News: 10 Worst NFC East contracts

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of special note is Stephen Jones’ handling of this team’s contract negotiations. At every turn, they have been botched.
  1. He drug his feet on a Lawrence deal until after the market exploded for pass rushers and Mack and Donald reset the market
  2. He caved in to a running back two years before he had to. And now we’re stuck fri the next two years.
  3. He stalled Dak along while the quarterback market went up and up and up. And then paying him at the top of the league. Couldn’t think of paying him when the going rate was $25 mil per year. But 40? Yeah sign us up!
Any other team in the league would fire the guy doing such a poor job. But when your last name is the same as the owner, there’s nothing to fear.
So, you're saying the FO contributed to these contracts? How bizarre! JK, of course.

The three highest paid positions are QB, DE an LT and, in any one year, the most recent contract sets the benchmark. So, I am not surprised Dak is on the list. Had DLaw lived up to his pre-contract performance, it wouldn't appear so out-of-the norm.

The one contract that was out-of-whack at the time and continues to be so to this day is Zeke's. There was no excuse for that contract even if Zeke lead the league in rushing each year. Running backs are are fungible asset

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Dak should not be on the list. He hasn’t been giving enough time to be average after he signed. So by mid season he’ll rightfully belong on the list. And no bad contract list is complete without Jaylon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, you're saying the FO contributed to these contracts? How bizarre! JK, of course.

The three highest paid positions are QB, DE an LT and, in any one year, the most recent contract sets the benchmark. So, I am not surprised Dak is on the list. Had DLaw lived up to his pre-contract performance, it wouldn't appear so out-of-the norm.

Timing has been the biggest issue in my view. They waited on Lawrence's extension until the time when pass rusher contracts exploded. And they ended up paying much more.

They caved in to Zeke's demands despite all evidence showing it to be a bad decision, in a market that continued to rise, and two years before they had to. Mistake after mistake after mistake.

And then they went cheap on Dak as long as they could while the QB market went from $25 million a year to $40 million a year. Only then did they do a deal. At the top end of the market.

Failure after failure after failure. But keep smiling Little Enos!

The one contract that was out-of-whack at the time and continues to be so to this day is Zeke's. There was no excuse for that contract even if Zeke lead the league in rushing each year. Running backs are are fungible asset

And the league has given numerous examples of why second contracts for running backs always end badly. But what did the Cowboys do? They set the market and got locked into one anyway. Because, again, the people responsible have no accountability when everything they touch goes wrong.

To be honest, the whole big investments in offensive line and running back thing has been a disaster. The return on investment has never been there, and never will be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Do you think because Dak has been paid as the 2nd highest paid QB ever that his skills will magically be that of the 2nd best QB ever? As if he is somehow in a lab being upgraded from the basic model to the premium model?

What does him playing under a new deal have to do with anything? Dak has proven so far that he is not worth that contract and that's the point of the article. I like Dak and I wanted him to sign, but absolutely nobody in their right mind thinks he's worth that contract. This team is clearly worse when we start trying to be pass first. Daks best years was his first 3 when Zeke was carrying the offense and Dak was playing game manager. That's when we went 13-3, 9-7, and 10-6.

If Dak played for Jacksonville and put up the exact same numbers there as he did in Dallas he would not have been offered that type of money. Dak is Kirk Cousins without the proven consistency of Cousins. Cousins every year will give you around 3,400 yards, around 30 TDs, and around 10 INTS. Dak has had ONE season so far like that. Do you believe Kirk is worth the money Dak was paid?
I’m
Not trying to read none of this you posting...you’ve said it time and time again. I’m not gonna argue about Dak because we’ve done that.

If he goes out there and has 40 touchdowns and 10 touchdowns and the Cowboys are 14-3 then what? He’s not worth it? Please.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was a good article in my opinion. Decent read. I thought it was fair.

Two other tidbits from links there were interesting. One was that the Eagles were trying to trade up for Surtain or a QB. Strange because they could have kept their pick at 6. Also, they passed on Fields. I guess they think Not much difference between Fields and Hurts.

The other was from someone at Alabama who said Riggs was the speed guy, Jeudy the route runner, and Smith the one with the best hands.
The fact that they have Dak at 10 before even playing a snap just killed any sort of reason for me to even read it.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
40 million a year for Prescott seals our doom for the next few years

1 whole playoff win in 5 years......let that sink in
Yeah i get it for now. I sounds crazy but, if he take us to the other side we have to revisit. For now, you are right.

dckid

Reaction score

Not worried about the playoff win as look at our history. I think the problem is our FO has not been a leader. They just follow the trend they see in the league.
They got lucky getting Dak, they had the best contract in the league for 5 years including his tag year. We saw the failed experiment of overpaying average to good QB's.
Goff, Wentz, Flacco, Cousins... the list goes on and on.
Smart teams know when to walk away. The right thing to do was trade Dak, even if we could only get a first round pick. The 100% obvious factual reason why it didnt happen was that Jerry is afraid of going 3-13. He just doesn't want to bottom out. Even this year we could have gotten Fields or Jones. I mean we reset the QB cap position, save 40 million in cap space. Dak will not take us to a SB, but we will also not go 3-13. Jerry's happy place is 7-10 wins. All your rose colored glasses folks will disagree but its the truth.
Every owner has to spend a floor amount. Jerry knows he has to pay a set amount of salary. Paying Dak, Amari, etc, etc doesn't matter. He is profitable and the value of the franchise has gone from 150 millions to 6 billion. Every team spends money. It's just 0's and 1's.
Owners don't see unless they do something stupid.
Our Front office likes the status quo. They will never be the team that goes all out, or tears it down. It is not in their plan.
When they come into the office to talk about team building. SB is not even on the agenda. It's more like how an we just stay relevant.

The opposite end of the spectrum is the Rams. They had the two worst contracts in recent history. Gurley and Goff. They got out of both and are still competing. They will be in the final four in my opinion.
They don't care about salary cap or overpaying because they have the ultimate confidence that they will be competing for a SB.
Our FO does not have that level of guts because they know, our coaching staff and talent don't measure up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It really isn't. A deal doesn't make a player better. Dak is a good quarterback, but he got paid like he's Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes. That's why he's on the list. If you bought a Chevy Camaro for 100k you'd be on the dopey list too.
It’s not the deal that would make Dak better it’s the fact that he actually has a much better head coach than he did previously. If you are comparing Dak to purchasing a Chevy Camero then that’s what the real dope is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The big hole in your theory is that dak was getting paid around 1 million per year for 4 of those years. So obviously his salary wasn’t the issue.

Then in the 5th year he got hurt so you can’t blame him there either.

Let that sink in! :yourock:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
At least a year for what? He's been here 5.

Do I need to give it another year for any other players entering year 6?

I think he sucks. I thought he sucked in college and nothing's changed in the NFL. That opinion seems to really bother you. While your opinion on him doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Who's the little girl again?

Did you cry when dak resigned? It’s been tough on you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-wors...on-wentz-dak-prescott-ezekiel-elliott-058882/

We have some fat ones on there.

The Zeke one is downright embarrassing.

you as a fan are embarrassing !!

Zekes alleged down year was last year,

he was still ranked 12th overall RB in the league with NO OL, No qb, player from behind means not much chance to establish the run, and OC that doesnt game plan well for the run packages , ALL FACTS..he still managed 4 YPC which ranks for about HALF of Emmitt's career yearly averages. Go check many 4 and just under 4YPC YEARLY AVGs. for the great 22..check your history before you insult player with no real reason.to say embarrassing is an embarrassment to yourself..

so lets calm down on zekes demise up until 2020 hes was still top rb in the league..

the haters waiting for year like 2020 in which really the entire team sucked to jump further on Zeke is just a bad fan narrative.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m
Not trying to read none of this you posting...you’ve said it time and time again. I’m not gonna argue about Dak because we’ve done that.

If he goes out there and has 40 touchdowns and 10 touchdowns and the Cowboys are 14-3 then what? He’s not worth it? Please.
He would still need post season success for me to be completely satisfied with it, but 14-3 would mean I at least had a lot of fun weeks throughout the season. I hope that if we go 14-3 that the success would carry over into the post season, unlike past years, if Dak can lead the team to that then they can pay him whatever he wants.

Wins are what matters to me most, not pretty stats.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah it’s moronic to even put Dak on there when he hasn’t even played a snap under the deal smh.
Paying any qb 40 million is just dumb. Don’t care if it’s mahomes. Guy loses two starting lineman and he turns into andy dalton and can’t score a Td in the biggest stage there is.

Qb’s need great players around them like everyone else. It’s an insult to the rest of the team to give a qb some 15-30% of the cap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
you as a fan are embarrassing !!

Zekes alleged down year was last year,

he was still ranked 12th overall RB in the league with NO OL, No qb, player from behind means not much chance to establish the run, and OC that doesnt game plan well for the run packages , ALL FACTS..he still managed 4 YPC which ranks for about HALF of Emmitt's career yearly averages. Go check many 4 and just under 4YPC YEARLY AVGs. for the great 22..check your history before you insult player with no real reason.to say embarrassing is an embarrassment to yourself..

so lets calm down on zekes demise up until 2020 hes was still top rb in the league..

the haters waiting for year like 2020 in which really the entire team sucked to jump further on Zeke is just a bad fan narrative.
Ranked 12th in what?

phildadon86

Reaction score
The big hole in your theory is that dak was getting paid around 1 million per year for 4 of those years. So obviously his salary wasn’t the issue.

Then in the 5th year he got hurt so you can’t blame him there either.

Let that sink in! :yourock:
This is the same guy that was celebrating the guys broken ankle. You arent going to get far with him lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is the same guy that was celebrating the guys broken ankle. You arent going to get far with him lol

I hear ya.

Its just too easy to discount those dumb comments with facts and I cant help myself.