105.3 speculating there was a scheme change prior to last week

Roland

Reaction score
JG's input? What a non-nonsense. We didn't send the TEs on deep seam routes much at all when JG was calling the plays and Romo was the QB.

If anything happened, Dak probably said screw this crappy offense, I'm just going to do my own thing.
I disagree here, the seam route with Witten was a staple. I recall quite a few td's with this exact play. The problem was towards the end of Wittens career, they seemed to rely more on the option route the he excelled at.

Zman5

Reaction score
I disagree here, the seam route with Witten was a staple. I recall quite a few td's with this exact play. The problem was towards the end of Wittens career, they seemed to rely more on the option route the he excelled at.

Go watch games around 2012. Deep seam to Witten wasn't a staple. They run if few times a year but it was far from staple. Y-option was Witts staple route.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hope someone listened to more of it but yesterday at noon the GBag show said there’s whispers that Linehan didn’t put the whole game plan together last week like he had been

This morning Skin said there may have been a scheme change.

Found this interesting. Is Garrett doing more in the game plan side or would this be Sanjay?

I think in a tweet Broadus said he specifically asked Garrett if he had made up the game plan, and Garrett said no. Interesting thought that Sanjay might have made it up instead.

Here's the tweet.

But somewhere else, I'm sure that someone said there was a scheme change. That they took the game as an opportunity to try new things with Dak.

Last edited:

silvrNblue

Reaction score
We need to put those legs to use because the arm is average at best.
I agree with the legs part, but average? really....
2018 stats: 16 games | 67.7 pct | 3,885 pass yds | 7.4 ypa | 22 pass TD | 8 INT | 305 rush yds | 6 rush TD

dogberry

Reaction score
What route was Witten running on his TD against the Giants last year?

Haimerej

Reaction score
but the interesting thing I got from the Cam video was that he was never taught the importance of footwork and how it relates to anticipation throw opportunities.

Never taught? Are we to assume everything any QB struggles with is because it wasn't taught to them?

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Which would be amazing to think about, given that this scheme has had us in the top 5-10 in terms of offensive production for several years under Garrett.

Unfortunately it's dropped this year. 22nd in both scoring and total net yards. Not sure what happened. A lot of this could be contributed to a slow start.

Ken

Reaction score
Never taught? Are we to assume everything any QB struggles with is because it wasn't taught to them?
I am just repeating what Cam Cameron said was told to him by the people Dak is training with now. Cam said he could totally see that from Miss. St.

It isn't far fetched at all that he wouldn't learn that detail in HS either.

It is evident he didn't learn it as it has been pointed out a ton on this forum and it is also evident that he is improving at it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I am just repeating what Cam Cameron said was told to him by the people Dak is training with now. Cam said he could totally see that from Miss. St.

It isn't far fetched at all that he wouldn't learn that detail in HS either.

It is evident he didn't learn it as it has been pointed out a ton on this forum and it is also evident that he is improving at it.

That's incredible that he wasn't taught the basic reasons behind the 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drops.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately it's dropped this year. 22nd in both scoring and total net yards. Not sure what happened. A lot of this could be contributed to a slow start.

Well, we’re not as good as we were with the OL and Dez and Wit in their prime. Especially with the pass protection issues. But the issue isn’t scheme. The scheme has proven to be effective.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan has been the OC here for 4 years and has had a Top 10 offense (in terms of pts scored) once in that time.

I always measure in terms of point/series since it’s not reasonable to expect the offense to score on series where they don’t have the ball, right?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It will be very hard to tell....they are very similar in scheme and incompetence.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Well, we’re not as good as we were with the OL and Dez and Wit in their prime. Especially with the pass protection issues. But the issue isn’t scheme. The scheme has proven to be effective.

Very true. Jarwin was on the practice squad most of last year and only appeared in one game, plus we added a 4th round rookie. Cooper wasn't acquired until after week 7. The loss of Freddy was unexpected. If we can get Tyron healthy and fix the rest we will be fine.

sbark

Reaction score
One thing that is completely obvious if you watch Cowboys is the number of seam routes that were called. Pretty much had been avoided all season and then against the Giants, the seam was exploited big time.
I wonder if C.Rush didn't influence the game plan, his seam route to Rico was the last time weve seen it in a game or preseason

visionary

Reaction score
Hope someone listened to more of it but yesterday at noon the GBag show said there’s whispers that Linehan didn’t put the whole game plan together last week like he had been

This morning Skin said there may have been a scheme change.

Found this interesting. Is Garrett doing more in the game plan side or would this be Sanjay?

Yes
One week where we score points the credit should go to anyone EXCEPT the OC

Never gets old with Garrett homies

morat1959

Reaction score
I dunno but Dak hadn’t broke the pocket that many times in a game in awhile and he was a different player for our offense because of it.

We need to put those legs to use because the arm is average at best.
Nail on the head!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Why don't you ever talk about the crap supporting cast that Dak had for much of the season?

OL in shambles
No WR for much of the season
No TE

Of course dak was awful for big portions of the season..but he also didn't have much help...

It's not a coincidence the moment he got a legit wr, his play improved
And now a legit TE.

The missing pieces are now there.

Let's go.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Broaddus specifically asked Garrett the other day if he was more involved in the game planning..Garrett said no

Not that Garrett was being honest..but it is worth mentioning
I don't believe that.

Garrett is the type of guy who will pump his coaches before himself.

Garrett NEVER pumps himself.

He accepts blame when it bad..

but deflects praise back to everybody else.

Like it not..

believe it or not..

it's part of the reason they play well for him.

He does not need to get the praise like a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells.

Many think he is just uninspiring.

But that is obviously wrong on our part.