1 reason why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas

Silverstar

Reaction score
Give the defense a dominant defensive tackle for pass pressure, and Thomas in the secondary, and the defense can carry as much into the playoffs as could the offense.

Yes...and we should target a veteran like DT Henry Anderson (6-6 300, 7 SKS, 16 QBH) from the Jets. He's a 2015 3rd round pick from Stanford who's starting to put up big numbers now. I think he would be an excellent replacement for Irving without breaking the bank.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Improve the interior of the D-line first and we stop the run, get inside pressure on the QB and — like magic! — our incumbent safeties will instantly improve.
I have been watching the safetes and CBs since the housecleaning 3 seasons ago.

Heath is a JAG..no coverage skills with TEs.

Woods is OK..but just.

Brown started off well but cooled.

Awuzie is a top guy.

Jones has taken the step needed.

But there are no playmakers.

Thomas instantly changes things and forces QBs to stay away from down the middle throws.

Meaning more dump offs where Jaylon and Vander Esch thrive.

Yes we need more up the middle with DL.

But the big chunks from the secondary need to be extinguished.

Thomas is a 9 time Pro Bowler.

You are not going to draft that

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes...and we should target a veteran like DT Henry Anderson (6-6 300, 7 SKS, 16 QBH) from the Jets. He's a 2015 3rd round pick from Stanford who's starting to put up big numbers now. I think he would be an excellent replacement for Irving without breaking the bank.

I just checked into Andrperson because I wasn’t familiar with him, and the 7 sacks you posted intrigued me, and I don’t think he fits. He’s been a 3-4 DE over his career, first with the Colts, then the Jets. Apparently the reason the Colts traded him was because they were switching to a 4-3 scheme (with former Cowboy coach Eberflus as DC) and they didn’t see him as a fit in a 4-3.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Broken leg *after* we were willing to make that trade.

The bottom fell out of the S market last year. Lots of guys are available again this year. I wouldn't be only looking at Thomas.

This is how teams get chumped. They fall in love with one guy, and have to have him, instead of playing the market.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
1. I don't care where he owns a house.
2. 29? He'll be 30 before training camp.
3. Cut Heath? Who will back up Earl when he gets hurt, a likely scenario since he's missed 19 games the last 3 seasons.
4. He got $40 million the last 4 years (and missed over a season's worth of games). I'm not rewarding him for his great season in 2013.
5. He has less wear and tear because he's been hurt? Well, that's one way of rationalizing it.

If Earl Thomas played college ball at East Tennessee State, would this thread even exist?
My Jake..

you are just overwhelming.

Strike a nerve.?

You got no dog in this fight.

You are whistling in the graveyard.

Relax bro.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I just checked into Andrperson because I wasn’t familiar with him, and the 7 sacks you posted intrigued me, and I don’t think he fits. He’s been a 3-4 DE over his career, first with the Colts, then the Jets. Apparently the reason the Colts traded him was because they were switching to a 4-3 scheme (with former Cowboy coach Eberflus as DC) and they didn’t see him as a fit in a 4-3.

Well, I think the Colts traded Anderson because he was placed on IR twice, his rookie year in 2015 (knee) and again in 2017 (larynx fracture). So, coupling that with just 3 sacks in 3 seasons and I'm sure the Colts and Eberflus were ready to move on. Regardless of that, I think Anderson will fit fine in Marinelli's "rushman" scheme so to speak. We need a guy that can create havoc the way Irving did in 2017. Anderson can be that guy and he won't command a 8-10 mil a season type contract. It's time to look for not only Irving's replacement but Crawford too IMO....in steps Anderson.

Another player I like is Rodney Gunter from the Cards, but I don't think he's as quick as Anderson.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I think the Colts traded Anderson because he was placed on IR twice, his rookie year in 2015 (knee) and again in 2017 (larynx fracture). So, coupling that with just 3 sacks in 3 seasons and I'm sure the Colts and Eberflus were ready to move on. Regardless of that, I think Anderson will fit just fine in Marinelli's scheme. We need a guy that can create havoc the way Irving did in 2017. Anderson can be that guy and he won't command a 8-10 mil a season type contract. It's time to look for not only Irving's replacement but Crawford too IMO....in steps Anderson.

Another player I like is Rodney Gunter from the Cards, but I don't think he's as quick as Anderson.

Injuries were definitely part of what has hurt Anderson, but I looked at and read a fair amount on him and it was widely believed that being a bad scheme fit for a 4-3 is also a big factor.

As for creating havoc like Irving, one of the questions surrounding Anderson is whether he is strong enough to play interior DL, plus he is slower than Irving. I would be surprised if he is any more effective in the interior than Crawford. Anderson was notably slower than either Irving or Crawford coming out of college, and not notably more powerful.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Injuries were definitely part of what has hurt Anderson, but I looked at and read a fair amount on him and it was widely believed that being a bad scheme fit for a 4-3 is also a big factor.

As for creating havoc like Irving, one of the questions surrounding Anderson is whether he is strong enough to play interior DL, plus he is slower than Irving. I would be surprised if he is any more effective in the interior than Crawford. Anderson was notably slower than either Irving or Crawford coming out of college, and not notably more powerful.

That was quick you caught me editing. :)

Here's a video of him...https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/henry-anderson-season-highlights

I just don't want to spend a lot on a DT, because I'm warming up to the idea of getting ET in Dallas, even though it's probably going to be too much.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I think it would be a bad signing. He is hurt way to much and he is older. We should count our blessings that we didnt trade for him

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was quick you caught me editing. :)

Here's a video of him...https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/henry-anderson-season-highlights

I just don't want to spend a lot on a DT, because I'm warming up to the idea of getting ET in Dallas, even though it's probably going to be too much.

The video looks good, but of course any video designed to highlight a player looks good. I can't claim to know from any personal knowledge whether he would fit, but what I've read is he isn't really suited to a 4-3. I assume that means he is too slow to play DE in a 4-3, but not strong enough to be anything but average in the interior.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Because they were ready to give up a 2nd round pick last year. Now, that he is a free agent and doesnt cost them a draft pick, Dallas has a change of mind? Lol, I don't think so.

Maybe acquiring Amari Cooper changes things, in terms of salary cap complications, but I highly doubt it. There is 120 million in cap space available (without the probable increase of increase) for next season, which makes me believe a deal can easily be reached, EVEN with all the other signings that are needed.

If Dallas was prepared to ship off a 2nd round pick for a player in the final year of his deal, they seriously wanted him. They were willing to give up a premium pick knowing they would have to resign him in 2019.

All the reasons why he will end up a Dallas Cowboy once free agency starts up:
  • Dallas ready to ship a 2nd round draft pick for Thomas last season
  • Now he is a free agent
  • Dallas still has a great need for him
  • Dallas can work out a deal given the 120 million in cap space next season
  • Earl has moved his family 3 hours away from Dallas to Austin. Can easily get rent an apartment during the season and commute on off days to see his family or his family can come see him on the weekends
  • ET made it widely known he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy through social media postings during his holdout
  • Literally approached Jason Garrett after a game in 2017 saying to "come get him".

Like, how can he NOT be a Dallas Cowboy this coming season lol

Mods: Please change the thread title to "Reasons why Dallas will sign Earl Thomas"
I'd sign him to a high one year deal because I dont know how he will be after an injury like that at his age but I have seen him come back from injury before, so I'd pay him a one year maybe two year if not all guaranteed mostly so that he will feel it's worth it and so that we wont be tied down if hes not. If give him a good 13 to 14.5 million a year deal, because if he comes back like he was pre-injury we have our safety and it will show especially on this defense we have in dallas. In my opinion, we need to sign one or two good free agents to a one year maybe two year deal. Like for example if I could sign Thomas to a one year fully guaranteed deal and sign gerald mccoy to a one or two year deal, with all the youth improving on this team. Those additions put our defense in the top 3 definitely and it will show. McCoy with Dlaw, Gregory, Collins and Woods and up and comers like Armstrong, I feel like taco is about to show alot this season. The secondary improved during the season in my opinion. Guys like awuzie came on near the end and jones was nice. Add Thomas back there with these guys and turnovers are going to happen. Woods is a nice safety in coverage but Thomas is a guy that finds/gets turnovers. We need that. McCoy AND Thomas would be my targets for no more than two year deals. We can pay dak next year and Zeke after his final year. We just need to pay Dlaw this year and maybe Lee and someone I have forgot.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Dallas will definitely be involved. Getting long term deals done with Lawrence and Cooper early make a FA signing like Thomas more likely.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
As with most of you, I want a big-bodied defensive tackle, but I also want turnovers. If ET really wants to be in Dallas (and with his age and current injury status) he should be willing to talk very fair numbers. That should allow flexibility for Dallas to address both needs on the defense. We shall see!!

cern

Reaction score
too many accolades regarding what Thomas has done in the past. last 3 years, 2 broken legs. missed a few games in between the two breaks. we'd be wise to stay away from the oft injured. we need young, strong, tough players. not 30 year olds, past their prime, demanding to be highest paid at the position.

starfan1

Reaction score
I have been watching the safetes and CBs since the housecleaning 3 seasons ago.

Heath is a JAG..no coverage skills with TEs.

Woods is OK..but just.

Brown started off well but cooled.

Awuzie is a top guy.

Jones has taken the step needed.

But there are no playmakers.

Thomas instantly changes things and forces QBs to stay away from down the middle throws.

Meaning more dump offs where Jaylon and Vander Esch thrive.

Yes we need more up the middle with DL.

But the big chunks from the secondary need to be extinguished.

Thomas is a 9 time Pro Bowler.

You are not going to draft that

you're also not going to get that when he is in the training room. I am extremely nervous about handcuffing themselves elsewhere to get this guy in here. I honestly think DT is more important. I agree with you that we've sen enough of Heath and i like Woods and awuzi

IMO our priorities need to be as follows
Dlaw
Zeke
Dak
DT
Safety I'm not married to Thomas

I'm also not as enamored with Jones after his Pro Bowl announcement he proceeded to stink it up

ondaedg

Reaction score
I would sign the best FA DT and then draft one with the first pick. Got enough left over for Thomas, OK but if not, this team needs more than a Safety. This DL is incomplete and ya don't start on the game room until the foundation is complete.

Make the DL better; make the secondary better but the reverse is not true. It all starts up front.

Safety is as important as DT. The Jones boys don't buy into that and that is why we are among the worst in INTs over the kast 7 years.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
too many accolades regarding what Thomas has done in the past. last 3 years, 2 broken legs. missed a few games in between the two breaks. we'd be wise to stay away from the oft injured. we need young, strong, tough players. not 30 year olds, past their prime, demanding to be highest paid at the position.
:hammer:

silvrNblue

Reaction score
This al comes down to $$$$$. Sigh him if the $ is right, walk away if not. He can move next door to the stadium, but if he wants a payday like a fresh, younger, unbroken player, you walk away. ET claims he wants to play here, then prove it and take a well worth contract and not go blow up the cap we have for him.