13 Dallas Cowboys who should be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If Romo gets in, it will be on the broadcasting side a decade from now. Dandy, Jordan, Green, Woodson are all HOF worthy and Witten will be in very soon. Dandy on the broadcasting side being a member of the original MNF crews with Cosell and Gifford.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
So many great players but Woodson really stands out to me first and foremost
Woodson and Witten are no doubters right off the top. Not sure if Witten is eligible yet though. Its a crime that Woodson is not in already.

Creeper

Reaction score
This is the big problem will Halls of Fame. It is supposed to be limited to the best of the best but mistakes are made which sets the precedent for other mistakes to be made. Look at the Rock & Roll HOF. Anyone not in it is considered a slight, and they have been some major slights. But that's because so many underserving people are in it. The pro-football HOF has been better but still there have been some mistakes.

On this list, I think Lee Roy Jordan is absolutely deserving of the HoF consideration. I thought he deserved it before Chuck Howley. Cornell Green is probably a yes too. Witten will get in when his time comes, I think. Some of the others were good players, even underrated players, but I don't think they will get into the HoF. Woodson has a shot because he has people backing him. Harvey Martin has 114 career sacks. Too Tall had 106. That's close but I don't think it is enough. Martin had 20 sacks in 1977 but the rest of his careers he had good but not extraordinary numbers. He is on the bubble I think.

Romo is not getting into the HoF as a QB. Maybe he makes it as a football analyst for CBS someday but he was not the best in his era or even in the top 5 in his own time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
People say Rivers was HOF worthy and Eli. Romo was better than both
I don’t know who those people are but I’ve never heard Rivers and HOF in the same sentence.

Eli won 2 Super Bowls. That’s what they play for. I know our youngest fans may not realize this.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
  • 60’s…. For some reason, I always thought Cornell Green was in the HOF. I didn’t see any of them play, but of all the old school players he seems most worthy.
  • 70’s…. First Cowboys dynasty decade would probably have more HOF players if they had won at least one more Super Bowl. Fair or not, it means a lot in the NFL HOF process. I think Harvey Martin would have been a much bigger deal if he played in today’s NFL environment. I support him first from the 70’s crop. After that going offensive line with Neely.
  • 80’s…. Rough years. Walls is only one even smell worthy.
  • 90’s….. Woody is by far the most deserving still left from our second dynasty. Nice to see another guy from that defense too that never really gets credit for how great it was. Someone from that early Great Wall needs to get in. Larry was late in the game. Big Nate all the way. Would have been Big E if he stayed healthy.
  • 00’s…. More rough years like the 80’s. If Roy Williams had stayed like his 1st-2nd years, we’d probably be talking him up. Romo is one of many statistically impressive QBs in the new generation. Need something else to separate you. Like winning Playoff games.
    10’s…. Witten is no brainer, just not eligible yet. Ware was the other but he‘s already in. Zack will be no brainer when he’s done. Tyron would have had a shot if he stayed healthier.
  • 20’s….. Of the young guys, the obvious one if he stays healthy is #11. CeeDee may have a shot one day if he puts up a decade of last year’s production. Dak is same boat as Romo. Numbers mean nothing for a QB now. They all have them. Show me Lombardi Trophies.

GMO415

Reaction score
Romo will have to purchase a ticket to enter the HOF

kskboys

Reaction score
  • 60’s…. For some reason, I always thought Cornell Green was in the HOF. I didn’t see any of them play, but of all the old school players he seems most worthy.
  • 70’s…. First Cowboys dynasty decade would probably have more HOF players if they had won at least one more Super Bowl. Fair or not, it means a lot in the NFL HOF process. I think Harvey Martin would have been a much bigger deal if he played in today’s NFL environment. I support him first from the 70’s crop. After that going offensive line with Neely.
  • 80’s…. Rough years. Walls is only one even smell worthy.
  • 90’s….. Woody is by far the most deserving still left from our second dynasty. Nice to see another guy from that defense too that never really gets credit for how great it was. Someone from that early Great Wall needs to get in. Larry was late in the game. Big Nate all the way. Would have been Big E if he stayed healthy.
  • 00’s…. More rough years like the 80’s. If Roy Williams had stayed like his 1st-2nd years, we’d probably be talking him up. Romo is one of many statistically impressive QBs in the new generation. Need something else to separate you. Like winning Playoff games.
    10’s…. Witten is no brainer, just not eligible yet. Ware was the other but he‘s already in. Zack will be no brainer when he’s done. Tyron would have had a shot if he stayed healthier.
  • 20’s….. Of the young guys, the obvious one if he stays healthy is #11. CeeDee may have a shot one day if he puts up a decade of last year’s production. Dak is same boat as Romo. Numbers mean nothing for a QB now. They all have them. Show me Lombardi Trophies.
80's: Don't forget Eugene Lockhart and Jim Jeffcoat. Both would be considered if they'd been on good teams.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score

Since it is supposed to recognize all-time greatness....

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76--No.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89--No

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68--No

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18--should be a first ballot HOF'er

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89--maybe some veterans committee will get him in the future, but I'm won't be upset if he never gets in.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003--should already be in.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83--arguably yes, but he won't get enough votes to ever get in. Jerry should be horse whipped for not having him in the ROH.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74--yes, and Jerry gets another horse whipping for not having him in the Ring.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16--hahahaha! No.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77--No. John Niland was a better lineman. He belongs in both the Ring (another horse whipping for Jerry), and, IMO, in the Hall.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98--No. See comments above about John Niland.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72--No

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81--No

CCBoy

Reaction score
Romo will have to purchase a ticket to enter the HOF
The NFL is so extremely competitive that it is tough to separate enough in a time period to enter the Hall. That is great for us fans and the sport. What is important is players seperating and shining for their era teams. That should receive special praise by a team's fans. Football needs performance and their own team successes.

A final comparison has long been controlled by the media tasked with it's judgement. A competitive advantage has always been respected because of giving credability for winning. Winning has been at the center of the sport from it's beginning as well as progressing the location of the ball on the field.

This OP had some good candidates. Jerry and his selected candidates do continue to join the group, and solidly. I don't blame him for accomplishment at top levels. That belongs more to Coaches and team play developed by them.

The Cowboys are still highly represented and deserve respect. I appreciate good play by the Cowboys. I don't live and reflect purely on hero worship...I respect the top levels of production.

After all was said and done, I was just another 'Joe' in the game, but I do love the sport and accomplishments by those better than myself. Competition at all levels is relevant as well as character builders. I root for that in all Hall Considered Players.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89--maybe some veterans committee will get him in the future, but I'm won't be upset if he never gets in.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83--arguably yes, but he won't get enough votes to ever get in. Jerry should be horse whipped for not having him in the ROH.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74--yes, and Jerry gets another horse whipping for not having him in the Ring.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77--No. John Niland was a better lineman. He belongs in both the Ring (another horse whipping for Jerry), and, IMO, in the Hall.

Andrie - yes. 8))

kskboys

Reaction score

Agree on everything except Dandy. He was better than you think. Would've won a couple super bowls if not for the juggernaut in GB.

Too bad he was beat up so badly from being on crapp Cowboys teams for 6 years. Would've had a longer career if not for that.

Not sure if I'd put him in the HOF, but he is close.

plasticman

Reaction score
Make it 14 players:

LG John Niland

A 1966 1st round pick of the Cowboys, 6 time Pro Bowl, 3 time 1st team All Pro, a nine year starter for the Cowboys, missed one game in his career. During his time with the Cowboys the offense was a top five running team in 8 of 9 seasons. They were the #1 running team for three of those seasons.

During his combined 9 seasons as a starter the Cowboys, they were #1 in wins, #1 in rushing yardage and #2 in passing yardage. John Niland was a huge contributor to those results.

Niland participated in 15 playoff games including two NFL championships and two Super Bowls

Paired with Ralph Neely on the left side, they were a formidable duo that RB's Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas, and Walt Garrison ran behind

Hagman

Reaction score
Agree on everything except Dandy. He was better than you think. Would've won a couple super bowls if not for the juggernaut in GB.

Too bad he was beat up so badly from being on crapp Cowboys teams for 6 years. Would've had a longer career if not for that.

Not sure if I'd put him in the HOF, but he is close.
Don Meredith was one of my first heros as a kid. I don't think that fans today appreciate just how good he was. My gosh, the numbers he put up throwing to Bob Hayes and those other guys, just astonishing. Plus he took a brutal beating. I can't remember how many times he got his nose broken. And to hell with all the fans who booed him without mercy

Maybe if he had played a few more years he'd be in. He would have been the guy to take us to Super Bowls V and VI. But, he quit too soon. And I can't blame him for it. I'm glad he had success in the booth, acting, and hawking that 'ol Lipton Iced Tea.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Make it 14 players:

LG John Niland

A 1966 1st round pick of the Cowboys, 6 time Pro Bowl, 3 time 1st team All Pro, a nine year starter for the Cowboys, missed one game in his career. During his time with the Cowboys the offense was a top five running team in 8 of 9 seasons. They were the #1 running team for three of those seasons.

During his combined 9 seasons as a starter the Cowboys, they were #1 in wins, #1 in rushing yardage and #2 in passing yardage. John Niland was a huge contributor to those results.

Niland participated in 15 playoff games including two NFL championships and two Super Bowls

Paired with Ralph Neely on the left side, they were a formidable duo that RB's Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas, and Walt Garrison ran behind
I loved Walt Garrison, Mr. chew in his jaw.

Hagman

Reaction score
Make it 14 players:

LG John Niland

giphy.gif