“The Score” ranks Cowboys “QB Room” 9th among all 32 teams

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The editors of the football site The Score have published their “QB Room Rankings” for all 32 NFL teams. They have the Cowboys ranked in their “Very Good” category- specifically 9th. They have 6 teams listed in the “Elite” category- Ravens, Chargers, e-girls, Bills, Bengals and chiefs.

Other than ravens and egirls- Seems about right to me. Your thoughts?

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2653563

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philly, Ravens and Chargers are not elite but overall the rankings make sense.
Funny, Hurts gets respect everywhere but here..

Runner up in MVP and the 2nd best dual threat with the Ravens having the best dual threat.

Herbert has quietly set the record for yards and TDs in his first 3 seasons and I wonder how many people have actually watched him play? He has as good, if not the best, arm in the game.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Runner up in MVP and the 2nd best dual threat with the Ravens having the best dual threat.

Herbert has quietly set the record for yards and TDs in his first 3 seasons and I wonder how many people have actually watched him play? He has as good, if not the best, arm in the game.
The problem is that Herbert gets the benefit of the doubt for some reason.

Like, where is the "but he hasn't done it in the playoffs" rhetoric around him? He gets a largely free pass for throwing a pretty ball, but we don't hear much about how ineffective he was against Jax in the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I never said they were bad. If Mahomes is elite I can’t say he and Herbert and Hurts are of the same tier. I just can’t. Herbert’s arm is irrelevant in the discussion.

Hurts runner up one year does not make him elite. Cam Newton actually won a MVP and made a SB with junk around him and nobody ever confused him with being elite.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Like, where is the "but he hasn't done it in the playoffs" rhetoric around him? He gets a largely free pass for throwing a pretty ball, but we don't hear much about how ineffective he was against Jax in the playoffs.
Man you are preaching. For the life of me I don’t get it. People give Herbert the same respect as Burrow and I don’t understand it. They aren’t even in the same tier until Herbert has more success.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The editors of the football site The Score have published their “QB Room Rankings” for all 32 NFL teams. They have the Cowboys ranked in their “Very Good” category- specifically 9th. They have 6 teams listed in the “Elite” category- Ravens, Chargers, e-girls, Bills, Bengals and chiefs.

Looks about right. Having a 5-1 backup helps boost our ranking into the top 10.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I respect Hurts very much but believe that top shelf running game is half of his effectiveness. If he’s in 3rd and 6 or more, he’s average at best. I will say adding Marcus Mariota as Hurts’ backup was a sound move. I would put this group somewhere between 7-10, just not “elite”.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I respect Hurts very much but believe that top shelf running game is half of his effectiveness. If he’s in 3rd and 6 or more, he’s average at best. I will say adding Marcus Mariota as Hurts’ backup was a sound move. I would put this group somewhere between 7-10, just not “elite”.
I can't wait to see the Dallas defense force him to enter the injury zone by having to attempt running against their defense.

rambo2

Reaction score

I would have Dallas ranked higher because their backups have a lot of experience in the Cowboy system.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the Dallas defense force him to enter the injury zone by having to attempt running against their defense.
Be careful what you wish for. Karma's not much fun if your own qb gets hurt.

Hurts may be a one hit wonder but philly has surrounded him with a good cast just like last year. I expect the eagles to be division contenders if not more. Not a fan but Jalen did a pretty nice job last season imho.

rambo2

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. Karma's not much fun if your own qb gets hurt.

Hurts may be a one hit wonder but philly has surrounded him with a good cast just like last year. I expect the eagles to be division contenders if not more. Not a fan but Jalen did a pretty nice job last season imho.
The qb getting hurt is a big factor in who wins the Super Bowl, that and other key players like offensive tackle. It happens every year especially with the insane 17 game schedule that the league came up with . Players are on borrowed time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

You don’t think the lack of respect for Hurts might have something to do with him playing in our hated rival?

Surely all Cowboy fans are able to separate their fandom from sound analysis?

And with Moore going to LA surely we won’t have Cowboy fans rooting against Herbert who no doubt is one of the hottest prospects with no doubt one of the biggest arms.

Yea, I’m not sure all of our fans watch all of the games and or enough of the other teams.

Kwyn

Reaction score
QFunny, Hurts gets respect everywhere but here..

It’s interesting that you credit Herbert for stats. Dak doesn’t get any such leeway around here.

Herbert is barely a .500 QB and is 0-1 in the playoffs.

https://stathead.com/tiny/j6bgB

Imagine what that would look like if Dak had those results. I wonder if the Zone would be kinder to Herbert. I imagine they might be.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

He’s an Eagle.

Havic

Reaction score

You can see Herbert’s arm talent on display, which is why he gets the benefit of the doubt. Not to mention the chiefs dominate that division. Imo we beat the 49ers if Herbert was our qb that day

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can see Herbert’s arm talent on display, which is why he gets the benefit of the doubt. Not to mention the chiefs dominate that division. Imo we beat the 49ers if Herbert was our qb that day
That's dumb.

Sitting here saying that Herbert would have done better in a more difficult environment after the way he struggled against Jax is ridiculous.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is what it is and Dak is QB1 now and for the foreseeable future. That said, the score of the QB room during Aikman's tenure and Staubach's tenure wasn't down at #9.

Here's hoping the Cowboys surprise everyone in 2023.