10 things I think I think

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Here's a neat trick to gain cap space......easy money dawg. Cap shmappppp....all just trickery designed to keep the fans placated. We can't do this or that because we have no money....:laugh:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I wonder if all the people running around here shrieking "The sky is falling" ever stopped to think that the Cowboys may have to see how the dust settles a little bit before acting.

Given the fact they have a limited budget, wouldn't it be smart to see who they're losing so they don't fill holes unnecessarily and, in doing so, spend the money they need to fill the real holes in their roster?

This may be the case but they have read the cowboys made a big swing offer to Watkins (apparently not big enough) and some other talent has been signed at a reasonable rate (Honey Badger, supposed scheme fit or not).

Then the Jones family are slinging drinks while doing the limbo in the tropics while free agents, not only big money players are signing with other teams.

Sure Will can man the phones but optics with reference to Stephen can infuriate some of the fan base fair or not.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
In your comparison between Crawford and Irving over the past three years, Crawford played 10 more games.

Shows that it helps to be healthy and eligible to play. Get more snaps that way.....

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if Hernandez makes it all the way to fifty. We are not the only team showing a lot of interest in him.
I agree but it would not surprise me either if the Boys use one of those comp picks (maybe both) in the 4th move up and get him before 50. Ten rookies aren't making this team. I think Dallas will use some of that ammo to get guys they want in the 1st 3 rounds. But, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time).

skinsscalper

Reaction score
You're going to try and say that this team right now has more talent than the team in 2016? You doing a bit?
Serious question, 444. Where are we weaker? Other than Leary I really don't see it but I'm open to hear your honest assessment.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I agree but it would not surprise me either if the Boys use one of those comp picks (maybe both) in the 4th move up and get him before 50. Ten rookies aren't making this team. I think Dallas will use some of that ammo to get guys they want in the 1st 3 rounds. But, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time).
Good luck finding a team willing to take a 4th to move up to the top of the 2nd round.

Sydla

Reaction score
Preach.

That is true. Despite the masses believing otherwise.

Patience in Dallas has resulted in some truly bad FA signings.

It’s like people have Rip Van Winkle’d for a few years.

Every year it’s the same mantra - Patience! Glad the FO has it! Good deals can be had!

And yet every year it’s pretty much slop that ends up on the team with a small number of exceptions.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wonder if all the people running around here shrieking "The sky is falling" ever stopped to think that the Cowboys may have to see how the dust settles a little bit before acting.

Given the fact they have a limited budget, wouldn't it be smart to see who they're losing so they don't fill holes unnecessarily and, in doing so, spend the money they need to fill the real holes in their roster?

They know who they are losing. They know their holes.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Good luck finding a team willing to take a 4th to move up to the top of the 2nd round.
Like I said, my friend, it may take both. If it's a guy we covet that much, I'd be o.k. with the price.

The draft is a weird place. Some teams gets hosed. Others do the hosing but I could see a scenario with Hernandez dropping to the 35-40 range and the Cowboys jumping up to get him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Like I said, my friend, it may take both. If it's a guy we covet that much, I'd be o.k. with the price.

The draft is a weird place. Some teams gets hosed. Others do the hosing but I could see a scenario with Hernandez dropping to the 35-40 range and the Cowboys jumping up to get him.
If you believe the trade value charts, it would take both to move up around ten spots.

Then you have to find the team that is just so disgusted by what is there at 40 they would bail.

It is not likely at all.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
If you believe the trade value charts, it would take both to move up around ten spots.

Then you have to find the team that is just so disgusted by what is there at 40 they would bail.

It is not likely at all.
Maybe not likely but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. We've ALL see weird **** go down on draft day, bro. Sometimes the allure of more picks outweighs where a team currently sits. May the team draft doesn't value that guard as much as we do. An extra couple of picks in the 4th start to sound pretty solid. Who knows what's going to happen but the Cowboys have the trade ammo to make a move for a guy they like. I think that's agreeable, no?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couple points:

1. Eagles are not having a meltdown in 2020. There are still a couple major contracts they have not even had to restructure. They will be fine at least until 2022. At which point, if they have a meltdown for a couple years, they will reload with high draft picks. The only player they may have trouble in 2020 with is their LT, but they already won the SB without him unfortunately.
2. The Cowboys could have played the same games last year with expenditures, but they chose not to. So we are where we are now.
3. That was not a fair comp between Irving and Crawford. Irving #s are ascending and he did not play in many games last year. So his potential is much higher.
Next 3 years combined cap space:
Cowboys 210M
Eagles 63M

It's going to be really tight for the Eagles next season. Restructuring does not change the 63M number.

It was worth it because they won the Super Bowl and they'll be able to go for it again this season; however, they will have to dump players next year.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Next 3 years combined cap space:
Cowboys 210M
Eagles 63M

It's going to be really tight for the Eagles next season. Restructuring does not change the 63M number.

It was worth it because they won the Super Bowl and they'll be able to go for it again this season; however, they will have to dump players next year.

They have a complete team, so they just have to be able to sustain the spending for 2018 and 2020. They have to do some restructuring in 2019, but there are at least 3 big contracts that are available.
If you look at 2020, they have almost $30M of cap space right now. Assuming some restructuring in 2019, let's say they have $20M of cap space for 2020.
The major contracts for them in 2020 is Wentz and their LT.
Lets look at a 5 year $35M AAV contract and $75M signing bonus.
year--Year 1---Year 2---Year 3---Year 4---Year 5
base----$1M----$25M---$25M----$25M----$25M
bonus--$15M---$15M---$15M----$15M----$15M
cap hit--$16M---$40M---$40M---$40M----$40M

So Wentz's 2020 cap hit is $16M - no problem to fit his contract and even the LT contract in 2020. THAT IS BEFORE ANY RESTRUCTURING

In 2021, if you need space, you then restructure again to give him a restructuring bonus of $20M that will be split 4x to $5M/yr. Then his 2021 cap hit would be $15M+$1M+$5M = $21M. That is still manageable.

So we are now into 2022, and you can keep playing this game.

You will have to play the piper sooner or later, but that could well be 2023 or later.
At that point, who cares.

And as I have advocated, have a year or 2 of tanking, and you just reloaded with young talent players all timed with the cap explosion that will come much later.

Last edited: