1 reason why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas

J12B

Reaction score
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Maybe acquiring Amari Cooper changes things, in terms of salary cap complications, but I highly doubt it. There is 120 million in cap space available (without the probable increase of increase) for next season, which makes me believe a deal can easily be reached, EVEN with all the other signings that are needed.

If Dallas was prepared to ship off a 2nd round pick for a player in the final year of his deal, they seriously wanted him. They were willing to give up a premium pick knowing they would have to resign him in 2019.

All the reasons why he will end up a Dallas Cowboy once free agency starts up:
  • Dallas ready to ship a 2nd round draft pick for Thomas last season
  • Now he is a free agent
  • Dallas still has a great need for him
  • Dallas can work out a deal given the 120 million in cap space next season
  • Earl has moved his family 3 hours away from Dallas to Austin. Can easily get rent an apartment during the season and commute on off days to see his family or his family can come see him on the weekends
  • ET made it widely known he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy through social media postings during his holdout
  • Literally approached Jason Garrett after a game in 2017 saying to "come get him".

Like, how can he NOT be a Dallas Cowboy this coming season lol

Mods: Please change the thread title to "Reasons why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas"

Cowboys22

Reaction score

I agree he likely will be a Cowboy but if they find they can sign Landon Collins for the same amount or just a little more, they might decide to do that instead. He’s younger and it would weaken a division rival. Just a thought.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Maybe acquiring Amari Cooper changes things, in terms of salary cap complications, but I highly doubt it. There is 120 million in cap space available (without the probable increase of increase) for next season, which makes me believe a deal can easily be reached, EVEN with all the other signings that are needed.

If Dallas was prepared to ship off a 2nd round pick for a player in the final year of his deal, they seriously wanted him. They were willing to give up a premium pick knowing they would have to resign him in 2019.

• Now he is a free agent
  • Earl has moved his family 3 hours away from Dallas to Austin. Can easily get rent an apartment during the season and commute on off days to see his family or his family can come see him on the weekends
  • ET made it widely known he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy through social media postings during his holdout
  • Literally approached Jason Garrett after a game in 2017 saying to "come get him".

Mods: Please change the thread title to "Reasons why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas"

I've been saying since 2018, when all this talk started, that we wouldn't sign him. Now I'm not so sure. It depends on what he wants and what the top bidder is willing to pay. Make no mistake, ET is out for a big pay day, his last, and we all know a few teams will pay big. Would ET accept a lesser payday to sign with the Cowboys is more the question. Maybe 31 and 2 broken legs in the last 3 years scares a few teams off but if it doesn't scare us why would it scare others. Just injecting a little reality here

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Don't jump the gun

We were willing to trade a pick for Kenny Vacarro in 2017 at the trade deadline. Vacarro became a free agent that summer, he went unsigned even until after the comp pick period until the Titans signed him to a one year-roughly $2M deal. That's all. He went on to play very well for the Titans.

So we were willing to send a pick
He then became a free agent
Dallas had a need for him
He didnt require much cap space
Vacarro is a local kid who would likely want to play for us

Don't understand why we did what we did, but same thing for happen for Earl.

J12B

Reaction score

I agree he likely will be a Cowboy but if they find they can sign Landon Collins for the same amount or just a little more, they might decide to do that instead. He’s younger and it would weaken a division rival. Just a thought.

No clue why New York won't extend him. They should have plenty of cap space once they release Eli.

I think at the very least, NY franchise tags him.

ondaedg

Reaction score

• Now he is a free agent

We had a total of 9 INTs last year. That is why we sign ET.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would sign the best FA DT and then draft one with the first pick. Got enough left over for Thomas, OK but if not, this team needs more than a Safety. This DL is incomplete and ya don't start on the game room until the foundation is complete.

Make the DL better; make the secondary better but the reverse is not true. It all starts up front.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Collins is good but they need a guy that can create turnovers, thump and cover. Collins is much more of a thumper not a great cover guy. Thomas is a much better option.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One difference is if we had traded for him a year ago, the franchise tag would have been an option in 2019 if a reasonable contract couldn’t be worked out. We would have had leverage. Now hat isn’t an option, and a multi-year deal will have to be worked out. And, of course, now he is a year older and has had a broken leg.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Collins is good but they need a guy that can create turnovers, thump and cover. Collins is much more of a thumper not a great cover guy. Thomas is a much better option.

Create turnovers, thump, AND cover? So the most perfect safety ever.

Also Earl doesnt thump

JBS

Reaction score
1 reason why Dallas will sign ET

Dallas' current safeties suck

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I've been saying since 2018, when all this talk started, that we wouldn't sign him. Now I'm not so sure. It depends on what he wants and what the top bidder is willing to pay. Make no mistake, ET is out for a big pay day, his last, and we all know a few teams will pay big. Would ET accept a lesser payday to sign with the Cowboys is more the question. Maybe 31 and 2 broken legs in the last 3 years scares a few teams off but if it doesn't scare us why would it scare others. Just injecting a little reality here
No need to accept less for us.

We can easy afford him.

And because he wants a big payday..so?

Cut Heath, Crawford and Hurns.

Bingo.

Easy Peasy.

Yes he has had injuries.

But he has not so much wear and tear after missing games last year and part of the year before.

And he is 29.

With Richard running the defense?

The fact he moved his kids to Austin is a sign.

He can just buy another house in Dallas with what he is about to make.

conner01

Reaction score
If Thomas still wants to be the highest paid safety in the league then he won't be here. The farther he comes down on his price the more likely it is that he comes to Dallas.
Agree
When we wanted him we was aware we had to pay him but there has been a big change people forget since then, Cooper
Now we have cooper and have to pay Cooper
If ET wants to play here for a good paying contract I could see it. If ET wants a highest paid safety contract I don’t see it happening

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

He got 4 years, $40 million in his last contract and ended up missing 19 games the last 3 seasons. Now 4 years older and having been injured multiple times, it would be foolish to give him a similar deal, much less a better one. If someone else is willing to do it, let them.

ESisback

Reaction score

• Now he is a free agent

If they can get him for the right price, AFTER they sign our own vital FA’s. I’d also try to land the run stuffing, space eating DT we need. Plus, Collins might be a better option (younger).