$20 fines for cursing in public

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4589862 said:
"PROFANITY SHOWS LACK OF VOCABULARY"

Problem with this is, this statement isn't even remotely true.

While someone using profanity may have a small vocabulary, it in no way establishes the fact that anyone using profanity has a small vocabulary.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589880 said:
Problem with this is, this statement isn't even remotely true.

While someone using profanity may have a small vocabulary, it in no way establishes the fact that anyone using profanity has a small vocabulary.

Sort of does.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4589862 said:
I have found in the professional world, people that use profanity are looked down upon.

I don't completely agree with this. I think a well placed profanity works wondering in humanizing people in professional situations.

Obviously, those that use excessive profanity in professional situations are probably looked down on for a number of reasons. As I said, there's a point where it just becomes disrespectful and inconsiderate.

As far as coaching, were I in your situation, I wouldn't allow it either. There's no need for it, especially in amateur competition.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
rocboy22;4589910 said:
that is opinion only, though - and not logical

You're right, on both, .. I just notice that when a person is articulate, well spoken, and seems intelligent, .. they usually are above profanity. And I tend to listen and respect what they have to say.

And when I hear someone using profanity a lot, .. I tend to not place much value in their opinion, nor respect it.

I am fortunate I rarely ever hear profanity in my world.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
It's interesting that so many consider curse words inherently bad and yet have no clue how terms in the english language came to be "vulgar"...

In 1050 with the Norman conquest of England, the language of the aristocracy and court became the Latin based French, instead of the German based English. The English tongue was considered base or vulgar or profane (interesting that our word "vulgar" in English means both common and nasty). Most English "cuss" words are simply the Germanic/English base word which, if re-stated with the Latin/French base word, would be perfectly acceptable in mixed company.

The very thing that makes them "profane" is that they are from the common tongue of the peasants instead of the court tongue of the aristocracy.
If I describe an object or action with the German based word, I'm cursing; if I describe the same object or action with the Latin based word, its all fine and dandy. For instance, the difference between "s***" and "defecate". It all stems back to a simple heirarchy of language.

Words are indecent only because we say they are, and those who are outlandishly offended by them are only because they've been told they should be. Now, am I advocating swearing up and down the street? No, but the idea that curse words make you inherently bad (or stupid) is just dumb.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I call my puppy all kinds of bad things, but in a sweet tone. She gets all excited and giddy. She loves me for it! :laugh2:

Point being, words are words and their meaning is only what you make of them.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4589921 said:
The very thing that makes them "profane" is that they are from the common tongue of the peasants instead of the court tongue of the aristocracy.

I think you have hit on how it got this way, .. but it's probably not going to change.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4589916 said:
And when I hear someone using profanity a lot, .. I tend to not place much value in their opinion, nor respect it.

Some of the brightest men in history cursed like sailors. In addition, several American presidents were renowned for their ability to fling around profanity.

In toher words, it's your loss for ignoring people simply on the basis of an arbitrary and completely fabricated societal evil.

Why? Does someone cursing in casual conversation detract from your enjoyment of life?

I consider profanity "bad" based on intent. If someone drops something on their foot and yells "****" then I fail to see how that is any different than saying "crap" or some other term. If someone says "**** you" though that is a different matter, but I would consider any such action offensive whether they cursed or not. It isn't the cursing that ever bothers me, it's how people use the words and most things don't require cursing to be offensive.

rocboy22

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4589921 said:
It's interesting that so many consider curse words inherently bad and yet have no clue how terms in the english language came to be "vulgar"...

In 1050 with the Norman conquest of England, the language of the aristocracy and court became the Latin based French, instead of the German based English. The English tongue was considered base or vulgar or profane (interesting that our word "vulgar" in English means both common and nasty). Most English "cuss" words are simply the Germanic/English base word which, if re-stated with the Latin/French base word, would be perfectly acceptable in mixed company.

If I describe an object or action with the German based word, I'm cursing; if I describe the same object or action with the Latin based word, its all fine and dandy. For instance, the difference between "s***" and "defecate". It all stems back to a simple heirarchy of language.

Words are indecent only because we say they are, and those who are outlandishly offended by them are only because they've been told they should be. Now, am I advocating swearing up and down the street? No, but the idea that curse words make you inherently bad (or stupid) is just dumb.

excellent post

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4589928 said:
Why? Does someone cursing in casual conversation detract from your enjoyment of life?

Not really, .. it's like cigarette smoke, I would rather not be around it.

A normal day for me would be spent at home, at work, at church and with my baseball team. I just never hear it very often at all.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Reality;4589810 said:
I tend to agree with this .. if someone goes on a profane-ridden tirade, especially where they can be heard by children, they deserve to be fined or arrested for disorderly conduct. The Demolition Man concept of issuing fines for each word will likely never act as a deterrent because when people are angry, all reasoning is lost.

#reality

oh please

children hear and say more than any of us ever could, they don't need the protection from bad words some here think they do

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4589916 said:
You're right, on both, .. I just notice that when a person is articulate, well spoken, and seems intelligent, .. they usually are above profanity. And I tend to listen and respect what they have to say.

that is not true, some of most respected in my office cuss like sailors

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4589928 said:
Some of the brightest men in history cursed like sailors. In addition, several American presidents were renowned for their ability to fling around profanity.

In toher words, it's your loss for ignoring people simply on the basis of an arbitrary and completely fabricated societal evil.

I consider profanity "bad" based on intent. If someone drops something on their foot and yells "****" then I fail to see how that is any different than saying "crap" or some other term. If someone says "**** you" though that is a different matter, but I would consider any such action offensive whether they cursed or not. It isn't the cursing that ever bothers me, it's how people use the words and most things don't require cursing to be offensive.

it's even more stupid when someone drops something on their foot and goes "oh *****", or "oh heck". Be a man and say the right word!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4589950 said:
oh please

children hear and say more than any of us ever could, they don't need the protection from bad words some here think they do

You remind me of Shallow Hal.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589805 said:
Maybe not for a single use of offensive language, but if someone is going overboard with it firing of foul language left and right. Hell yeah they should. I and others shouldn't be forced to listen to some moronic idiot spew foul language with every other word that comes out of his/her mouth.

If so, I should be able to offend them with a baseball bat to the head without consequence.

Now, step up and take your beating.

but if I thought what a politician was saying was foul and going overboard would I still be able to use that bat...

think about it for a second....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reality;4589807 said:
When people use profanity, it is an attempt to generate and obtain attention. It is the one-up environment we live in. If everyone says, "Crap!" when they get mad, it's not special and will likely go unnoticed in conversation unless yelled loudly. So, people use profanity as a means to gain that attention without yelling. Of course yelling profanity increases the attention you gain.

The problem is that people start to regularly use profanity because they believe each thing they are saying to be important enough to justify it. Once that happens, their friends get used to it so the only recourse they have to stress that this time they are really angry or excited is to yell louder, include excessive animation or to combine several profane words together in strange combinations. To the rest of the public, they see a person that is seems mentally unbalanced. My point is that everything becomes a pattern no matter how common or how rare, no matter how quiet or how loud and no matter how polite or how rude. Once the pattern sets in, people have to break that pattern by more and more extremes to continue to garner the attention they seek.

It is the same with forums. Ever notice how some users tend to create new threads than reply in threads even with there are already threads discussing the topic right there? I am not referring to duplicate threads, which happens sometimes due to differing thread titles, but rather intentional thread separation. The reason is that the person feels their opinions or comments would be considered on the same level of relevance or importance if they post them in a reply, so by creating a new thread on the topic, they gain the exposure they want or need for their comments.

One of the main benefits of profanity is that it requires little effort to think. It's like using the word "thing" to describe everything including the abstract and non-physical items. That is the main reason profanity is used when people are very angry, upset or hurt as it requires no thinking to say them and almost any usage works.

#reality

I dropped a 20 pound weight on my foot you better believe I used profanity. Was not looking for attention just a reaction to a very painful experience. Gosh darn did not quite describe my feeling. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Zaxor;4589977 said:
but if I thought what a politician was saying was foul and going overboard would I still be able to use that bat...

think about it for a second....

We are talking about two different things and you know this. :rolleyes: If we looked at it your way, you could say "hello" to me and I could club you with a bat because I deemed it offensive.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. There are words that everyone knows are considered "vulgar" or "offensive" by the majority of the population.