Video: 105.3 The Fan | Ross Tucker Defends Disrespectful McCarthy Rankings

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Green Bay also had a cupcake division for Mccarthy’s entire tenure. Who was the second best QB over that span? Stafford who won 0 playoff games? People talk about the AFC East in the Brady era, but the NFC North in the Rodgers era was just as inept. The Vikings made a fluke NFCCG in 2017 and were occasional wild card round participants outside of that. Mike Mccarthy’s 2018 season is what allowed Mitch Trubisky of all people to win the North.

The Packers had a free ride nearly every year. Then consider The NFC South had all 4 teams play in super bowls during Payton’s time. 2 MVP winning QBs in his division. Carolina and TB had made additional SBs right before he got there. New Orleans was not the divisional favorite many of his seasons.
Look, I’m not sitting here defending McCarthy… others can do that. I’m just saying that the big jump in wins with LaFleur was certainly affected by the big influx of free agents that the New GM brought in.

That is all I’m saying. Well… that and that it was indeed time for a new coach in GB.

That is why I only quoted that one point you made.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think up until 2016 their résumés were close. What happened at the end of GB was ugly, and Payton went out on an high note in NO. and then that after I don’t think Dallas is helping Mike’s case.

Remember Jason Garrett went 12-4 in 2014. Had a lost year in 2015 and then went 13-3 in 2016. After that he had 9-7, 10-6, 8-8. Those were considered bad years for how talented the roster was. Garrett was fired despite not having a losing record in 4 years because of how much the team was underachieveing.

Mike comes in in 2020 and has a lost year. Then he goes 12-5. This was what everyone expected that Dallas was supposed to be, he met expectations on a talented team. Then you lost that SF game at home. What happened in 2021 and 2022 in the playoffs were probably under achieving for what what the expectations with your roster.

I think most people here feel Dallas isn’t as far behind Philadelphia in total talent as the media portrays, but why was there a gap when comparing the 2021-2022 Cowboys and the 2022 Eagles? Is that not on the coaches to properly utilize the talent? 21 may be a tad low for McCarthy, but what has he done to deserve better recently? He won 12 games with a top 5 roster and a pair of quick playoff exits. Payton made the playoffs when Brees missed a ton of time in 2019 and 2020; McCarthy’s Packers team quit on him in 2018 and everyone accepted he couldn’t right the ship when Dak when down in 2020. He does present the appearance of someone who is somewhat limited in that department.
Thing did get ugly towards the end at Green Bay.

Though sometimes a coach and a team just need a change of scenery. Look at Andy Reid and how things ended with the eagles.

I’m not arguing Big Mike is as good as Reid. Reid is the better coach. But I think the concept is the same in regards to coaches and teams needing a change of scenery sometimes.

Mike has done very well here in Dallas. So far.

A lot will be answered in the next couple of years with mike in Dallas and Payton in Denver.

I still think the discrepancy where they are listed is unfair to Mike though.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Thing did get ugly towards the end at Green Bay.

Though sometimes a coach and a team just need a change of scenery. Look at Andy Reid and how things ended with the eagles.

I’m not arguing Big Mike is as good as Reid. Reid is the better coach. But I think the concept is the same in regards to coaches and teams needing a change of scenery sometimes.

Mike has done very well here in Dallas. So far.

A lot will be answered in the next couple of years with mike in Dallas and Payton in Denver.

I still think the discrepancy where they are listed is unfair to Mike though.
what do you believe is Mccarthy’s best achievement so far in Dallas?

HungryLion

Reaction score
They’ve made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and the only year they didn’t was when their starting QB was hurt early in the season.

They win 12 games, two years in a row which isn’t nothing to sniff at.

They’ve been good. Yes they still need to get over the hump but he has done a very good job so far in Dallas. IMO. Especially considering out FO dysfunction.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Not being Jason Garrett.

Something's got to give soon for this team. It is too good right now to not be making it to the final 4 (conference title games).

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They’ve made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and the only year they didn’t was when their starting QB was hurt early in the season.

They win 12 games, two years in a row which isn’t nothing to sniff at.

They’ve been good. Yes they still need to get over the hump but he has done a very good job so far in Dallas. IMO. Especially considering out FO dysfunction.
Right. But how much of it was expected with at least bottom level competency at coaching (why Garrett was fired despite non losing seasons), and how much of it was McCarthy pulling an inferiorly talented team across the finish line? In the context of the ranking, the ‘how’ is more important than the ‘what.’

In 2021 they won a division where the second place team won 9 games, and promptly lost their first playoff game. In 2022 they made it in as a wild card team when the wild card floor was 9 wins, and then beat an 8-10 team.

So for the rankings, the question is who couldn’t have replicated or exceeded that, and why? Does Dallas not have a franchise QB, a talented roster, a top d coordinator, many pro bowlers on offense? In the last 3 seasons, what top 10 ranked roster did the least with it? It’s probably between Dallas and the Chargers.

So you go down the list of coaches, and Ross Tucker feels at least 20 guys could have done as much or better with what McCarthy was given. He even puts McDermott lower than McCarthy in this context. McDermott has had the most talented roster in football the last few years, and their finishes have slowly gotten worse and worse.

Qcard

Reaction score
Drew Brees suffered a serious injury. The chargers had a chance to draft Rivers and didn’t want to pass it up because nobody knew if Brees would recover from the injury.

He did.
So did Sean Payton!! Hence salvaged Brees career

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
There is no rationale that justifies Payton 4th and McCarthy 21st.

I'm not asking you. I'm telling you.

Anyone who ranks those two that far apart is either an idiot or biased.
Would you feel better if he re-ranked and kept MM at 21, but had S.P. at 22?

HungryLion

Reaction score
So did Sean Payton!! Hence salvaged Brees career
There’s just ad much evidence that Brees was always going to be a very good QB as there is Payton “reinventing” or “salvaging” him.

Period