1 Player who is standing out, 1 Player who isn't?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And an intelligent, rational one at that. I know, who’d a thunk there was such a thing.
I think he puts on a front personally lol….but yes at least he pretends to be respectable. I guess you kind of have to otherwise he would’ve been benched lol.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
blah blah blah

He wasn't going from anything to anything that doesn't start with $0, because before the extension he was never going to see that money. Your distance from the reality of how NFL contracts work is shocking.
Let’s create a hypothesis: Dak does exactly what DLaw did.

He takes 2/3rds of his current APY, which would come out to 25m$ a year, and he accepts less than half of the guarantees he got in 2021 on a new longterm deal.

Everyone would be calling it a paycut. Everyone. His agent would never work in the NFL again. And you would retort to the masses, “As long as the guarantees are greater than 0, no matter how low the APY goes you can’t technically call this a pay decrease.”

You don’t see how myopic that is?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Let’s create a hypothesis: Dak does exactly what DLaw did.

He takes 2/3rds of his current APY, which would come out to 25m$ a year, and he accepts less than half of the guarantees he got in 2021 on a new longterm deal.

Everyone would be calling it a paycut. Everyone. His agent would never work in the NFL again. And you would retort to the masses, “As long as the guarantees are greater than 0, no matter how low the APY goes you can’t technically call this a pay decrease.”

You don’t see how myopic that is?
If guarantees are 0, the contract is over. I'm not reading all that or going through that exercise.

Proof

Reaction score
Stand out: Demarcus Lawrence. This has been the first season IMO where his contract was justified despite not having double digit sacks.

Non-standout: Sam Williams. I saw that impressive chart detailing how great the Cowboys’ 2022 draft class was, and I couldn’t help but notice that the second round pick may for the umpteenth time be the class’s weakest link.
tanks been worth every penny since he signed his new deal, and that's even including the time missed w/ injury. williams has been disappointing overall, but has flashed and seems like things may be clicking.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Stand out: Demarcus Lawrence. This has been the first season IMO where his contract was justified despite not having double digit sacks.

Non-standout: Sam Williams. I saw that impressive chart detailing how great the Cowboys’ 2022 draft class was, and I couldn’t help but notice that the second round pick may for the umpteenth time be the class’s weakest link.
I think Sam has flashes of being a really good player but for some reason, he isn't there all the time. I keep waiting for him to become a real disruption to the opposing teams offense. Every once in a while, you see him show up. If he can keep his attitude in check, I think he might be a really good player in the future.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Wilsons contract is fine like 21 million over 3 years. Sure I would like more out of him but he has been hurt and may come on late. Jordan Lewis is a fine player and helps build a full roster. Pollard has been disappointing but what do you expect when you give a guy a big deal coming off a nasty injury. Same with Steele. Gallup was the same way. Lesson learned? Williams is a head case and a team cancer. D Flaw fans will slurp him no matter what.

The positive players have been incredible. Most of them on insane team friendly deals. Lamb, Bland, Tyler Smith, Ferguson, Bell and Parsons are what championship rosters are made of. If you have a nucleus like that making almost nothing and you do not go far in the playoffs you gotta take a hard look at where the money went and what did you get for it.

This is the year Dak, Zack, Tyron and D Flaw need to justify their existence. Dak had been very good. The others need to step it up.
d flaw??? yikes

MyFairLady

Reaction score
D Flaw is a greedy little mercenary who has not done the Cowboys any favors at any time. He has been overpaid every single season since his big contract year. He is a poor leader. He is a self promotor. He is a big part of what has held this team back for years. The nucleus of young defenders makes him irrelevant. Will be happy to see him leave.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Standout - DaRon Bland. Yes obvious, as I think most knew he was good in his role. But when Diggs went down, many also seemed to think, oh no, who will step up. Well bland has.

Standdown - I would say Pollard, but the last couple of games he has really come on to play like we expected. So not him. I will say the TE's as a group. As to me their overall impact is not what I thought they would be. Not horrible, but not dominating either.
Surprised it took until page two for Bland’s name to be mentioned. He’s been the biggest standout. I think we all expected CeeDee to standout. However, Bland has really stepped up for the injured Trevon Diggs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
D Flaw is a greedy little mercenary who has not done the Cowboys any favors at any time. He has been overpaid every single season since his big contract year. He is a poor leader. He is a self promotor. He is a big part of what has held this team back for years. The nucleus of young defenders makes him irrelevant. Will be happy to see him leave.
I think he has his moments in the games where he makes his usual play or two, but I think he's in the mold of Crawford he's just a guy that's been here for years, and we owe our honor and respect to keep him on the roster

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sitting around thinking about players on this team and the success they've had, while others on this team who may have taken a slump for whatever reason. Please as the topic states, give 1 player who is standing out, then one who may be not standing out as expected. I'll start

Stand out player= Tyler Smith, who thought when we drafted him that he'd be this good. They've put a lot on his plate, and he's handled it well!! I can see him getting a huge payday, and being all pro for many years!!

Player who isn't standing out-I'd say Jourdan Lewis,he hasn't been horrible, just hasn't been anything great, I think I was expecting more, I like how savvy he is etc. There's still time left with him this season, I'm not sure he's on this team next season. Please give your thoughts, come up with your own thoughts!!!
Yeah, I don't get this at all. Lewis is the 4th CB, pressed into service as the third CB because of injury. Why would you expect more than a basic level of competence?

As for Tyler, I think the general consensus when they drafted him was that he'd make a really good guard, perhaps not as quickly as he has. The question was whether he could be a good LT, and the jury is still out on that (whether he can be a top LT and whether they'll put him there).

I think Bland is the obvious standout. He's a guy who certainly looked promising and showed some ballhawking tendencies last year, but he got pressed into service as the 2nd CB, playing the outside which is not what was planned for him, and he's turned into one of the very best CBs in the league. Even without the pick-sixes, his coverage stats are spectacular and the eye test agrees.

Steele is the non-standout. Sure, there are probably reasons he's underperforming and hope that it will get better, but to me, he's the #1 reason we lost in Philly (there were plenty of others, from that awful drop by Gallup to the penalties, etc.). They're going to have to compensate for him better, but anytime you do that, you're sacrificing something, most likely the chance for the kinds of explosive players we've been putting up against the weaker sisters.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think he has his moments in the games where he makes his usual play or two, but I think he's in the mold of Crawford he's just a guy that's been here for years, and we owe our honor and respect to keep him on the roster
Crawfords position on the team was a complete joke for years. Perhaps the most overpaid player in team history. Inexplicable contracts. D Flaw no where near that level of terrible but both have received special treatment from Jerry for sure.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Crawfords position on the team was a complete joke for years. Perhaps the most overpaid player in team history. Inexplicable contracts. D Flaw no where near that level of terrible but both have received special treatment from Jerry for sure.
he's loyal maybe he's a part owner of the hot boyz