105.3thefan, Jerry Jones on now, its live

Eddie

Reaction score
No it isnt. This is the disconect with Jerry and reality. It hasnt improved in 3 1/2 years. In every other city that buys you a ticket out of town. Only in Jerry's mind is mediocrity rewarded with more mediocrity. I wish the suite holders would get together and hold out until changes are made.

Hang on guys. Not so fast.

How many years did it take Tom Landry to have his first winning season? Yep ... he went through 5 losing seasons before finding the right combination of players.

Get the players.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He just rambles on and obviously he has no idea what he's talking about. So we should have had more success because Romo played all year, but it wasn't the fault of coaching. So whose fault is it??

Bad luck. Injuries.

Alexander

Reaction score

How many years did it take Tom Landry to have his first winning season? Yep ... he went through 5 losing seasons before finding the right combination of players.

Get the players.

How many years did it take for Chip Kelly to jump from college to the NFL. Yep--one.

It is not just all about talent. Changing the culture can have an effect and we have the same culture going on here for far too long.

MikeT22

Reaction score
It used to be the Cowboys were able winning Super Bowls. Now Jerry is just satisfied with being "in it" going into the last week of the regular season. Finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs is reason for status quo, while at the same time Jerry paying lip service to saying how he wants to win.

If he wanted to win he'd probably hire a qualified HC, instead of bring back a guy for a 4th year he himself has admitted is still learning on the job.

Alexander

Reaction score
It used to be the Cowboys were able winning Super Bowls. Now Jerry is just satisfied with being "in it" going into the last week of the regular season. Finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs is reason for status quo, while at the same time Jerry paying lip service to saying how he wants to win.

If he wanted to win he'd probably hire a qualified HC, instead of bring back a guy for a 4th year he himself has admitted is still learning on the job.

If you are "in it" you can win it in his mind. See, look at the Giants. Baltimore. Green Bay.

Thing is though, it is not just about getting in if you do not have a clue what to do if you actually get there.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
While there is room for improvement in close games, teams that win a lot of close games don't usually do well in the playoffs.

Research has shown that what characterizes the top teams is not that they win a lot of close games, but that they dominate more games. The last three seasons, the playoff teams with the best regular season records in close games (decided by 8 points or less) are 3-9 in the postseason.

year/team/playoff record
2012 Texans, Colts, Vikings 1-3
2011 Packers, 49ers, Steelers 1-3
2010 Patriots, Seahawks, Falcons 1-3

Dallas' record in games decided by one score or less is 16-15 over the last three seasons. The last three SB champions' combined record in such games is 15-13. There is no formula for winning close games. It's not a predictor of future success, or even necessarily an indicator of present success. This year, the Cowboys were 5-5 in close games, while Jacksonville was 4-2. The Jets were 5-1.

No team is going to make a living off winning close games. We need to improve the team, so that we don't find ourselves in so many close games.

I think this is another one of those themes that gets overplayed. The whole "they find a way to win close games." Makes for great stories and NFL Replays during the season. Never really thought it translated into post season success.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
If you are "in it" you can win it in his mind. See, look at the Giants. Baltimore. Green Bay.

Thing is though, it is not just about getting in if you do not have a clue what to do if you actually get there.

Well, there is some substance to the "just get in" thing, but yeah, all those teams figured it out once they got there, whereas teams like Cincy and KC have scraped their way in, and gotten bounced right away.

perrykemp

Reaction score
"jerry jones believes the cowboys can win more games next year if they compete the way they did against philadelphia sunday"

Wow. Sounds like he relishes the moral victory.

visionary

Reaction score

Get the players.

why do we ask this question, involving a coach a few decades back. why dont we ask "how long did it take jim harbaugh or chip kelly to have their first winning season?"

i know... because we want to make excuses for mediocrity

used to be, we measured ourselves against the best because we wanted to be the best

now.... not so much

Alexander

Reaction score
Well, there is some substance to the "just get in" thing, but yeah, all those teams figured it out once they got there, whereas teams like Cincy and KC have scraped their way in, and gotten bounced right away.

Look at Cincinnati. Perfect example. Got it, barely and got slapped down twice by the Texans.

These three teams, Giants/Ravens/Packers all had dynamic leaders, good coaches and/or some pretty good fortune.
I would rather bank on really getting better rather than just hope that you can replicate history. To me, that is the wrong way to go.

Makes me wonder exactly what the "secret sauce" they think they had was.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't close to being good. All they can do is beat the bad teams. Sure they can hang with the big boys for awhile. There's very few blowouts in the NFL as it were. But the Cowboys continue to self destruct. That's what bad teams do. If the NFC East was more like the NFC West this would be a 5-11 team. Jerry continues to live in a fantasy world.

MikeT22

Reaction score

If Garrett can get a 4th year just being being 8-8 three years in a row with no playoff appearance, just imagine what would happen if we actually went 9-7 and one and done in a wild card game. Jerry would probably give JG a lifetime contract.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These days you have to be a pretty bad football team not to be in it most years with a week or two left in the season.

You basically have to be competing for a top 5 pick in the draft not to be playing meaningful football in December.

Hoov

Reaction score
Even with a defense that was very limited with all the injuries, we were 3 turnovers away from making the playoffs... I think with one more year under the system and with added defensive players via the draft, we can be better!! I mean nothing is changing so why not hope for the best, we as fans may think we deserve something but in reality were owed nothing.. So I continue to hope that my kids will have a chance to fall in love with this team the way I did with my dad and grandfather...

Yes. But better players through the draft means more rookie starters so more waiting

Alexander

Reaction score
These days you have to be a pretty bad football team not to be in it most years with a week or two left in the season.

You basically have to be competing for a top 5 pick in the draft not to be playing meaningful football in December.

That is why I do not comprehend the idea of making that kind of positioning a goal rather than a circumstance.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Nah, you can tell he thought it was just bad luck. That's all it is, bad fortune. One of these years our luck will turn around and we can win 10 games.

Really, Jerry isn't even trying anymore.

He doesn't really have to try. He has enough ammo to sell and market his product. Injuries, the fact they lost 5 games by "X" amount of points and the fact that they were in it until the final day of the season is enough for the master marketer and snake oil salesman to sell to the masses and the shills. His stadium will still be full next season.

And I'll say it now.......the East next year will be much improved and 9 and 7 or 10 and 6 may not do it. The Cowboys won't roll through the East again. Having said that, the Red Headed Trainee gets fired and Jerry brings in a coach the masses can rally around......instant stadium sell out for 2015. Don't underestimate Jerry.....he has a plan alright, it's just not football related.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years. 1 playoff win in 17 years. after listening to this fool on the radio this morning folks, it is hopeless. this franchise is finished as long as he owns it.

Yes that interview was a huge indictment against his competency. Combine that with the Garrett "training" quote and we are finished.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Guess what Jerry, I know the Eagles will be a lot better next year, I know the Skins will be better next year, and Coughlin never stays down long. This means if you don't make huge improvements, next year we'll be on the bottom looking up.

Which is when he brings in a new coach to sell to the masses and they'll come flocking to his palace again in 2015. Jerry's a winner all the way around.