105.3thefan, Jerry Jones on now, its live

birdwells1

Reaction score
For all our criticism, Jerry Jones, to me, embodies in unadulterated form the logic of the modern NFL which makes decisions based on maximizing profit, including giving mediocre teams the appearance of "success" through expanding the playoffs to artificially whip up fan enthusiasm about their team's prospects of making "the playoffs" which is no longer the exclusive domain of the truly and consistently strong teams. Jerry isn't selling the genuine prospect of a predictably good team, as has been pointed out by several posters, but the chance of getting in and going on a run in the playoffs. He is selling us a lottery ticket instead of solid security that will likely bear interest over the long term.

Oh well, let's hope he gives us the golden ticket for once!

Preach brother.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've never been less optimistic as a fan than I am now and it's just finally hit rock bottom.

I see literally no hope for this franchise.

We seriously need a superstar like Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson in the draft to overcome all of these bad coaches and management.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I've never been less optimistic as a fan than I am now and it's just finally hit rock bottom.

We seriously need a superstar like Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson in the draft to overcome all of these bad coaches and management.

don't even that will do it.

Novacek84

Reaction score
So basically what we have and that probably needs to be clearly understood is that the contractual side (read: money) drives most if not all of Jerry Jones' decisions.

None of this "he will do whatever it takes to win". Firing coaches costs money, bottom line money that cannot be recycled or written off due to contracts being shaped the right way. Getting rid of players with huge contracts also has a price and that is where some of his perceived "loyalty" comes from. He is going to be loyal first and foremost to how much money he makes.

There is a reason why practically every head coach he has ever hired had to inherit members of the staff. He started out with a very cheap staff with Jimmy Johnson and did not pay them well. He trimmed a lot of the fat in the Cowboys organization, even down to regular employees at Valley Ranch and got even cheaper after he left.

In all honesty, Jerry Jones is a bit of a cheapskate. He had his credit cards cut up at Love Field and he did not like it.

Disagree that Jerry being cheap is the issue here. He is just determined to be right about his hand picked boy Garrett. He'd rather go 8-8 with him than possibly 11-5 with someone else. I wish it was as simple as money.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Disagree that Jerry being cheap is the issue here. He is just determined to be right about his hand picked boy Garrett. He'd rather go 8-8 with him than possibly 11-5 with someone else. I wish it was as simple as money.

Kinda agree but I also agree that Jerry wants to not pay very much for his coaches. He doesn't value coaches.

Jerry's ego though is hurting every Dallas Cowboy fan though that is without a doubt true.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I'm curious to those who listen to his show.

Do they ever let the callers blast him?

coult44

Reaction score
we wont have changes in coaching like we did last yr, changes coaching physology, change in draft and possibly in free agengy and add to what kiffin installed, and continue to develop to OL, we have chance to be better, we were working on this plan the last few weeks,[/quotethis

And folks here's another reason JJ will continue to do what he does. As long as people think like this, nothing will change!!

scottsp

Reaction score
An organization once striving for nothing short of excellence has been reduced to this. The fix seems simple enough: return to a football-first culture.

Anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time at VR is familiar with the scene of interns to the marketing arm, creative consultants, and media bustling about. It's less about the team over there, more about the brand.

To top it off, the man calling the shots here continues to take a macro view of the situation, citing the Shanahan and Schwartz firings and their records to validate his own position.

Jerry Jones, a man who openly prides himself on being cutting edge and outside the box thinker is actually neither. Not when it comes to football anyway. And while it was clear their time had eventually passed, I really do miss what we got with Tex, Gil, and Tom. And then, of course, with Jimmy. This organization was always ahead of the curve.

Seems so long ago.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An organization once striving for nothing short of excellence has been reduced to this. The fix seems simple enough: return to a football-first culture.

Anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time at VR is familiar with the scene of interns to the marketing arm, creative consultants, and media bustling about. It's less about the team over there, more about the brand.

To top it off, the man calling the shots here continues to take a macro view of the situation, citing the Shanahan and Schwartz firings and their records to validate his own position.

Jerry Jones, a man who openly prides himself on being cutting edge and outside the box thinker is actually neither. Not when it comes to football anyway. And while it was clear their time had eventually passed, I really do miss what we got with Tex, Gil, and Tom. And then, of course, with Jimmy. This organization was always ahead of the curve.

Seems so long ago.

This is a great post. Until we put the actual team first it will suffer.

venky

Reaction score

Not even the GOAT Peyton Manning could overcome this. Jerruh would want a direct line into Peyton's helmet to call the plays.

Actually, nvm, Peyton would just ignore Jerruh.

scottsp

Reaction score
This is a great post. Until we put the actual team first it will suffer.

Yes, sir.

Don't get me wrong; I am so tired of railing on the "Jerry problem." We all recognize it for what it is, and I think we understand it's here to stay. To me, few things are more nauseating than the thought of spending another offseason reading about the Joneses. And I hate contributing to this, but it's hard to touch on this team without mentioning.

If it were as simple as missing on a young player or injuries, I could completely live with it. That happens. This is something else. That said, I will do my best not to hammer away at this same ol' thing over the next eight months.

But today, it's just therapeutic. :)

mahoneybill

Reaction score
No, really? Why Mr. Jones?

Jerry Jones: "I think Jason Garrett is a much better coach than he was in 2007."

How many time left until he became an NFL coach?

At time it's not bad living in the other side of the world, at least is possible to avoid him speaking.[/quote]

Somewhere I think JJ feels he can resurrect memories of Tom Landrys early years with not being able to win the big one. To JJ at this point the big one is the division, when in reality its getting to an NFC title game.
We are still a long way from that type of Landry comparison

Zman5

Reaction score
JJ is in it for the money and nothing more.

He'll prefer going 0-16 if somehow that would make him more money than winning the SB.

NJ22

Reaction score
And Jerry Jones once again gives us fans the big one fingered salute.

This idiot makes it so hard to continue being a fan of this team. Unfortunately I was born with silver and blue running through my veins so I've no choice in the matter.

So true. Just listened to this recording on dc.com could not make it through had to stop as this moron was going into his speech about the GM has to answer to the owner anyway so basically why not have them be the same guy BS. He is either unbelievably dumb or just has such little respect for the intelligence of the fan base that it is sickening. I am embarrassed that I used to defend him and say idiotic things that some on here still say like "no one wants to win more than Jerry!" What a joke.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Man, listening to Jerry is just so depressing..........................losing 3 straight elimination games is reason to keep Garrett....................He literally is going to keep his trained monkey around until we go like 2-14.

I think I need to take a break..................I will see you guys later.