#138 5th Round Pat Watkins S FSU

trueblue1687

Reaction score
bfelt said:
The Cowboys SE scout says Watkins could be a red zone WR.

I heard that...I think they'll play with him in some red zone stuff...why not? He's taller than most receivers and definately ALL starting DB's.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Red zone WR??

I think TO would have a seizure, and Pat might have to watch his back, hahha.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skip said:
Hey bdc,

This draft is starting to grow on me. Love it!
:bow:
Hey Skip! IMO we are doing another outstanding job. The fight for the final 53 is really going to be something. Our last cuts will be harder than ever.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trueblue1687 said:
I heard that...I think they'll play with him in some red zone stuff...why not? He's taller than most receivers and definately ALL starting DB's.
So the question is.........Watkins or Newman in the red zone?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
So the question is.........Watkins or Newman in the red zone?
A very unorthodox idea and one which Parcells would laugh at me for saying, but how about Watkins and Newman swapping slots on certain goal line situations?

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
I agree. Watkins, if brought in as a rook, will get burned his fair share. It's just the way it is....
Like all rookies, Watkins is going to make mistakes, that's a given. But the point I was trying to make is that had the Cowboys had a free safety of Watkin's skills and size last year on their roster, the secondary coach would have put him in there for the last six minutes of the Washington game to take away their deep threat.

He might have gotten burned once by Moss for td but I seriously doubt that he would have been torched for a second time. Unless the synopsis was wrong about his ability to learn from his mistakes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
That picture just looks nuts, it looks alot higher than 41", lol. I mean, the big guy is standing right there, and he looks like he is bird watching.

:bow:

He is higher than 41".
He didnt get a running start on his vertical.
On this he had least had a few strides.

WOW! He looks like Jordan for goodness sakes. I am pretty sure he could have a highlight reel dunk over Shawn Bradley:) lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draegerman said:
Like all rookies, Watkins is going to make mistakes, that's a given. But the point I was trying to make is that had the Cowboys had a free safety of Watkin's skills and size last year on their roster, the secondary coach would have put him in there for the last six minutes of the Washington game to take away their deep threat.

He might have gotten burned once by Moss for td but I seriously doubt that he would have been torched for a second time. Unless the synopsis was wrong about his ability to learn from his mistakes.
I agree. A free safety must have a 'bend but do not break' defensive mentality. He knows that he must take away the deep threat first and tackle second. Keith Davis' mindset is to tackle first and defend deep secondly. In other words, he's a strong safety playing free safety. Marcus Coleman was a nice pickup, but if we can get someone who is a natural free safety with height and good speed, we're sitting pretty with Newman, Henry, Williams (and Glenn in nickel/dime situations) in the secondary. Here's hoping that Watkins is that guy.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
jterrell said:
He is higher than 41".
He didnt get a running start on his vertical.
On this he had least had a few strides.

Agreed. Getting up there that far has to put something in the minds of the opposing QB, lol.

Hailmary

Reaction score
The scary thing about this pic is that, he's probably on the descent of his jump. If you look at the position of the ball/ arms in relation to his body, one would assume it would be much higher if he was still ascending or at the peak of his jump.

As for the camera angle, I'd say it's pretty much eye level. If it wasn't, it would make his body parts look somewhat disproportioned.