#138 5th Round Pat Watkins S FSU

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RealCowboyfan said:
Weaknesses: Must add bulk; is not a presence in run support. Struggles to get off blocks in the box. Gets outmuscled at the point of attack. Must improve his man-to-man coverage skills. Struggles when close to the line of scrimmage; cannot re-route or jam defenders.
Well, shoot, this pick is getting better and better. If this is an accurate analysis, his weaknesses are, 'Must improve his man-to-man coverage skills' He's not going to play strong safety. All his other 'weaknesses' are Roy's strengths.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 210 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
High School: Lincoln
Hometown: Tallahassee, FL
40 time: 4.5 seconds

NFL Draft Summary

Rivals.com: Talented player could have gone as early as the third round. Good value pick for the Cowboys here. He is an imposing athlete with an early starting grade, but needs some development in pass coverage.

Check the team picks

[More]

Main | Stats | Bio Notes | Headlines | As a Recruit | Scouting Report

Pros: Watkins is a top ball-hawk who has a burst to the ball to make the big play and finish with sure, strong tackling. He has fine range with the ability to make up huge chucks of yardage using his speed and long strides to cover the field. He is a very big, tall and smooth safety that has good natural instincts and looks great when playing center field at the free safety spot. He has very good hip turn for a man his size. He knows how to use his size to get high in the air and snatch or deflect a ball above the reach of most players. He is very intelligent and knows how to use good angles to his advantage. He is a solid, reliable tackler who wraps up consistently. He has the size and speed to match up well with big receivers and tight ends.
Cons: His coverage skills have progressed, but still needs work, especially his ability to match up in man. In run support, he is not a big hitter. He needs overall strength development that will elevate his power significantly.
Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds with a 41” vertical jump and 11’1” broad jump. He did 14 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
6'4" with a 41" vert means he replaced KehShawn as the winner of all hail mary battles, lol.

I remember him actually picking off a hail mary at fsu. I didnt realize he was such a good leaper but he was definitely bigger than all the other guy going for the ball.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
VoR said:
According to Opie " Mark Mosley" he's going to be a backup SS to Roy.:laugh2:
http://fromthescene.beloblog.com/
"Watkins will compete with last year's sixth-round pick, Justin Beriault, for a backup role to Roy Williams. He was available here because he struggles in coverage, which makes him a great fit behind Williams."

I was reading the DMN blogs.

They've got names wrong, colleges wrong ... it's funny to read their unedited stuff. Some of them (Mosely) come across as clueless.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
He's the perfect guy to matchup against Plaxico Burress in the redzone.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
This sounds exactly like the kind of guy to put on Keyshawn in the redzone when Dallas plays Carolina this season. And yes, I do agree with another poster that stated that the Commanders would have lost to Dallas last year on MNF if we had had a player like Watkins out there against their deep threat when they scored two touchdowns in the last 4 minutes of the game to win it. His height may be his biggest advantage out there.

Does anybody else here feel like I do that Ireland and the rest of his scouting department are actually earning their paychecks on day 2 of these NFL drafts?

Skip

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I can't believe the Cowboys drafted for need with every pick can you? Awesome!!!

Hey bdc,

This draft is starting to grow on me. Love it!
:bow:

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Draegerman said:
This sounds exactly like the kind of guy to put on Keyshawn in the redzone when Dallas plays Carolina this season. And yes, I do agree with another poster that stated that the Commanders would have lost to Dallas last year on MNF if we had had a player like Watkins out there against their deep threat when they scored two touchdowns in the last 4 minutes of the game to win it. His height may be his biggest advantage out there.

A smaller, agile, speedy receiver like Santana Moss would slice a rookie like him into 3 pieces.

I don't think it matters if Watkins is there or not.

Maybe with Marcus Coleman back there he probably wouldn't have scored one of the TD's.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Found this on the FSU board.
http://img132.*************/img132/651/f1355878tg.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tenkamenin said:
A smaller, agile, speedy receiver like Santana Moss would slice a rookie like him into 3 pieces.

Maybe with Marcus Coleman back there he probably wouldn't have scored one of the TD's.

The fact is with a guy almost 6'5 back there who can leap QB's are going to be less likely to try going "over-the-top".

And this guy can run... a sub 4.50 forty. This guy is a bit of a "freak".

And he's got great hands.

I love the pick.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Tenkamenin said:

I would agree except he wouldn't be put out there on Moss in one on one coverage. What Watkins will be asked to do (and should do very well) is be the centerfielder. That would have put him in very good position to take away at least one of the long balls that Brunell threw to Moss near the end of that game.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Tenkamenin said:

I agree. Watkins, if brought in as a rook, will get burned his fair share. It's just the way it is....

VoR

Reaction score
Chief said:
I was reading the DMN blogs.

They've got names wrong, colleges wrong ... it's funny to read their unedited stuff. Some of them (Mosely) come across as clueless.
Mosley has basically said he relies totally on Goose for his player info.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://img132.*************/img132/651/f1355878tg.jpg​

My God...

If Keith Davis were to clone himself and stood on his own shoulders, Watkins would have still jumped over him. Well, that's an exaggeration, but good God...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
StylisticS said:
Found this on the FSU board.
http://img132.*************/img132/651/f1355878tg.jpg

That picture just looks nuts, it looks alot higher than 41", lol. I mean, the big guy is standing right there, and he looks like he is bird watching.

:bow: