#138 5th Round Pat Watkins S FSU

Chuck 54

Reaction score
where are you guys reading that he's a good coverage guy...I'm reading that he's rangy for the zone, but that he can't cover 1-1 due to his height...don't attack, but Kiper says he'll be a great special teamer and deep zone guy, but that he struggles in coverage with good WRs.

I'm just curious as to who says he's a good cover guy....hard to imagine a good cover guy who runs a 4.44 and with that height would still be around in the 5th round, especially since it sounds like he's a great gunner on special teams.

any ideas?

I'm still happy to have a guy with his size and speed as depth even if he doesn't start at fs....I still think it will be Davis or Coleman for sure this year.

followthestar

Reaction score
by the end of the year nothing - he will be pulling down playing time from the get-go! he seems a perfect fit for our secondary needs. if he'd been on the roster last year we wouldv'e beaten the Skins 13-0 in our first meeting...

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that the Lynn Scott era, mercifully, is officially over.

May Pat Watkins lift the curse of Marion Brock's departure once and for all.

:starspin

marchetta

Reaction score
You gotta like these #'s: 6'4'', 210lbs, 40 in 4.44, 41” vertical jump, 11’1” broad jump, 14 reps in the 225-pound bench press. Nice!!!

jcollins28

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
"That coverage ability, along with his size and athletic talent, makes Pat a first day pick. In fact, if a team feels that Pat has the upside that I think he has, some team at the end of the first round just might take a chance and pick him. It’s a bit of a long shot; but like all long shots, it’s a possibility."

Great Pickup ..... Guess Bill still knows what he is doing huh?

I'm floored he lasting this long. In fact it makes me wonder if something bad has happened with him. All I ever heard about this guy was a team would be LUCKY to get him if they waited on him after the 2nd round. Great pick this was the F/S I wanted all along. Still can't believe he was there.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
where are you guys reading that he's a good coverage guy...I'm reading that he's rangy for the zone, but that he can't cover 1-1 due to his height...don't attack, but Kiper says he'll be a great special teamer and deep zone guy, but that he struggles in coverage with good WRs.

I'm just curious as to who says he's a good cover guy....hard to imagine a good cover guy who runs a 4.44 and with that height would still be around in the 5th round, especially since it sounds like he's a great gunner on special teams.

any ideas?

I'm still happy to have a guy with his size and speed as depth even if he doesn't start at fs....I still think it will be Davis or Coleman for sure this year.

I dont think anyone is saying he's a good "one on one" cover guy. But a good deep cover guy. He's the "rangy" safety everyone has been dying for.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Great pick. I have been holding my breath waiting for us to do somethng about the FS position. Finally we move up to get a guy we really need and he not a reach going two rounds later than he was projected.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jcollins28 said:
I'm floored he lasting this long. In fact it makes me wonder if something bad has happened with him. All I ever heard about this guy was a team would be LUCKY to get him if they waited on him after the 2nd round. Great pick this was the F/S I wanted all along. Still can't believe he was there.
Remember God loves the Cowboys.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
I dont think anyone is saying he's a good "one on one" cover guy. But a good deep cover guy. He's the "rangy" safety everyone has been dying for.
So he's a good deep safety and help guy, but he won't be good at covering the slot guy 1-1 like Woodson did...that explains why he's still around this late...however, I concur that it's a great pick because we have better cbs than most teams and he shouldn't be required to cover in man unless we are blitzing....cool.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
clayman said:
Kiper said Pat is destined to be a special teams only player......
Kiper has dogged every single Cowboy pick this weekend. What's new?

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Although I think we reached for Hatcher when we took him, I do like Green and now Watkins when we got them. Watkins has size and good speed for a safety, and considering we got him in the 5th, I very happy with his pick.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

any ideas?

What Safeties in the NFL can cover good WR's one on one? He is big and fast enouth to cover shocky and any other Tightend ...... This Kid is gonna be good

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:

any ideas?

Really don't need to be a 'good cover guy' at FS in Dallas' scheme. Depending on the term of 'good cover guy' and what each person thinks it is.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Watching his highlights...this guy covers a LOT of ground in zone pass coverage similar to Sean Taylor. Very effortless it seems playing "centerfield". Can run, change direction and make a play with a ball with relative ease for a guy his size. Lets just hope this guy can adjust to the speed of the game mentally, because he has the physical tools to make a serious impact on our pass D, if not in 2007 then definitely in 2008.

jcollins28

Reaction score
clayman said:
Kiper said Pat is destined to be a special teams only player......

Well Pat Kirwan has said that Watkins is special and a great "center field" type Free Safety. He has been pimping this guy on Sirius radio for well over a month. I like the pick and value Pat Kirwan opinion over Kiper's. Only time will tell I guess but I like him.

Reaction score
I got a feeling that a lot of these "high five's" for BP and JJ in this draft should be going to Ireland and scouting staff!:rolleyes:

Gaede

Reaction score
Great pick, very excited with this draft.

Only wonder why he fell so far

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
MinnesotaCowboy said:
I got a feeling that a lot of these "high five's" for BP and JJ in this draft should be going to Ireland and scouting staff!:rolleyes:

I agree ....... Ireland has done it again.