1 Player who is standing out, 1 Player who isn't?

exciter

Reaction score
Stand out: Demarcus Lawrence. This has been the first season IMO where his contract was justified despite not having double digit sacks.

Non-standout: Sam Williams. I saw that impressive chart detailing how great the Cowboys’ 2022 draft class was, and I couldn’t help but notice that the second round pick may for the umpteenth time be the class’s weakest link.
Hmmm… Williams has been getting around 12 snaps a game as the backup 43 under SAM/Leo to Parsons. If say 2/3rds are pass, then he’s getting around 8 rushs a game. In that he has 4 sacks… 3 in last 4 games and including a strip sack vs Jordan Mailata.
For perspective Lawrence and Armstrong have 4 and 5 sacks respectively while getting 27-30 snaps a game. Let’s wait and see what Williams does when he’s getting his snaps with Micah on the opposite side and not getting a breather on the sideline before we get too critical!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I have to pick just 1 standout, it’s got be be Bland. He’s a legit DPOY candidate.

If there’s 1 not standing out - or doing so for the wrong reasons, it’s Jourdan Lewis for me. He’s too up and down from play to play. And he’s a targeted weakness in the secondary. Thielen in particular ate his lunch in the Panthers game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Standout: Bell - I put him here because he was an unknown, yet he is holding fort and playing well. I could have said Bland, but I knew how he had played and he was good.
one who isn't: Lewis - he is sucking it this year. doesn't have the agility or quickness to stay with slot WRs any more. they are killing him with those Drag routes.....
Steele was second choice, but he is coming off surgery so I am being a little nice, but he has underwhelmed, although he is making a small recovery in his play...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Sitting around thinking about players on this team and the success they've had, while others on this team who may have taken a slump for whatever reason. Please as the topic states, give 1 player who is standing out, then one who may be not standing out as expected. I'll start

Stand out player= Tyler Smith, who thought when we drafted him that he'd be this good. They've put a lot on his plate, and he's handled it well!! I can see him getting a huge payday, and being all pro for many years!!

Player who isn't standing out-I'd say Jourdan Lewis,he hasn't been horrible, just hasn't been anything great, I think I was expecting more, I like how savvy he is etc. There's still time left with him this season, I'm not sure he's on this team next season. Please give your thoughts, come up with your own thoughts!!!
Stand out is easy; Bland
The other: Wilson, he's been invisible...

conner01

Reaction score
Standout: Bell - I put him here because he was an unknown, yet he is holding fort and playing well. I could have said Bland, but I knew how he had played and he was good.
one who isn't: Lewis - he is sucking it this year. doesn't have the agility or quickness to stay with slot WRs any more. they are killing him with those Drag routes.....
Steele was second choice, but he is coming off surgery so I am being a little nice, but he has underwhelmed, although he is making a small recovery in his play...
Bell is a huge and pleasant surprise.

JBS

Reaction score
The Lewis hate on this forum is beyond belief. Truly shows how low the football IQ in here is

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Standout - Dak

Outkast - Schoon

Im curious what the crowd hating on Jourdan Lewis thought/thinks of Owuzie when he was here. This board hated on him...but eye test seemed to suggest he always had his man covered well, it was just the dude had some dark cloud following him where every pass seemed to be perfect placement against him. Never seen a cornerback be a fingernail short so many times from deflecting a ball...but he was there and had his man covered well...he was just unlucky it seemed. My point is...I think I take a guy that covers his man decently over some guy that has 4 INT's but doesnt cover his man as well. If that makes sense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stand out: Demarcus Lawrence. This has been the first season IMO where his contract was justified despite not having double digit sacks.

Non-standout: Sam Williams. I saw that impressive chart detailing how great the Cowboys’ 2022 draft class was, and I couldn’t help but notice that the second round pick may for the umpteenth time be the class’s weakest link.
Williams has been playing well. He has had sacks in 3 of the last 4 games

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don't agree here. Two rookies getting into the zone where they should start showing up and play adequately in most situations.
Yeah, last couple of games been seeing Mazi getting in the backfield, and Shoonmaker showed up a bit on Thanksgiving. Didn't notice how big Shoonmaker was.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not that Lamb is a shocker, but I'm not sure anyone knew this deep into the year he'd be third in the league in yards. He's been super impressive.

The Michigan boys are my disappointments. All 3 of them. Didn't expect much from any of the 3, but they've all underdelivered (Lewis, Mazi, Schoon)
Mazi and Schoon are rooks that have been showing up, not at the rate of instant success that many demand around here.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
Standout - Dak

Outkast - Schoon

Im curious what the crowd hating on Jourdan Lewis thought/thinks of Owuzie when he was here. This board hated on him...but eye test seemed to suggest he always had his man covered well, it was just the dude had some dark cloud following him where every pass seemed to be perfect placement against him. Never seIen a cornerback be a fingernail short so many times from deflecting a ball...but he was there and had his man covered well...he was just unlucky it seemed. My point is...I think I take a guy that covers his man decently over some guy that has 4 INT's but doesnt cover his man as well. If that makes sense.
Boy that is sooooo true. I thought Awuzie was snakebitten the last 2 years he was here. I have never seen someone have great coverage so many times still give up a completed pass. It was partly because he didnt have a great ability to track the ball. I believe Awuzie made Kenny Golladay millions of dollars when Dallas played Detroit a few years back.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Boy that is sooooo true. I thought Awuzie was snakebitten the last 2 years he was here. I have never seen someone have great coverage so many times still give up a completed pass. It was partly because he didnt have a great ability to track the ball. I believe Awuzie made Kenny Golladay millions of dollars when Dallas played Detroit a few years back.
Awuzie was here when they had to controversial technique being taught to our CB's as well. The tactic of not turning your head around to track the ball but to watch the receivers hands and play the pass that way. I believe that was during Awuzie's time here.

Awuzie was always right there it seemed.

817Gill

Reaction score
People who bag on Lewis have no realistic expectations for a slot CB.
Easiest place to win, that’s why WR’s go in the slot when they need a spark. You have no boundary help and have to deal with traffic not to mention super quick WR’s.

It’s not been his best year, but coming off a devastating injury he’s been fine.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
That Lewis hate...seems comical after one game.

What did he do so badly this game to warrant the hate? Bland got picked on...but Lewis held it down when it mattered, no?