant Sherman Lewis on Sunday evening, he hadn't heard about Snyder's decision. The other candidate for calling plays would be assistant coach/running backs coach Stump Mitchell. And I'll throw in one more wild-card candidate. That would be offensive assistant Chris Meidt, who has worked closely with the quarterbacks since joining Zorn's staff in '08.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3022811 said:
They first hired him as a offensive coordinator.

He had never been a coodinator.

Then they gave him the head coaching job, but it's clear he has nothing to do with the defense.

So if he isn't calling plays anymore then what the heck will he be doing on Sundays except standing around looking like a moron for three hours.

I would have resigned if I was him.

Have some dignity.

Have some dignity and don't work for the Commanders in the first place.

:D

YAKUZA

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That would be like Jerry stripping Wade of defensive playcalling.

Wow, the Skins are such a trainwreck:laugh1:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I wouldn't dogpile on him too much. If Jerry brings in Holmgren he could be our next QB coach.

Perfectly fine to dogpile on Commanders franchise and their fans, though.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
jobberone;3022943 said:
I'm no longer pleased with all this (other than Zorn being emasculated). I'm reveling in it. They won't be favored until maybe the Raiders game and by today's games probably not then either.

Looks like they will be 2-10 going into that game, so I doubt they'll be favored in that one either. My question is this - If you lose to three winless teams in a row, does that make you the worst team in the league? I have to say YES!!!!!!:lmao2:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
dbair1967;3022918 said:
over/under on how long it took Art or some other Redstink genius to say:

"with Zorn not calling plays, we'll be ready to play real Commander football now"...."playoffs here we come"

I'm guessing it happened within 10 minutes of the news breaking.

Leave it to the ultimate homer over there, bubba:

Re: Peter King: Snyder has decided he hired the wrong guy, interim likely be Jerry Gray

Maybe Gray can become the next Jeff Fischer, take over as the interim coach, and lead the team to a winning team and a super bowl

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6908847&postcount=11

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Zorn, Cerrato's fates apparently are intertwined

Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2009 9:58 PM ET
Commanders fans, there might be signs of hope in D.C., after all.

We're hearing that there's a strong belief within the Commanders organization that the fates of coach Jim Zorn and V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato are tied together.

So if/when Zorn goes, Cerrato could be dumped, too. (There's a chance Zorn would go after the Eagles game next Monday, and that Cerrato wouldn't be fired until after the season ends.)

That might help explain why Zorn and Cerrato will decide tomorrow who'll call the plays for the rest of the year. And why Zorn didn't simply refuse to give up his play-calling function.

The next question becomes who'll call the plays?

If it's not Sherm Lewis, we're not sure who it will be. Mike Holmgren? Joe Gibbs? Dan Snyder?

That said, Zorn should have refused to give up his play-calling duties and forced his termination. Instead, he has now allowed himself to be systematically neutered over the past two weeks, with the addition of Lewis and now the surrender of one of Zorn's core functions.

adamknite

Reaction score
theebs;3023008 said:
That link is down.

Did they fire him or am I reading that king post wrong.

This is what it says.

bubba9497 said:
Re: Peter King: Snyder has decided he hired the wrong guy, interim likely be Jerry Gr
Maybe Gray can become the next Jeff Fischer, take over as the interim coach, and lead the team to a winning team and a super bowl

EDIT: I see I'm a little late there.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
No, not fired. Just speculation from Peter King.

I just thought it was funny to think that Jerry Gray is going to take this team to the Super Bowl.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No surprise here. They're putting themselves in position to fire him after Philly beats them next Monday night.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
dbair1967;3022918 said:
over/under on how long it took Art or some other Redstink genius to say:

"with Zorn not calling plays, we'll be ready to play real Commander football now"...."playoffs here we come"

I'm guessing it happened within 10 minutes of the news breaking.

Forgive me for even being there to know about it, but they spell "playoffs" "paloffs" over there on that board, lol

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Zorn to lose,
I've lived my life in vain
Every dream has only brought me pain...:(

Kilyin

Reaction score
Maybe Snyder is preparing to bring back his 'secret weapon'. He's getting the band back together and flying in Steve Spurrier and the 'fun and gun', part two.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3022811 said:
They first hired him as a offensive coordinator.

He had never been a coodinator.

Then they gave him the head coaching job, but it's clear he has nothing to do with the defense.

So if he isn't calling plays anymore then what the heck will he be doing on Sundays except standing around looking like a moron for three hours.

I would have resigned if I was him.

Have some dignity.
There is more dignity in sucking it up and trying to get it right than there is in quitting.

He's not a good head coach I don't think but that team just isn't good. It's not his fault he's got Jason Campbell at qb.