2 suspicious things on last play in Dallas WC game

pancakeman

Reaction score
It's the ref's job to spot the ball. If he thinks he knows it's in the wrong place, it's his obligation to move it, without consideration of what he anticipates the offense will do at the next snap. What if the next snap is actually a fake spike, crossing route throw to CeeDee, who is tackled just as the ball crosses the goal line? Then that yard he didn't bother correcting turns out to be decisive.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I know dallas bungled the last play, and they might not have scored anyway if they had 1 more play.
And they had a chance on previous possession.

But 2 things I find suspicious, that makes it look like refs were trying to help SF win.

1. the ref furthest from the spot where dak went down, was the only ref that came to spot the ball.
Is he the only one that is supposed to do that? or can other refs do that in that situation?
I think in another game someone said another ref did it.

2.the ref when he got to the ball, after dallas players did not know to let him thru lol,
but he gets to ball grabs it, then he wastes time moving it back about 8 inches lol.
Doing that meant center had to adjust backwards, so did dak and rest of players.

Mike peria sp , said the spot of the ball doesnt matter on a clock play like that. just touch it or put it down
and get out of way for team to clock it.
After the clock, then refs can determine proper spot of los, and that will be used for the last play.

So why did the ref move the ball back???????:huh:

Well the only thing that makes sense is he was killing the time, that took around 2 seconds at least.
Had he just touched the ball then there would have been 1 second left when it was clocked,
and dallas gets a chance on throw to EZ.

But it seems to me the powers that be didnt want dallas to have that chance.
if dallas had scored the game score would have been "over" no score there and it is "under"
plus if the money on dallas was for them to win, and under, then not letting dallas have another chance there
gave a 2 way win on the gambling angles, and a dallas score/td there means vegas loses on under, and if
dallas were to win in OT then they would lose other bets like point spread.

And maybe gambling comes out better if SF wins, because as we now know SF goes to GB and wins
a game most thought they would lose.

I dont think it is stupid refs, or sloppy reffing lol , I think it was intentional.
I also think the cowboys in their stupidity helped them to do it.

There also should have been a booth review, which there wasnt, I find that odd for an ending like that.
I know time was gone by time ball hit ground on the clock, but still a booth review was needed.
But no booth review, NY did not get involved like they usually do so why not??

I think if dallas had not screwed it up so bad and had time for 1 more play, and if they threw a td pass,there would have been a holding call, so they have to do it again, and if they score again, then another penalty lol.:cool:
The refs all have assignments. They can't just randomly switch assignments around

As for moving the ball, the Cowboys don't get to determine the spot of the ball, the ref does that, so it wasn't off base for the ref to move it from where the Cowboys spotted it. Additionally, the ref actually should have moved it further back than that. The Cowboys set the ball where Dak ended his slide and came to a stop and Dak should have been marked down where he actually started his slide.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Ok I know dallas bungled the last play, and they might not have scored anyway if they had 1 more play.

But 2 things I find suspicious, that makes it look like refs were trying to help SF win.

1. the ref furthest from the spot where dak went down, was the only ref that came to spot the ball.
Is he the only one that is supposed to do that? or can other refs do that in that situation?

2.the ref when he got to the ball, after dallas players did not know to let him thru lol,
but he gets to ball grabs it, then he wastes time moving it back about 8 inches lol.
Doing that meant center had to adjust backwards, so did dak and rest of players.

Mike peria sp , said the spot of the ball doesnt matter on a clock play like that. just touch it or put it down
After the clock, then refs can determine proper spot of los, and that will be used for the last play.

Well the only thing that makes sense is he was killing the time, that took around 2 seconds at least.
Had he just touched the ball then there would have been 1 second left when it was clocked,

if dallas had scored the game score would have been "over" no score there and it is "under"
plus if the money on dallas was for them to win, and under, then not letting dallas have another chance there
gave a 2 way win on the gambling angles, and a dallas score/td there means vegas loses on under, and if

And maybe gambling comes out better if SF wins, because as we now know SF goes to GB and wins

I dont think it is stupid refs, or sloppy reffing lol , I think it was intentional.

There also should have been a booth review, which there wasnt, I find that odd for an ending like that.
I know time was gone by time ball hit ground on the clock, but still a booth review was needed.

I think if dallas had not screwed it up so bad and had time for 1 more play, and if they threw a td pass,there would have been a holding call, so they have to do it again, and if they score again, then another penalty lol.:cool:

I agree.
Also he came from too far back upfield to do that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No.

I argued and provided photo evidence the ball was spotted incorrectly by Biadasz initially.

The ref tried to re-spot the ball but was still off. However, in doing so he (the ref) spotted the ball closer to where it should have actually been.

What can’t you compute?

You’re arguing because the ref didn’t get the spot right he shouldn’t have touched it all.

I can correct you but I can’t help you with your limitations.
the actual los judging by both refs standing on it, was the 25 yd line.
biadez put it just inside the 24, the ref grabbed it moved it back to almost the 25, then brought it forward to where the nose of ball was on the 24 yd line.

So he moved it back then up, all the while the clock is ticking, he was still off by a yard, so whats the point of him moving it.?
you can set the los correctly AFTER the spike. even mike P said the spot was irrelevant.

There was no reason for the ref to move the ball at all in that situation.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The refs all have assignments. They can't just randomly switch assignments around

As for moving the ball, the Cowboys don't get to determine the spot of the ball, the ref does that, so it wasn't off base for the ref to move it from where the Cowboys spotted it. Additionally, the ref actually should have moved it further back than that. The Cowboys set the ball where Dak ended his slide and came to a stop and Dak should have been marked down where he actually started his slide.
biadez put it just inside the 24, the ref grabbed it moved it back to almost the 25, then brought it forward to where the nose of ball was on the 24 yd line.

So he moved it back then up, all the while the clock is ticking, he was still off by a yard, so whats the point of him moving it.?
you can set the los correctly AFTER the spike. even mike P said the spot was irrelevant.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Make a thread about how the Cowboys performed against the West and a bunch of "let it go" responses ensue.

Make another thread about an alleged anti-Cowboys conspiracy on the last play....this place sometimes. :muttley:

25 years of alleged nefarious outside forces for a team who can't get out of its own way.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No you stated the ref even gave Dallas a favorable spot. There is nothing to correct you, because the posts are still there.

And again, I’m not arguing anything with you. You inserted yourself into a conversation trying to correct me based on assumptions I never made and you are trying to do it again with the following:

You are just trying to refute the logical implications of your incorrect claims and statements, not what I was even talking about when you decided to insert yourself in the conversation.

Smh, two things can be equally true:

1) the ref did give the Cowboys a favorable spot closer to where it should have been spotted; and 2) the ball was still incorrectly spotted.

You can’t compute that because you’re a binary thinker. It’s OK. You’re doing the best you can.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree.
Also he came from too far back upfield to do that.
he was slow to come forward, but then he ran to los, but the problem was the cowboys did not let him thru them and to the ball.
if they had the would have clocked it in time.
The cowboys on that play looked like they were not aware of at least 2 rules or good things to do.
Hand ball to ref , make room for him to spot it, then snap it.
They were just going to snap the ball lol with no ref touching it or spotting it.

But overall that ref got there quick enough, it was just he had to push his way thru line and then does the double move on spotting the ball, which was not needed.
he also got the spot wrong.

Cowboy should have looked at the side refs also as they stand on the los which was the 25 exactly. they spotted it just inside the 24
ref put it back just outside the 24, so both were wrong.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Make a thread about how the Cowboys performed against the West and a bunch of "let it go" responses ensue.

Make another thread about an alleged anti-Cowboys conspiracy on the last play....this place sometimes. :muttley:

25 years of alleged nefarious outside forces for a team who can't get out of its own way.
well your wrong on both, this thread isnt about anti-Cowboys conspiracy, or that they lost.
it isnt about the last 25 years or why cowboys keep losing or dont do well in playoffs. Mostly they lose because they have inept coaches.

morat1959

Reaction score
Another nominee for dumbest post of the year!......this is funny coming from a guy with a rowdy avatar !
Quit crying about the refs.....I am not crying about refs just pointing out things.
If you dont like the topic why come in here?? talk about dumb, oh here is a topic I dont like, I will go in a post here lol :facepalm:
Losers make excuses. Winners overcome whatever’s put in front of them. That’s not just football….it’s life. Get one!

morat1959

Reaction score

Thank you!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

How does the ref know whether the Cowboys were going to spike it or not?

What happens if Biadasz spots the ball wrong (as he did initially), the Cowboys run a play and score? Can you imagine all the whining and crying when the 49ers challenge the spot of the ball and the TD is reversed?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Losers make excuses. Winners overcome whatever’s put in front of them. That’s not just football….it’s life. Get one!
no excuses from me on this game lol.
Winners overcome whatever’s put in front of them tom brady and TB didnt so I guess they are losers??:rolleyes:

Brax

Reaction score
it doesnt matter where the ball is spotted for a spike the ball play.
Mike pieara said that after that play. they can respot the ball correctly for the next play. so there is no need to respot the ball.
There is no way for that ref to accurately spot the ball that quickly, so why do that at all? it can all be sorted out after the spike.
Don't care what MP say's the ball has to be touched by a ref and spotted correctly that's the rule, if the center had spotted it correctly then all that was needed was a touch, never heard of spot the ball where you want.
"After the game, referee Alex Kemp told pool reporter Todd Archer of ESPN.com that the umpire did his job correctly as the final seconds ticked off the clock in Dallas.
“No, the umpire was simply spotting the ball properly,” Kemp said. “He collided with the players as he was setting the ball because he was moving it to the proper spot.”
Kemp said the official was “absolutely” in a reasonable distance from the end of the play and that there was no consultation with the league office in New York about how the final seconds should be officiated."

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don't care what MP say's the ball has to be touched by a ref and spotted correctly that's the rule, if the center had spotted it correctly then all that was needed was a touch, never heard of spot the ball where you want.
"After the game, referee Alex Kemp told pool reporter Todd Archer of ESPN.com that the umpire did his job correctly as the final seconds ticked off the clock in Dallas.
“No, the umpire was simply spotting the ball properly,” Kemp said. “He collided with the players as he was setting the ball because he was moving it to the proper spot.”
Kemp said the official was “absolutely” in a reasonable distance from the end of the play and that there was no consultation with the league office in New York about how the final seconds should be officiated."

No way bro.

Apparently, the center can spot the ball ANYWHERE he wants and the ref is obligated to only touch it.

So says some of our special fans.

Brax

Reaction score
No way bro.

Apparently, the center can spot the ball ANYWHERE he wants and the ref is obligated to only touch it.

So says some of our special fans.
Funny isn't it, here is right from the rule book. I guess some folks think the center can spot the ball for a extra yard and it's ok. Imagine the ref's following the rules it's a conspiracy against the Cowboys by the league.
"The offensive team must put the ball in play with a snap at the spot where the previous down ended"

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Not going to look thru the entire thread but would be surprised if this answer is in there among the "theorist" chatter. I have posted this like 3 or 4 times, including as a response to you previously here: https://cowboyszone.com/threads/bac...ll-bucs-rams-game.492963/page-7#post-11706765

But no one likes proof 'round these parts. Lol.

Biadasz spotted the ball ahead almost 2 yards. Check out this video. At 0:10, you see the Line Judge at the top of the screen on the sideline showing the spot to be on the other side of the 25 and then hops forward 1+ yard after the spotting official puts it at about the 24 to try to hurry things along. If he correctly spots it, the entire team has to move back and get set before the snap. Time would have run out just the same. The refs tried helping us but Dak needed to go down around the 30 to account for all that could happen. So in summary, the Line Judge on the sideline spotted the ball and the trailing ref was trying to match his spot but gave up to save time and gave the Cowboys extra yards.

Creeper

Reaction score
After watching all the other games the last two weeks, one thing was evident, when the team with the ball was trying to hurry to the LOS, the ref was there to spot the ball almost immediately after the end of the play. The refs know the offense is trying to rush. I don't think it was a conspiracy, but the ref on that last play of the 49ers game was very late getting to the new spot of the ball.

But even if Dallas was able to get the ball spiked with 1 second left. The 49ers would have put everybody in the end zone, rushed 2 or 3 guys and forced Dak to make a perfect throw with a lucky catch at the end. The odds they would have won on a last play were infinitesimal.

I would have tried to throw twice from the 41. With the 49ers all lined up on the outside trying to prevent Dallas from getting out of bounds, the middle of the field was open. They had time for two passes if the first was incomplete. I am sure Dak can throw the ball 40 yards. I wonder if they had Gallup for the game if they would have thrown it into the end zone there hoping Gallup would make the contested catch. He's pretty good at that.