12 Things about pop music that should make you cringe

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
There is an obvious answer to these. Back when most of the songs / albums / singers that were compared were top hits, there wasn't near as many people who owned the ability to play music around the world not to mention world population has increased substantiated since then..

The Walkman in the 80s started the real music boom. Then the CD in the 90s and the MP3s in the 2000s. That is where the real growth in music sales started. Each one was bigger than the previous one. The Beattles basically had to sell everything on vinyl. Not everyone had record players back then. Today, every house of four has four portable music players not to mention usually a few other ways to play music too.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4476035 said:
There is an obvious answer to these. Back when most of the songs / albums / singers that were compared were top hits, there wasn't near as many people who owned the ability to play music around the world not to mention world population has increased substantiated since then..

The Walkman in the 80s started the real music boom. Then the CD in the 90s and the MP3s in the 2000s. That is where the real growth in music sales started. Each one was bigger than the previous one. The Beattles basically had to sell everything on vinyl. Not everyone had record players back then. Today, every house of four has four portable music players not to mention usually a few other ways to play music too.

You forgot another big factor. MTV.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4476035 said:

That's a huge part of it. The whole list with exception of Streisand can be explained by that.

Plus the point below by Future nails it down even further. Pop does not mean good, it just means popular.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well they are comparing "pop" to a lot of not-pop genres. Of course "pop" sells more copies. Doesn't mean it's better, but there's obviously a mass appeal.

Also, even though I'm not a fan of the Bieber, the guy gets hated on way more than he deserves. He's actually really talented. Scott Ian from Anthrax said it best talking about Hanson on VH1 (I love the 90's maybe)...essentially he said "I know you want me to bag on them, but when it comes down to it, they were three kids actually making their own music." Beiber and Hanson are different, but people still like to ignore the kid's talent because of his fame. That's not particularly fair imo.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Also a lot people treat music purely as entertainment or background noise. Music is probably my biggest hobby so I usually don't waste much of free time listening to mediocre pop music.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By that standard, TV shows were better 40 years ago than they are today because more people watched them. Let's ignore the fact that no one had 500 channels then nor the internet and households did not stay in the road all the time.

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, music was limited to vinyl records and 8-track tapes and most of the music players for that media were stationary devices such as home and car stereos. The Sony Walkman of the 80s and the Apple iPods and other various portable MP3 Players of the last several years have made music more popular and more importantly, more available. If they want a true comparison, compare physical media sales numbers, not downloadable music.

#reality

Mitcha68

Reaction score
Future;4476083 said:
Well they are comparing "pop" to a lot of not-pop genres. Of course "pop" sells more copies. Doesn't mean it's better, but there's obviously a mass appeal.

Also, even though I'm not a fan of the Bieber, the guy gets hated on way more than he deserves. He's actually really talented. Scott Ian from Anthrax said it best talking about Hanson on VH1 (I love the 90's maybe)...essentially he said "I know you want me to bag on them, but when it comes down to it, they were three kids actually making their own music." Beiber and Hanson are different, but people still like to ignore the kid's talent because of his fame. That's not particularly fair imo.

Yep, well said Future.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Reality;4476141 said:
By that standard, TV shows were better 40 years ago than they are today because more people watched them. Let's ignore the fact that no one had 500 channels then nor the internet and households did not stay in the road all the time.

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, music was limited to vinyl records and 8-track tapes and most of the music players for that media were stationary devices such as home and car stereos. The Sony Walkman of the 80s and the Apple iPods and other various portable MP3 Players of the last several years have made music more popular and more importantly, more available. If they want a true comparison, compare physical media sales numbers, not downloadable music.

#reality
Good points

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I didn't know the point of music was album sales and chart position. That's what's really disappointing.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
You all are going to laugh your 999 off at me but I have no idea who all these people are
on the left well not exactly true heard of Billy Ray cyrus shania twain and celion deion but I do not own listen or have any music from them nor do I have it from M. Jackson

now I do have

Simon and Garfunkel
Beatles
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Bruce Springsteen
Barbara Streisand
Tom Petty
Johnny Cash

I guess my music collection stops when I joined the service in 1981 except for an album by Springsteen in 1984 might have a few newer songs but if so it ain't many and now when I listen to music I go to internet radio and listen to a best hits radio sender from the 50's 60's 70's or liveireland life is great.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Future;4476083 said:

Good point, Timberlake was hated by many until he started doing SNL all the time. I don't think I will ever like Bieber (he was terrible the one time I saw him on SNL) but sometimes it takes a career shift for these guys to get respect from the rest of us. DiCaprio is another like this who took a lot of crap until he did good movies.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Don't forget the impact of iTunes. Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s, you had to buy albums. Sure you could get singles, but it was the single the record company wanted you to buy. Album sales used to make money for the artist. These days they mainly make money from touring.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Reality;4476141 said:

#reality

I miss the old vinyl records. OK, the sound quality wasn't as good as it is now but I loved the artwork on the covers. I used to enjoy standing in a record store picking the the record sleeves just to admire the artwork. There were some classics back then.

Some of the old vinyl records I bought back then I must have bought 4 or 5 times over in their various formats. I wished I had kept my old collection.

The 70's were an exciting time for music with progressive rock groups that we'll never see the like of again IMO. I continually go back and listen to that music as I find today's music, except for a few groups, quite boring.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Lodeus;4477001 said:
Whatever talent Bieber has, I am not seeing it.

Jeez. No kidding. When I heard the Jonas Brothers sing on our Thanksgiving game a few years back I thought there was an audio problem with the TV. They absolutely sucked in every conceivable way imaginable.

That's a reason I guess I don't like live music all that much. SO many acts are constructions of the studio environment. Silly me for expecting talent to carry my interest instead of a mixing board.

A few I do want to see live, Mumford, Kings of Leon, Foster the People.

#8. So her having as many singles from an album featuring a child molester is an indictment of her? I'm lost. As far as I'm concerned, the world becomes a better place when any child molester dies.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;4477203 said:
I miss the old vinyl records. OK, the sound quality wasn't as good as it is now but I loved the artwork on the covers. I used to enjoy standing in a record store picking the the record sleeves just to admire the artwork. There were some classics back then.

Some of the old vinyl records I bought back then I must have bought 4 or 5 times over in their various formats. I wished I had kept my old collection.

The 70's were an exciting time for music with progressive rock groups that we'll never see the like of again IMO. I continually go back and listen to that music as I find today's music, except for a few groups, quite boring.

Arch my friend maybe we are getting old...or maybe its just that the world around us is getting younger