Video: 105.3 The Fan | Ross Tucker Defends Disrespectful McCarthy Rankings

blueblood70

Reaction score
Green Bay went to the playoffs nine out of McCarthy's first 11 years (before injuries to Rodgers brought an end to McCarthy's time with the Packers). His teams made it to four NFC title games and won a Super Bowl.

Payton's teams had nine playoff appearances in his first 14 years, three NFC title games and a Super Bowl.

Both coaches had Hall of Fame QBs.

Seems pretty even to me, if not a little in favor of McCarthy. Until those last couple of years (again when Rodgers was either sidelined by injury or tried to play through them), McCarthy was considered one of the top coaches in the game. Rodgers slamming him when McCarthy was trying to compensate for Rodgers' injuries didn't help his reputation.
:hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
This list is hilariously bad.

McCarthy has an over 500 record in the playoffs and in regular season. He has won a SB.
Neither he nor Rodgers have won a SB apart. Yet AR still goes down as an all-time great but the coach somehow is a bum?

Anthony Lynn?? Huh? What a goofy choice. He has had 1 job, minus an interim game, and took over as Philip Rovers was ancient then they drafted a rookie QB.
He is still over 500 and is 500 in the playoffs given those things.

I don't even like the Harbaughs but they both had lots of success in the NFL.

I don't think you have any idea what underachieving as a head coach looks like.

Even as painfully bad as the Campo years were what was he supposed to do with that roster as Lacewell and Jerry couldn't draft and they had all their cap tied up in 30+ year olds?
Campo was a poor coach with a poor roster that is anything won too much. A few late season wins crushed the draft slots.
agree list is out of line..no real context.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been sniffing to many jock straps. The fumes have affected his reasoning.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ross is an idiot.
As is anyone who ranks Rivera over McCarthy.
Criterion matters zero in that debate.

RR has been above .500 only 3 times in 12 seasons.
That means he has played weakened 3rd and 4th place schedules plenty and still not taken advantage.
He has been in place many seasons in a row with a chance to build a team.

Guy got his start out of Jimmy's tree, working for Wanny and Norv Turner.
Then he further honed his defensive cred sunder Lovie Smith, and to top all that off he worked for Andy Reid.

With that tutelage to suck as bad as he has is just embarassing.
I will go even further Arthur Smith? this is a laughable list and he is just shock reporting like the rest to get discussion.

mfiggs18

Reaction score
The only difference between these coaches is one had to deal with a drama queen at QB and the other didn't.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Green Bay went to the playoffs nine out of McCarthy's first 11 years (before injuries to Rodgers brought an end to McCarthy's time with the Packers). His teams made it to four NFC title games and won a Super Bowl.

Payton's teams had nine playoff appearances in his first 14 years, three NFC title games and a Super Bowl.

Both coaches had Hall of Fame QBs.

Seems pretty even to me, if not a little in favor of McCarthy. Until those last couple of years (again when Rodgers was either sidelined by injury or tried to play through them), McCarthy was considered one of the top coaches in the game. Rodgers slamming him when McCarthy was trying to compensate for Rodgers' injuries didn't help his reputation.
Payton also bailed after he no longer had Brees and created cap hell with the Saints. Rodgers may have had back to back MVP seasons post MM, but they failed badly as #1 seeds.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ross is an idiot.
As is anyone who ranks Rivera over McCarthy.
Criterion matters zero in that debate.

RR has been above .500 only 3 times in 12 seasons.
That means he has played weakened 3rd and 4th place schedules plenty and still not taken advantage.
He has been in place many seasons in a row with a chance to build a team.

Guy got his start out of Jimmy's tree, working for Wanny and Norv Turner.
Then he further honed his defensive cred sunder Lovie Smith, and to top all that off he worked for Andy Reid.

With that tutelage to suck as bad as he has is just embarassing.
Garrett fooled me for a while because of "similar" success. We'd have years like 2014 and 2016 that would make Garrett look like he could really be a competent head coach, but they would come after down seasons so we were playing an easier schedule. I should have figured out Garrett's coaching level long before I did.

That's why I've changed my standard for a coach. If they show improved success in the playoffs over the first three years, then they should get a fourth year. If they don't make it to the Super Bowl in five years, then you should give someone else a shot. For what it's worth, both McCarthy and Payton won Super Bowls within their first five years as head coach and most of the other coaches who have in the salary cap era have done the same.

I don't really care where Ross Tucker or any other talking head ranks McCarthy. I just care about success. If the playoff success doesn't progress, then move on. If no Super Bowl appearance in the first five years, then move on.

plasticman

Reaction score
Its’s a tough pill to swallow but based on McCarthy’s Career success with the talent available, 21st is appropriate
So what makes a team "talented"? Were they awarded a bunch of extra 1st round picks that no other team had?

Doesn't somebody like a HC, have to train them to be a cohesive team, construct gameplans, decide which players are good for for their style of play, and keep the team focused?

Doesn't somebody have to make those critical gametime decisions, make halftime adjustments, and manage the coaching staff?

Again, I could have constructed a better list by picking their names out of a hat.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The only SB that AR won was when MM was his coach. Don't know why he doesn't get respect for that.

Big_D

Reaction score
This list is hilariously bad.

McCarthy has an over 500 record in the playoffs and in regular season. He has won a SB.
Neither he nor Rodgers have won a SB apart. Yet AR still goes down as an all-time great but the coach somehow is a bum?

Anthony Lynn?? Huh? What a goofy choice. He has had 1 job, minus an interim game, and took over as Philip Rovers was ancient then they drafted a rookie QB.
He is still over 500 and is 500 in the playoffs given those things.

I don't even like the Harbaughs but they both had lots of success in the NFL.

I don't think you have any idea what underachieving as a head coach looks like.

Even as painfully bad as the Campo years were what was he supposed to do with that roster as Lacewell and Jerry couldn't draft and they had all their cap tied up in 30+ year olds?
Campo was a poor coach with a poor roster that is anything won too much. A few late season wins crushed the draft slots.
Agreed. Somehow it’s a knock to have a great QB but only in McCarthys case. It’s truly ridiculous!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed. Somehow it’s a knock to have a great QB but only in McCarthys case. It’s truly ridiculous!
MM won a lot of games last year with a QB no one really wanted in free agency even after the wins, Cooper Rush.
So the most recent data laughs at the overall statement.

Dallas is far better coached now they then were for the decade prior to MM being hired.
The methodology nonsense was just carte blanche to push personal bias onto coaches.

Ross is an Ivy Leaguer but he is also a northeastern guy that doesn't like the Cowboys.
He does Eagles pre-season games and both started and ended his NFL career in WAS.

robjay04

Reaction score
Dude Payton re-invented Brees and the Saints. Saints lost a heartbreaker in 2017 and robbed in 2018.

Tuckers rankings are based on McCarthy having Favre and Rodgers and only winning One Super Bowl….I blame cheap Packer owners :facepalm:
Payton had three 7-9 seasons in a row to get to that point. He would have never made it to 2017 or 2018 if he was in Dallas or Green Bay for that matter

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah none of that matters jack squat in why you rank two coaches with identical resumes on opposite ends of the ranking.

Tucker is a biased moron.
I have always been a Payton fan and would have enjoyed seeing him coaching the Cowboys, but I agree with you and I think most people are missing the point you are making.

You were not debating "who is better" between Payton and McCarthy, but rather that based on their career results so far, their success has been somewhat similar.

There is no reason or logic supporting ranking one of them (either one of them) 17 positions ahead of the other.

In time, it may work out that one is that much better than the other, but at this point, based on actual success results, it is just not realistic.

Kwyn

Reaction score
GOAT underchievers:
MM by a mile
Both Harbaughs
Jon Gruden
Todd Boles
Dave Campo
Mike Zimmer
Leslie Frazier
Anthony Lynn
Sean McDermott
Hugh Jackson
Mahomes removed Reid from the list
How about Payton?

Big_D

Reaction score
Legit tree, legit resume, legit playoff record but somehow not good enough to replace a guy with none of those things.
MM won a lot of games last year with a QB no one really wanted in free agency even after the wins, Cooper Rush.
So the most recent data laughs at the overall statement.

Dallas is far better coached now they then were for the decade prior to MM being hired.
The methodology nonsense was just carte blanche to push personal bias onto coaches.

Ross is an Ivy Leaguer but he is also a northeastern guy that doesn't like the Cowboys.
He does Eagles pre-season games and both started and ended his NFL career in WAS.

I don't put much stock in these rankings anyway! Just something to pass the time until the games start. Just seems odd that everyone loves to crap all over McCarthy while crediting anyone else. Moore, McClay, Quinn, etc. Even Jerry. If Ross is an ivy leaguer, then he's smart enough to know how to create drama and clicks. That's all this is.