Video: 105.3 The Fan | Ross Tucker Defends Disrespectful McCarthy Rankings

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Legit tree, legit resume, legit playoff record but somehow not good enough to replace a guy with none of those things.

I don't put much stock in these rankings anyway! Just something to pass the time until the games start. Just seems odd that everyone loves to crap all over McCarthy while crediting anyone else. Moore, McClay, Quinn, etc. Even Jerry. If Ross is an ivy leaguer, then he's smart enough to know how to create drama and clicks. That's all this is.
Anyone will get attacked for a list. And yup. Ross got a lot of attention specially for MM choice but its the quieter awful ones that make it clear it is insane bias.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
How about Payton?
Agreed he needs to be in there also. Although the saints got robbed of a couple trips in the playoffs, they still should have won more than one with Breesy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean based on the interview he’s right. It’s tough though. Do I think he could win 7 games with Atlanta last year? No. Do I think Smith could’ve won 12 games with this team? No.

I think you have to be careful using that as a gauge to create his list.

He’s using a different criteria for everyone but McCarthy.

Flamma

Reaction score
I made it to 4:15 of the video. I heard enough from him. First he's giving the Saints an extra super bowl appearance based on a bad call. Then he's saying that Big fat Mike wouldn't win 13 games with Minnesota. Did he forget that the Vikings won a miracle against Buffalo? If he's going to add a win, I can subtract a win, giving the Vikings 12, the same thing the Cowboys won 2 years in a row. And when was the last time they did that? And the most appalling comment, Brett Favre was better than Drew Brees. GOOD LORD!! During Brett's entire career with the Packers he never came back from 14 points down in the regular season. This should have happened by chance. It didn't because Favre is reckless when everything isn't perfect. Tony Romo did it in his first start.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Learned nothing for the wasted 5 minutes of my life and wasn't entertained.

I now see why people are just abrasive know nothing S Stains . Garbage in Garbage out

Stop listening to these people

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There is no rationale that justifies Payton 4th and McCarthy 21st.

I'm not asking you. I'm telling you.

Anyone who ranks those two that far apart is either an idiot or biased.
Then you obviously havent paid attention to the creative offenses and use of personnel with Payton throughout his career, with or without Brees at QB.

Would Payton have let one of the best offensive weapons like Pollard rot on the bench for 3.5 years or would he have featured him in a specific role and got the best out of him?

Would Payton have featured the horrid Zeke for the last 3 years? Not a chance.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you obviously havent paid attention to the creative offenses and use of personnel with Payton throughout his career, with or without Brees at QB.

Would Payton have let one of the best offensive weapons like Pollard rot on the bench for 3.5 years or would he have featured him in a specific role and got the best out of him?

And all of that has amounted to.....

The same level of success over their career.

On one hand you have fan nonsense. On the other you have actual results.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Which is exactly why you missed the boat on this one. So every coach that has won a SB is equal? Any coach that hasnt won a SB is worse? Little more complicated then that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
More evidence yet the media always wins. Y'all are doing exactly as this guy wanted getting all "outraged" at what some random media person said because you or yours were somehow cheated or slighted. But yes, tell us how the media is biased and shouldn't be listened to as you listen to them. Lol.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is exactly why you missed the boat on this one. So every coach that has won a SB is equal? Any coach that hasnt won a SB is worse? Little more complicated then that.
They have never identical resumes over the same time period. From wins to division titles, NFCCG appearances and Super Bowl titles.

To rank one the 4th best and the other the 21st is asinine.

This isn't a debate. You're embarrassing yourself. Even more than usual.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I think you mean 2 and a half years. Garrett was still head coach Pollard's rookie year. Also it's possible Zeke's usage is at least partially attributed to Jerry Jones.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They have never identical resumes over the same time period. From wins to division titles, NFCCG appearances and Super Bowl titles.

To rank one the 4th best and the other the 21st is asinine.

This isn't a debate. You're embarrassing yourself. Even more than usual.
The exercise is clearly too complicated for you. Payton as a play caller and offensive mind is head and shoulders better than MM ever was. MM got lucky falling onto Rogers. Payton on the other hand went out of his way to trade for Brees, who wasnt doing well in San Diego and turned him into the QB with the most passing yards in NFL history.

He then went from a pass heavy offense to a run first heavy offense once Brees left. Makes use of specialty guys like the QB Hill all while guys like Pollard rot on the bench and Zeke gets featured in the offense.

You want to argue that the gap isnt as wide, fine. But Payton is head and shoulders better than MM.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you mean 2 and a half years. Garrett was still head coach Pollard's rookie year. Also it's possible Zeke's usage is at least partially attributed to Jerry Jones.
True on both counts. None the less it was done under MM watch. He takes some of the blame. Offense is his thing.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I'm far from McCarthy's biggest fan, but counting another super bowl for Payton because of a bad call is sheer stupidity. Tucker's just trolling.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
The exercise is clearly too complicated for you. Payton as a play caller and offensive mind is head and shoulders better than MM ever was. MM got lucky falling onto Rogers. Payton on the other hand went out of his way to trade for Brees, who wasnt doing well in San Diego and turned him into the QB with the most passing yards in NFL history.

He then went from a pass heavy offense to a run first heavy offense once Brees left. Makes use of specialty guys like the QB Hill all while guys like Pollard rot on the bench and Zeke gets featured in the offense.

You want to argue that the gap isnt as wide, fine. But Payton is head and shoulders better than MM.
I wouldn't say head and shoulders for either of them. They are essentially One of the same... Payton has 15 NFL seasons as a head coach; McCarthy has 16. Payton has a record of 152-89; McCarthy is 155-97. Payton has nine playoff seasons and is one game over . 500 (9-8) in those; McCarthy has 11 playoff seasons and is one game over (11-10)...

At the end of the day, it's about the wins/losses. Arguing about how the wins/losses came about is an argument nobody is going to win. I would rather have an enema than worrying about how a win/loss record came about.

Last edited:

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Dang! I wanted to Disagree but Ross's Coaches Rank list based on his criteria makes Sense!!

Ross Tucker always has been and always will be an idiot. His opinion means nothing to me.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I wouldn't say head and shoulders for either of them. They are essentially One of the same... Payton has 15 NFL seasons as a head coach; McCarthy has 16. Payton has a record of 152-89; McCarthy is 155-97. Payton has nine playoff seasons and is one game over . 500 (9-8) in those; McCarthy has 11 playoff seasons and is one game over (11-10)...
One major difference though is Payton never allowed his team to bottom out; despite also having an all-pro caliber QB who missed more games in his final 2 seasons as HC than Rodgers did.

The Packers were bad-to-worse in
Mccarthy’s last 2 years, he earned getting canned. And then his replacement immediately won 13 games the next 3 straight years, it wasn’t a talent issue. Conversely, Payton’s replacement is driving the team into the ground immediately after Sean left winning 12 games (and 8-1 his final 2 years in games without Brees).

You can say their ceilings are comparable, their averages are comparable, but their floors are on different levels.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dude Payton re-invented Brees and the Saints. Saints lost a heartbreaker in 2017 and robbed in 2018.

Tuckers rankings are based on McCarthy having Favre and Rodgers and only winning One Super Bowl….I blame cheap Packer owners :facepalm:
Drew Brees is still the all time leader in Big Ten passing yards. Despite the fact that he played most of his time there in the 90’s with less favorable passing rules than the modern college game.

Drew Brees was the first pick of the second round

Drew Brees was a pro bowl QB in San Diego.

He wasn’t “reinvented”. Sean Payton didn’t “make him”. Drew Brees was a great QB consistently from high school, through college and his entire NFL career.

He is an all time great.

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Drew Brees is still the all time leader in Big Ten passing yards.

Drew Brees was a pro bowl QB in San Diego.

He wasn’t “reinvented”
Brees never threw for close to 4000 yards in San Diego despite having a 15 and a 16 start season. What he did there would have been considered a washed year in NO. His average net yards per attempt his final season in San Diego was in the 5’s. He only had 1 of his final 10 years in NO under 7. That’s an incredible transformation.

You can be good and still be reinvented because you were so much more afterward.