105.3thefan, Jerry Jones on now, its live

Novacek84

Reaction score
And how is losing close games showing Jerry we are close? We've done this for the entire Garrett era and nothing has changed. Last year was supposedly uncomfortable. Somehow this year all is well?

How as a sports fan do I get stuck with this imbecile and Peter Angelos?

I am also a Red Sox fan. I am stating the obvious when I say it is a night and day difference in how the two franchises are run. Thankfully one of my teams has competent, realistic management that tries every year to win. (the Bobby Valentine fiasco excepted)

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
These days you have to be a pretty bad ORGANIZATION not to be in it most years with a week or two left in the season.

You basically have to be competing for a top 5 pick in the draft not to be playing meaningful football in December.

For all our criticism, Jerry Jones, to me, embodies in unadulterated form the logic of the modern NFL which makes decisions based on maximizing profit, including giving mediocre teams the appearance of "success" through expanding the playoffs to artificially whip up fan enthusiasm about their team's prospects of making "the playoffs" which is no longer the exclusive domain of the truly and consistently strong teams. Jerry isn't selling the genuine prospect of a predictably good team, as has been pointed out by several posters, but the chance of getting in and going on a run in the playoffs. He is selling us a lottery ticket instead of solid security that will likely bear interest over the long term.

Oh well, let's hope he gives us the golden ticket for once!

Novacek84

Reaction score
"Jerry: "We should have had more success with Romo being on the field most of the year."

"Jerry Jones on the Callahan and Kiffin's job status: we had a rough year. we didn't have a rough year because of coaching"

He just rambles on and obviously he has no idea what he's talking about. So we should have had more success because Romo played all year, but it wasn't the fault of coaching. So whose fault is it??

Must be Tony's fault for getting hurt. Shame on him!!

MikeT22

Reaction score
Missing the playoffs 4 years in a row isn't good enough for Jerry to make any significant changes. Not sure what will. 6-10? 4-12? 0-16? Even if he did fire Garrett would he hire a quality HC or just another puppet coordinator? If history is any indication I'd say the latter.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Fortune is what brings most of the teams to the playoffs.

Either through a couple of missed plays and the team with the least injuries.

Suffice to say....

We were on the wrong end of 4 plays that affected 4 of our game outcomes AND we were the team with the MOST injuries.

Novacek84

Reaction score
I have to think that maybe he's looking at the situation in Carolina and decided to see if he could turn it around ala Riverboat Ron. Just guessing, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Granted Ron Rivera has tons more experience than Jason Garrett, but this has to be why you decide to stick with a guy whose been literally average throughout his tenure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ra-offers-greg-schiano-advice-on-the-hot-seat

So if/when Garrett fails next year I would expect the entire staff to then be fired. Anything less would be making a further mockery of things. I am not confident in any way that the Rivera thing happens here next season.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So if/when Garrett fails next year I would expect the entire staff to then be fired. Anything less would be making a further mockery of things. I am not confident in any way that the Rivera thing happens here next season.
Next year is the last year of Garrett's contract.

Even if he flops completely, he will not get fired. He will just go away.

Novacek84

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't close to being good. All they can do is beat the bad teams. Sure they can hang with the big boys for awhile. There's very few blowouts in the NFL as it were. But the Cowboys continue to self destruct. That's what bad teams do. If the NFC East was more like the NFC West this would be a 5-11 team. Jerry continues to live in a fantasy world.

We play the NFC West next year as well as NO, IND, and CHI. I know things change year to year but right now with that out of division slate we may just go 5-11.

Wood

Reaction score
who is interview Jerry is asking wrong questions. It should be why is this .500 team for past 14 years with no playoff success.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, as Alexander mentioned, it's the last year of Garrett's contract. I'd like to believe that if it's more of the same, then his contract will not be extended.

This..

Which is why Jerry suggested that there may not be many coaching changes. What decent coach comes to work for a lame duck coach? Can't think of many who'd go for a 1-yr deal besides a Monte Kiffin or someone like him.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
we have been in it last game for last 3 years, understand our fans want more than 8-8, we can have improvement with close games, positive to have team right there in position to win east, and go with Jason garrett,

Just goes to show how he really feels about the Cowboys. All he cares about is the relevancy of the team as they are constantly the hot topic of discussion for the media. This team has turned into the media's harlot and all media outlets get a turn.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeah, as Alexander mentioned, it's the last year of Garrett's contract. I'd like to believe that if it's more of the same, then his contract will not be extended.

This..

Which is why Jerry suggested that there may not be many coaching changes. What decent coach comes to work for a lame duck coach? Can't think of many who'd go for a 1-yr deal besides a Monte Kiffin or someone like him.

So basically what we have and that probably needs to be clearly understood is that the contractual side (read: money) drives most if not all of Jerry Jones' decisions.

None of this "he will do whatever it takes to win". Firing coaches costs money, bottom line money that cannot be recycled or written off due to contracts being shaped the right way. Getting rid of players with huge contracts also has a price and that is where some of his perceived "loyalty" comes from. He is going to be loyal first and foremost to how much money he makes.

There is a reason why practically every head coach he has ever hired had to inherit members of the staff. He started out with a very cheap staff with Jimmy Johnson and did not pay them well. He trimmed a lot of the fat in the Cowboys organization, even down to regular employees at Valley Ranch and got even cheaper after he left.

In all honesty, Jerry Jones is a bit of a cheapskate. He had his credit cards cut up at Love Field and he did not like it.

birdwells1

Reaction score
While there is room for improvement in close games, teams that win a lot of close games don't usually do well in the playoffs.

Research has shown that what characterizes the top teams is not that they win a lot of close games, but that they dominate more games. The last three seasons, the playoff teams with the best regular season records in close games (decided by 8 points or less) are 3-9 in the postseason.

year/team/playoff record
2012 Texans, Colts, Vikings 1-3
2011 Packers, 49ers, Steelers 1-3
2010 Patriots, Seahawks, Falcons 1-3

Dallas' record in games decided by one score or less is 16-15 over the last three seasons. The last three SB champions' combined record in such games is 15-13. There is no formula for winning close games. It's not a predictor of future success, or even necessarily an indicator of present success. This year, the Cowboys were 5-5 in close games, while Jacksonville was 4-2. The Jets were 5-1.

No team is going to make a living off winning close games. We need to improve the team, so that we don't find ourselves in so many close games.

Man great info, it's much appreciated.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

Yeah and that way Jerry won't have to "fire" him because we all know now he never wanted to do that!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So basically what we have and that probably needs to be clearly understood is that the contractual side (read: money) drives most if not all of Jerry Jones' decisions.

None of this "he will do whatever it takes to win". Firing coaches costs money, bottom line money that cannot be recycled or written off due to contracts being shaped the right way. Getting rid of players with huge contracts also has a price and that is where some of his perceived "loyalty" comes from. He is going to be loyal first and foremost to how much money he makes.

There is a reason why practically every head coach he has ever hired had to inherit members of the staff. He started out with a very cheap staff with Jimmy Johnson and did not pay them well. He trimmed a lot of the fat in the Cowboys organization, even down to regular employees at Valley Ranch and got even cheaper after he left.

In all honesty, Jerry Jones is a bit of a cheapskate. He had his credit cards cut up at Love Field and he did not like it.
I don't think he's a cheapskate in player personnel, but there may be something to that on the football operations side of it.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For all our criticism, Jerry Jones, to me, embodies in unadulterated form the logic of the modern NFL which makes decisions based on maximizing profit, including giving mediocre teams the appearance of "success" through expanding the playoffs to artificially whip up fan enthusiasm about their team's prospects of making "the playoffs" which is no longer the exclusive domain of the truly and consistently strong teams. Jerry isn't selling the genuine prospect of a predictably good team, as has been pointed out by several posters, but the chance of getting in and going on a run in the playoffs. He is selling us a lottery ticket instead of solid security that will likely bear interest over the long term.

Oh well, let's hope he gives us the golden ticket for once!

Man I forgot about the NFL wanting to expand the number of teams in the playoffs...they do that and we will have Garrett for another 10 years, we will be below .500 and still be playing in win or go home games at the end of the year.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Look at Cincinnati. Perfect example. Got it, barely and got slapped down twice by the Texans.

These three teams, Giants/Ravens/Packers all had dynamic leaders, good coaches and/or some pretty good fortune.
I would rather bank on really getting better rather than just hope that you can replicate history. To me, that is the wrong way to go.

Makes me wonder exactly what the "secret sauce" they think they had was.

Sounded like it was good marketing ploy. You know, stuff you hear thrown around in board rooms and meeting rooms. Sounds good, and gets everyone fired up, but then pretty much dies once you leave the room.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team is going to make a living off winning close games. We need to improve the team, so that we don't find ourselves in so many close games.
Next your I'm going to try and watch only the 4th quarter of our games. Looking back over the last 3 years, I'm not sure I would have missed much following that formula.