1 reason why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas

ESisback

Reaction score
He got 4 years, $40 million in his last contract and ended up missing 19 games the last 3 seasons. Now 4 years older and having been injured multiple times, it would be foolish to give him a similar deal, much less a better one. If someone else is willing to do it, let them.

Yeah, the price would have to be right!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need to accept less for us.

We can easy afford him. Not until all of our own players are signed do we know how much we'll have and does the needs list only have him on it?

And because he wants a big payday..so? A big pay day now is one thing but add Lawrence and them Lord Byron after the option and Smith and LVE will be coming up after that. The real problem is too few players making too much money. That's why NE is there every year, they may have one of those players on the team but they not have multiple ones.

Cut Heath, Crawford and Hurns. How are you going to replace Crawford?

Bingo.

Easy Peasy.

Yes he has had injuries.

But he has not so much wear and tear after missing games last year and part of the year before.

And he is 29.

With Richard running the defense?

The fact he moved his kids to Austin is a sign. Really doesn't, they knew he was leaving that area and he wanted his kids in Austin. He can commute to wherever he plays and have an apartment. Austin is going to be home.

He can just buy another house in Dallas with what he is about to make.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Maybe acquiring Amari Cooper changes things, in terms of salary cap complications, but I highly doubt it. There is 120 million in cap space available (without the probable increase of increase) for next season, which makes me believe a deal can easily be reached, EVEN with all the other signings that are needed.

If Dallas was prepared to ship off a 2nd round pick for a player in the final year of his deal, they seriously wanted him. They were willing to give up a premium pick knowing they would have to resign him in 2019.

All the reasons why he will end up a Dallas Cowboy once free agency starts up:
  • Dallas ready to ship a 2nd round draft pick for Thomas last season
  • Now he is a free agent
  • Dallas still has a great need for him
  • Dallas can work out a deal given the 120 million in cap space next season
  • Earl has moved his family 3 hours away from Dallas to Austin. Can easily get rent an apartment during the season and commute on off days to see his family or his family can come see him on the weekends
  • ET made it widely known he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy through social media postings during his holdout
  • Literally approached Jason Garrett after a game in 2017 saying to "come get him".

Like, how can he NOT be a Dallas Cowboy this coming season lol

Mods: Please change the thread title to "Reasons why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas"

There was no confirmation that they offered a 2nd round pick.

Some media think that was a false "leak" by either the Seahawks or ET's agent to stir up interest by other teams.

The Cowboys won't get into a bidding war. They'll have a price and give him a take it or leave type offer.

The Cowboys wanted ET as much to help implement the Kris Richard coverage scheme as they wanted him as a player. They've had a year in the scheme which might reduce that part of ET's appeal to them.

The playoff loss to the Rams was in large part due to the Cowboys struggles in run defense. ET's value is in pass defense. Not that he is bad in run defense but there are lower cost options with similar or better run defense abilities.

I don't see them offering an Eric Berry type contract (6 years, 78M, 40M guaranteed).

Berry was 28 going into the season after the contract.

ET will be 30 going into the 2019 season.

The Cowboys might pay him the 13M average that Berry received but I don't see them offering the 40M guaranteed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IND, NYJ, BUF, CLE and HOU all have in excess of 75M in cap space. I could see him in IND and HOU before DAL because they've got the money to spend and are both fighting for the division, I could see him getting a fat payday with either before DAL.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If they can get him for the right price, AFTER they sign our own vital FA’s. I’d also try to land the run stuffing, space eating DT we need. Plus, Collins might be a better option (younger).

A better option but if we feel that way about Collins, other teams feel the same and will pay him more than ET. Probably out of our price range. Agree with run stuffing, space eating,QB grabbing DT in the draft or FA

J12B

Reaction score
IND, NYJ, BUF, CLE and HOU all have in excess of 75M in cap space. I could see him in IND and HOU before DAL because they've got the money to spend and are both fighting for the division, I could see him getting a fat payday with either before DAL.

I'd say only Houston is the real possibility.

Him moving to Austin indicates he wants to play only in Texas.

But you're right, Houston should be considered another legit landing spot

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

We can easy afford him.

And because he wants a big payday..so?

Cut Heath, Crawford and Hurns.

Bingo.

Easy Peasy.

Yes he has had injuries.

But he has not so much wear and tear after missing games last year and part of the year before.

And he is 29.

The fact he moved his kids to Austin is a sign.

Ok sorry, he'll be 30 in May. I don't think or believe that we will pay big for ET. It flies against everything the team has done since Brandon Carr. It's JMO though Red. Lot's of players live in Austin and don't play for Dallas. It could mean something or nothing

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say only Houston is the real possibility.

Him moving to Austin indicates he wants to play only in Texas.

But you're right, Houston should be considered another legit landing spot

What moving to Austin indicates is that he wants to live in Austin, which is supported by the fact he previously lived in Austin 4 years, and he used to spend the offseason working out in Austin even while playing for Seattle. It’s not a daily commute between either Austin and either Housto or Dallas anyway, so whether he plays in either of those cities, or any other NFL city, he will be separated from his family and have to keep an apartment where he works.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First things first, do we need Earl Thomas and my answer would be yes. Woods is getting better but he isn't Earl Thomas. Thomas instincts and ability to create turnovers and how he would be like a QB on defense is more than worth the money. What kind of contract will he get since he does turn 30 in June, will bring about two trains of thought. One is a back loaded contract something like $60 million over 5 years with $30 million guaranteed or just maybe a $40 million contract over 4 years with $30 million guaranteed.

Why the difference? The contract between the NFL and NFLPA is up at the end of 2020 season. There will be many things that happen or could happen just as a strike or lock out but one things all the so-called experts agree about is that the salary cap is going to really jump. It is projected at $191 million for 2019 and projected at $215 million for 2020 but the betting odds in Vegas is that the cap in 2021 will be north of $260 million after the new CBA is in place. You could easily give Thomas a modest signing bonus of $12 million and salaries of year one at $2 million, $2 million in year two, $12 million in year three and only have to guarantee $2 million of a $12 million salary in year 4. Could walk away from the contract in year four with $5 million in dead cap but gain $7 million in cap relief.

Every player wants the status of having the biggest contract but the reality is guaranteed money, that is all that counts in the end.

Thomas moves the defense up a couple of notches and allows Dallas to possibly draft a safety that is raw but could learn from Thomas.

PS. Betting we see a ton of contracts that reflect what the new CBA will be like this year and next.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Collins would be my first choice but he may be too expensive and may not want to come here. ET is more realistic and I would love to have him in our backfield.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We can easy afford him.
And because he wants a big payday..so?
Cut Heath, Crawford and Hurns.
Bingo.
Easy Peasy.
Yes he has had injuries.
And he is 29.
The fact he moved his kids to Austin is a sign.

1. I don't care where he owns a house.
2. 29? He'll be 30 before training camp.
3. Cut Heath? Who will back up Earl when he gets hurt, a likely scenario since he's missed 19 games the last 3 seasons.
4. He got $40 million the last 4 years (and missed over a season's worth of games). I'm not rewarding him for his great season in 2013.
5. He has less wear and tear because he's been hurt? Well, that's one way of rationalizing it.

If Earl Thomas played college ball at East Tennessee State, would this thread even exist?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
We continuely get gashed up front

We need interior DT's - I'm fine with ET and all but our D didn't fail due to backend play

Can't say this enough but with some on this board not getting it, I begin to wonder if the top brass gets it too and just thought that rams game was a Twlight Zone monment.

garyv

Reaction score
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Maybe acquiring Amari Cooper changes things, in terms of salary cap complications, but I highly doubt it. There is 120 million in cap space available (without the probable increase of increase) for next season, which makes me believe a deal can easily be reached, EVEN with all the other signings that are needed.

I agree in Earl but where you getting 120 mil cap space

If Dallas was prepared to ship off a 2nd round pick for a player in the final year of his deal, they seriously wanted him. They were willing to give up a premium pick knowing they would have to resign him in 2019.

• Now he is a free agent
  • Earl has moved his family 3 hours away from Dallas to Austin. Can easily get rent an apartment during the season and commute on off days to see his family or his family can come see him on the weekends
  • ET made it widely known he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy through social media postings during his holdout
  • Literally approached Jason Garrett after a game in 2017 saying to "come get him".

Mods: Please change the thread title to "Reasons why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas"

agree in Earl but where you getting 120 mil cap space

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

• Now he is a free agent

One reason?... because you imagined it. :muttley:

Dre11

Reaction score
Biggest reason is him being a Richard disciple, would be an extension of him in the secondary, while getting everyone lined up in right spots.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Give the defense a dominant defensive tackle for pass pressure, and Thomas in the secondary, and the defense can carry as much into the playoffs as could the offense.