$20 fines for cursing in public

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MIDDLEBOROUGH, Mass. – Mimi Duphily was hanging baskets of pink geraniums on antique street lamps downtown for the Middleborough Beautification and Activities Group when she noticed something else that needed cleaning up -- citizens' mouths.

"The cursing has gotten very, very bad. I find it appalling and I won't tolerate it," said Duphily, a civic leader in the otherwise quiet New England community, which calls itself the Cranberry Capital of the World. "No person should be allowed to talk in that manner."

Soon, Middleborough residents who do could risk a $20 fine.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...20-fines-for-cursing-in-public/#ixzz1xUmtsSCy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Here is 160 bucks for the week now get the blank out of my face. :laugh2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
I can't tell if someone with a Massachusetts accent is cursing or not.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Reminds me of George Carlin and his 7 (?) bad words comedy routine. Hilarious.

Too bad Gearge Carlin wasn't still around. He could do a public concert there. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This is nothing new. You can be cited for this anywhere I believe. I remember when I was around 16. I was in a store with a friend and his older brother who was 19. He was playing a video can and upset and cussing like a sailor cause he was losing. A cop walked and heard him and immediately cited for it. Yes, this was in Texas. I believe his fine was more than $20 too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589756 said:
This is nothing new. You can be cited for this anywhere I believe. I remember when I was around 16. I was in a store with a friend and his older brother who was 19. He was playing a video can and upset and cussing like a sailor cause he was losing. A cop walked and heard him and immediately cited for it. Yes, this was in Texas. I believe his fine was more than $20 too.

New to me, I have lived here all my life and cussed almost as long even in front of police yet not 1 fine my entire life. I must be special. :laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the Hopper.

The Hopper

That tv ad with the Hopper and the family with the boston accent makes me laugh every time.

The HOPPER

Now they just need to do it with some cursing in it.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589756 said:

what?? **** that ****!!!!:laugh2:

seriously - what a joke and a waste of resources. go fight an ACTUAL crime instead of this!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589783 said:
Saying "a" cuss word in public probably isn't going to get you a ticket. If you start are going overboard with it, they definitely can.

Here a teenager in a Dallas school got fined over $600.

As I said I have never heard of it nor have I ever been confronted for using foul language. I never said it could not happen and I will say that I find it over reaching to fine people for it.

At school they could suspend the student for use of foul language. In a business they have the right to fire you for it but handing out fines I think it ridicules.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4589759 said:
It's the Hopper.

The Hopper

That tv ad with the Hopper and the family with the boston accent makes me laugh every time.

The HOPPER

Now they just need to do it with some cursing in it.

THA HOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh1:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4589786 said:
As I said I have never heard of it nor have I ever been confronted for using foul language. I never said it could not happen and I will say that I find it over reaching to fine people for it.

At school they could suspend the student for use of foul language. In a business they have the right to fire you for it but handing out fines I think it ridicules.

Maybe not for a single use of offensive language, but if someone is going overboard with it firing of foul language left and right. Hell yeah they should. I and others shouldn't be forced to listen to some moronic idiot spew foul language with every other word that comes out of his/her mouth.

If so, I should be able to offend them with a baseball bat to the head without consequence.

Now, step up and take your beating.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When people use profanity, it is an attempt to generate and obtain attention. It is the one-up environment we live in. If everyone says, "Crap!" when they get mad, it's not special and will likely go unnoticed in conversation unless yelled loudly. So, people use profanity as a means to gain that attention without yelling. Of course yelling profanity increases the attention you gain.

The problem is that people start to regularly use profanity because they believe each thing they are saying to be important enough to justify it. Once that happens, their friends get used to it so the only recourse they have to stress that this time they are really angry or excited is to yell louder, include excessive animation or to combine several profane words together in strange combinations. To the rest of the public, they see a person that is seems mentally unbalanced. My point is that everything becomes a pattern no matter how common or how rare, no matter how quiet or how loud and no matter how polite or how rude. Once the pattern sets in, people have to break that pattern by more and more extremes to continue to garner the attention they seek.

It is the same with forums. Ever notice how some users tend to create new threads than reply in threads even with there are already threads discussing the topic right there? I am not referring to duplicate threads, which happens sometimes due to differing thread titles, but rather intentional thread separation. The reason is that the person feels their opinions or comments would be considered on the same level of relevance or importance if they post them in a reply, so by creating a new thread on the topic, they gain the exposure they want or need for their comments.

One of the main benefits of profanity is that it requires little effort to think. It's like using the word "thing" to describe everything including the abstract and non-physical items. That is the main reason profanity is used when people are very angry, upset or hurt as it requires no thinking to say them and almost any usage works.

#reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4589805 said:
Maybe not for a single use of offensive language, but if someone is going overboard with it firing of foul language left and right. Hell yeah they should. I and others shouldn't be forced to listen to some moronic idiot spew foul language with every other word that comes out of his/her mouth.

If so, I should be able to offend them with a baseball bat to the head without consequence.

Now, step up and take your beating.

I tend to agree with this .. if someone goes on a profane-ridden tirade, especially where they can be heard by children, they deserve to be fined or arrested for disorderly conduct. The Demolition Man concept of issuing fines for each word will likely never act as a deterrent because when people are angry, all reasoning is lost.

#reality

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I don't mind people cursing but please refrain from it when little kids are around.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I cuss regularly as part of conversation, but one thing that drives me crazy is when people cuss in front of kids.

It's not even about kids already knowing the words or that they'll hear it eventually, I just think it's disrespectful.

I guess in general I'm not a fan of inconsiderate behavior. There's a guy that parks his car right below my bedroom window in the morning and blasts rap while he idles before he goes into his job.

Ignoring the fact that the music he listens to is fully explicit and kids are walking right by his car to go to school, he's also assuming that he's not waking anyone else up that may be trying to get a few more hours of shut eye, or even worse, someone that works late and is trying to get some real sleep.

The fact that all it would take is for him to roll his window up makes matters even worse.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;4589848 said:
I cuss regularly as part of conversation, but one thing that drives me crazy is when people cuss in front of kids.

It's not even about kids already knowing the words or that they'll hear it eventually, I just think it's disrespectful.

I guess in general I'm not a fan of inconsiderate behavior. There's a guy that parks his car right below my bedroom window in the morning and blasts rap while he idles before he goes into his job.

Ignoring the fact that the music he listens to is fully explicit and kids are walking right by his car to go to school, he's also assuming that he's not waking anyone else up that may be trying to get a few more hours of shut eye, or even worse, someone that works late and is trying to get some real sleep.

The fact that all it would take is for him to roll his window up makes matters even worse.

Exactly!

#reality

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
When we walked off of the practice field, and into the Field House after every football practice we were greeted with a great big sign that said, ...

"PROFANITY SHOWS LACK OF VOCABULARY"

That has always stuck with me. You will never hear me use any form of profanity.

Plus I coach kids from 10 to 15 yrs old, I would never want to be the reason that they think it is ok.

There is no foul language allowed on my teams.

I have found in the professional world, people that use profanity are looked down upon.