105.3 speculating there was a scheme change prior to last week

JGRXXN

Reaction score
Since the first few weeks of the season I have been clamoring for seam routes up the middle of the field. I made the comparison to SEA and how we see Baldwin and their TEs getting vertical in the middle of the field. Which makes the Ss have to respect the deep middle and not always creep up against the run and the flat passes. Week 17 was the first time I can remember, even when Witten was here in the last few years, that we saw a TE streaking up the seam. And look what happened. Hopefully a staple of the offense going forward.

Saints does this very well

Doomsday77

Reaction score
I don't know where he'll go, but he's just too good an interview with an outstanding resume. he'll make a great first impression on someone. hate to see Richard go, but odds favor his departure. wish it wasn't so.
Did I miss something? I am pretty sure he wasn't with us in 2016 and I think we did pretty well without him. Next man up!

JGRXXN

Reaction score
Which would be amazing to think about, given that this scheme has had us in the top 5-10 in terms of offensive production for several years under Garrett.

Thats amazing bc we never ever been to a NFC Championship game with this Scheme... Ever and its been 10+ years guy

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats amazing bc we never ever been to a NFC Championship game with this Scheme... Ever and its been 10+ years guy

True. I feel like maybe we’re missing something in this thorough analysis of ours though. Don’t you?

Oh, wait! We’re missing the fact that our defense and special teams also exist.

Dre11

Reaction score

Lol, it's pretty much the same philosophies as the 90's scheme, with some spice added to it. So we got 3 Super Bowls out of it.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
To see if it would actually work against a team that knows Dallas.... why would u go into a playoff game using new tactics not knowing if they would work...
I would probably say it was more to see if Jarwin could execute the plays rather than if they would work. Those plays were vintage 2016 with Witten operating down the seam and Beasley abusing guys from the slot.

Roland

Reaction score
See I disagree. As the Cam Cameron video that is posted somewhere on this site talks about...he is growing as a qb before our eyes. The anticipation throws that we see more and more from him are starting to come. His footwork is getting better.

All of these things are normal things qbs progress at but the interesting thing I got from the Cam video was that he was never taught the importance of footwork and how it relates to anticipation throw opportunities. If the footwork isn't right, the windows aren't as obvious and it throws the whole thing off. How we got to this point in his 3rd year and this wasn't addressed earlier, i have no idea. You can see that his confidence in throwing the ball is soaring. This only bodes well for us going forward.

So while i agree...his legs take him to another level, I think he still has a lot of growth from the pocket that still is yet to come.
I believe someone also mentioned that it appears that Dak may have been encouraged to change up his read patterns (left to right, rt to left, out then in, in then out, whatever) I am not sure if that is true or not but he definitely seemed to be taking those shots up the seams which we have not really seen a lot of. We know he can hit the dump offs, outs and the curls, we have seen him take shots on the sluggo routes and now it seems he has added the seam routes to his repertoire (sp). Wasnt everyone complaining about the lack of shots taken in the middle of the field on all those shot charts? I believe this man is still learning and growing right before our eyes. I loved that they emphasized this last Sunday. Gives DC another thing to worry about

Reactions: Ken

Roland

Reaction score
I would probably say it was more to see if Jarwin could execute the plays rather than if they would work. Those plays were vintage 2016 with Witten operating down the seam and Beasley abusing guys from the slot.
Excatly. I kept worrying that Dak was going to overthrow it right to a defender but he was snatching them balls out of the air. A lot of people hated on Witten towards the end but he was darn good on those seam routes. I like seeing that chemistry again. It should work with Seattle as well

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Which would be amazing to think about, given that this scheme has had us in the top 5-10 in terms of offensive production for several years under Garrett.

Linehan has been the OC here for 4 years and has had a Top 10 offense (in terms of pts scored) once in that time.

Zman5

Reaction score
JG's input? What a non-nonsense. We didn't send the TEs on deep seam routes much at all when JG was calling the plays and Romo was the QB.

If anything happened, Dak probably said screw this crappy offense, I'm just going to do my own thing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the game plan wouldn't be part of the scheme?

No. The game plan is the decision on what the team can do within the scheme that is the best combination of (a) what the team does well, and (b) what the opponent would be vulnerable too. Running a different play than we have seen recently doesn't mean the scheme is different, it just means different plays within the scheme and playbook are being utilized.

Gaede

Reaction score
This rumor seems like one of those things that fans start taking as gospel, though it's completely unfounded and, imo, ridiculous

Roland

Reaction score
I would argue that would be due more to our defensive woes in the past rather than our offense.