$20 fines for cursing in public

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I went to the Goodfellas public speaking academy and professor Joe Pesci said I was his star pupil. :laugh2:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4589742 said:
MIDDLEBOROUGH, Mass. – Mimi Duphily was hanging baskets of pink geraniums on antique street lamps downtown for the Middleborough Beautification and Activities Group when she noticed something else that needed cleaning up -- citizens' mouths.

"The cursing has gotten very, very bad. I find it appalling and I won't tolerate it," said Duphily, a civic leader in the otherwise quiet New England community, which calls itself the Cranberry Capital of the World. "No person should be allowed to talk in that manner."

Soon, Middleborough residents who do could risk a $20 fine.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...20-fines-for-cursing-in-public/#ixzz1xUmtsSCy

Dayum, they would make a fortune here in Brooklyn ; )

jnday

Reaction score
Being from the Bible Belt, I try to watch my mouth around children and ladies. Not all women, just ladies if you know what I mean. I don't cuss around older people either. It's out of respect more than anything else. I appreciate the same respect being shown around my grandchildren , wife and parents. It is good manners.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I generally don't use profanity. There are better ways to use words that don't resort to the "cop out" of using a colorful 4-letter word.

I have, however, reserved profanity for when things were royally messed up at work (motorpool, etc.) -- you want to get your troops' attention, NEVER curse until something is ABHORRENT. Made me feel good to have a trooper come up to me later and say "dang, Sir, we didn't know you actually could get mad."

Keep the dragon caged until absolutely necessary :cool:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
jnday;4590262 said:
Being from the Bible Belt, I try to watch my mouth around children and ladies. Not all women, just ladies if you know what I mean.

:laugh1: I know what you mean.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No such thing as a word being profanity IMO. It's just a word, and it has a definition, just like other words. Some have multiple definitions. Context is what is important.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;4590266 said:
I generally don't use profanity. There are better ways to use words that don't resort to the "cop out" of using a colorful 4-letter word.

I have, however, reserved profanity for when things were royally messed up at work (motorpool, etc.) -- you want to get your troops' attention, NEVER curse until something is ABHORRENT. Made me feel good to have a trooper come up to me later and say "dang, Sir, we didn't know you actually could get mad."

Keep the dragon caged until absolutely necessary :cool:

The path I follow.

Cussing is easy.

Getting your point across not while not using 4-letter words is harder, but I think people take notice of that and respect it because they get 4-letter words from everyone else.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
jnday;4590262 said:
Being from the Bible Belt, I try to watch my mouth around children and ladies. Not all women, just ladies if you know what I mean. I don't cuss around older people either. It's out of respect more than anything else. I appreciate the same respect being shown around my grandchildren , wife and parents. It is good manners.

Good to know there is still people like you out there. I am the same way in most situations.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4590353 said:
The path I follow.

Cussing is easy.

Getting your point across not while not using 4-letter words is harder, but I think people take notice of that and respect it because they get 4-letter words from everyone else.

Cussing is the best way to express yourself, that I know.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
dez_for_prez;4590031 said:
It's about respecting other people beliefs. Not every parent wants their child hearing F bombs and whatnot.

and not every person wants to see others praying or saying grace before dinner at restaurants but we all have to put up with others do

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;4590266 said:

You would be amazed how many times this has happened to me over the years. I rarely use profanity so when I do, it stuns people. In other words, it garners the attention that is deserved by using the language. People who use it regularly tend to be people who cannot get their point across articulately or people who desperately want/need people to pay attention to what they are saying because they feel that without profanity, no one would listen or care. The more that someone makes profanity part of their normal speech, the less unique it sounds which leads to either excessive (well beyond even frequent) usage of profanity or excessive yelling and even those become non-special the more they occur.

#reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;4590434 said:
and not every person wants to see others praying or saying grace before dinner at restaurants but we all have to put up with others do

Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

#reality

jnday

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590434 said:

I hope you are joking. See someone saying grace does not offend anyone like filthy words coming out of a trashy mouth. Do you actually approve of such filth in front of your children? I don't believe it is my business to comment on the words used in private while at home. I have and will comment on vulgar behaviour in public. It is disrespectfull and crude, primative and trashy at so many different levels.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Over use of profanity tends to show lack of vocabulary. There's no reason to curse all the time.

That being said, I dream of a world where there is no such thing as bad words. Just words. The very idea of words being bad, drives me nuts. It makes no sense. OH MY GOSH THE POOR CHILDREN! IF THEY HEAR THOSE WORDS TOO MANY TIMES..... RUINED FOREVER.

If we didn't put such an emphasis on them being taboo, they wouldn't be an issue. People need to just let it go.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
jnday;4590463 said:
I hope you are joking. See someone saying grace does not offend anyone like filthy words coming out of a trashy mouth. Do you actually approve of such filth in front of your children? I don't believe it is my business to comment on the words used in private while at home. I have and will comment on vulgar behaviour in public. It is disrespectfull and crude, primative and trashy at so many different levels.

Explain how said words are bad for children. Explain the negatives. Explain what will go wrong in your child's life if he hears such words. I can't think of a single person I know who did not hear curse words growing up. They all seem fine to me, but maybe it's just because I'm so warped from hearing curse words growing up.

Disrespect in that sense is relative. That argument is moot. Meaning and intent behind the words carries the respect, or lack of it. You can be just as disrespectful to someone without ever using a curse word. People who think others saying certain words in their presence is disrespectful think entirely too much of themselves, unless ofcourse the words are being said AT them and the meaning/intent behind them is disrespectful in nature.

I could write a book on the negatives of believing in religion and prayer, in fact, countless people have.

Words are not filthy or bad. They are just words.

jnday

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4590504 said:
Explain how said words are bad for children. Explain the negatives. Explain what will go wrong in your child's life if he hears such words. I can't think of a single person I know who did not hear curse words growing up. They all seem fine to me, but maybe it's just because I'm so warped from hearing curse words growing up.

Disrespect in that sense is relative. That argument is moot. Meaning and intent behind the words carries the respect, or lack of it. You can be just as disrespectful to someone without ever using a curse word. People who think others saying certain words in their presence is disrespectful think entirely too much of themselves, unless ofcourse the words are being said AT them and the meaning/intent behind them is disrespectful in nature.

I could write a book on the negatives of believing in religion and prayer, in fact, countless people have.

Words are not filthy or bad. They are just words.
A better question is " why should my five and six year old granddaughters have to hear filth because someone doesn't have the manners and respect not to use such words in front of them?". What is the benefit of exposing them to such behaviour? I have thought about your post at great length and I hope that this answers your questions. I try to carry myself in a way that shows respect to others. I also try to use good manners. To touch on one of your points, I don't use manners in an effort to be better than others. I use manners as a way to respect others. My beliefs are shaped by morals and ethics that are due not only to religion, but due the culture that I descended from.
There are many things that will do little to no harm, but I am not going to do them. I could walk around naked, have sex in public, fart in somebodies face or even curse in front of children and ladies. You are not going to find me doing any of them because it is rude. I could give many more gross examples, but I think I made my point. Without certain limitations on our behaviour, we are nothing more than animals.
There is a term that we use in the South called "home training". The term means that your parents taught you how to act in public without dishonoring your family. Poor manners and disrespectfull behaviour is a sure sign that a person lacks "home training" and they should be treated as such.
There are things you do and don't do that are not based on being legal, they are based on right and wrong. I know everyone's beliefs are different, but these are some of mine.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4589986 said:
We are talking about two different things and you know this. :rolleyes: If we looked at it your way, you could say "hello" to me and I could club you with a bat because I deemed it offensive.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. There are words that everyone knows are considered "vulgar" or "offensive" by the majority of the population.

to what majority the "moral majority"

they are only words or are they something different

I think "War" is the dirtiest, most disgusting, most profane word I or anyone else could/would ever put in a mouth...

yet it is commonly used with little thought...where as if I said I stepped in "crap" (other word used) would make some people's hair stand on end

who gets to decide which words are profane?....

Bloody<--- that is a nasty word
* u ck <----- what a useful word this is it can be a noun, verb, adjective and works so well in so many situations and what is its original meaning? not nearly as bad as Bloody /War/ Rape and a host of others that are infinitely more appalling and disgusting...

so who gets to decide which words are profane and when are they up for reselection?

If someone doesn't like the way someone talks either ignore them/go away or wait for them to go away...we have to share this world and your picture of it may not fit to someone else's picture of it. Trying to regulate each and everyone's moral standards and code of conduct is way to militaristic in a free world and is as appalling and disgusting to me as many of the words that you probably think are"okay"

Lonestar94

Reaction score
jnday;4590538 said:
A better question is " why should my five and six year old granddaughters have to hear filth because someone doesn't have the manners and respect not to use such words in front of them?". What is the benefit of exposing them to such behaviour? I have thought about your post at great length and I hope that this answers your questions. I try to carry myself in a way that shows respect to others. I also try to use good manners. To touch on one of your points, I don't use manners in an effort to be better than others. I use manners as a way to respect others. My beliefs are shaped by morals and ethics that are due not only to religion, but due the culture that I descended from.
There are many things that will do little to no harm, but I am not going to do them. I could walk around naked, have sex in public, fart in somebodies face or even curse in front of children and ladies. You are not going to find me doing any of them because it is rude. I could give many more gross examples, but I think I made my point. Without certain limitations on our behaviour, we are nothing more than animals.
There is a term that we use in the South called "home training". The term means that your parents taught you how to act in public without dishonoring your family. Poor manners and disrespectfull behaviour is a sure sign that a person lacks "home training" and they should be treated as such.
There are things you do and don't do that are not based on being legal, they are based on right and wrong. I know everyone's beliefs are different, but these are some of mine.

:hammer:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality;4590448 said:
People who use it regularly tend to be people who cannot get their point across articulately or people who desperately want/need people to pay attention to what they are saying because they feel that without profanity, no one would listen or care. The more that someone makes profanity part of their normal speech, the less unique it sounds which leads to either excessive (well beyond even frequent) usage of profanity or excessive yelling and even those become non-special the more they occur.

#reality

This.