2006 1st round pick and/or player for Javon Walker!

tecolote

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get bombed for this, but Ellis will most likely be out of Dallas by next year, if not sooner, and I think we will draft a WR in the first round next year, if we do, what are the odds we would end up with someone like walker.

In short, I would trade Ellis and the 2006 #1 for walker, I dont think GB will take anything less for him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tecolote said:
In short, I would trade Ellis and the 2006 #1 for walker, I dont think GB will take anything less for him.

considering the money Walker will require, that is an awful idea

David

tecolote

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
considering the money Walker will require, that is an awful idea

David

But you also have to take into account that we are paying Ellis a ton of money, plus we woldn't have to pay for a first rounder next year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
It could be but consider this, if Walker is serious about not playing, he could hold out until the 8th game of the season. Basically, GB would have 8 games of his services and then he would be an UFA. If they allow that to happen, they might have to use a franchise tag on him, which would expose somebody else. On the other hand, they do need help on the DL. If they were to add Glover and Ellis, that would give them a really nice DL.

I don't believe this would happen but I could see where it might be an option for them.

I don't think we can afford to give up both Ellis and Glover this year as we don't have enough depth on DL and would be counting on the kids an awful lot. Perhaps next offseason we could make such a deal if we are committed to the 3-4 and the kids look like they are coming around.

I could see us giving up one of them (probably Ellis) this year if we got good value in return, but not both.

I think TC and preseason will be a bit of a wakeup call for BP and Zim - I suspect they will discover we don't have the horses to play the 3-4 full-time or even the majority of the time. The front 4 of Spears, Ferguson, Glover and Ware/Spears/Canty/Ratliff will have a big year and all the talk about 3-4 will die down.

slick325

Reaction score
strongarmqb said:
You arent comparing apples to apples. Your fathers situation was way different.

If it was you, i dont think you would be willing to pay the price for another year and put out great production, then leave it up to their good graces as to whether they want to give you a better deal.

The bottom line is, the players have to swing the hammer when they have the leverage. Because the owners sure dont mind doing it when they have the leverage.

Good points. The fact that football is so physical and the contracts are not guaranteed makes playing on a one year contract (and that is exactly what Walker would essentially be doing) something that makes all football players somewhat tepid when it comes to mini-camps, training camps, and the actual season. I can't blame them. If Walker gets hurt in camp and is injured for a majority of the season meaning he puts up nominal stats similar to Terry Glenn's total of 400yds in 6 games played, what offer will he get from the Pack? One based on his 1300 yd season or the one based on the 400 yd season? We know that answer, the Pack would never say "sorry you got hurt, we'll disregard last season and pay you for the one where you were healthy". No, they would say "well Javon your stats last season don't warrant top 5 WR money. Only 400yds? Nope can't pay top dollar for that." Therefore, I can understand his angst.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Glover is going NOWHERE.

Ellis could be moved if we get real value.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Glover is going NOWHERE.

Ellis could be moved if we get real value.

yeah ok Nors, even though Jones says they wont even consider trading him

:rolleyes:

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tecolote said:
But you also have to take into account that we are paying Ellis a ton of money, plus we woldn't have to pay for a first rounder next year.

Ellis is an incredible bargain cap wise, what r u talking about?

David

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The example you use with Lett is not relivant. In the Super Bowl years, the cap had not come into play yet. In those days, you could sit players on the bench. Now, you can't.

We don't know that teams aren't interested in trading for Walker, if Green Bay elects to intertain trade offers, I suspect they will get interest. If you think WRs are not valuable in the NFL, I would recommend you look at the last 8 to 10 drafts or so.

In 96, 11 WRs were taken. 5 in the 1st and 6 in the 2nd.

In 97, 8 WRs were taken. 4 in the 1st and 4 in the 2nd.

In 98, 10 WRs were taken. 3 in the 1st and 7 in the 2nd.

In 99, 5 WRs were taken. 3 in the 1st and 7 in the 2nd.

In 00, 8 WRs were taken. 5 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd.

In 01, 10 WRs taken. 6 in the 1st and 4 in the 2nd.

In 02, 11 WRs taken. 3 in the 1st and 8 in the 2nd.

In 03, 8 WRs taken. 3 in the 1st and 5 in the 2nd.

In 04, 10 WRs taken. 7 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd.

In 05, 10 WRs taken. 5 in the 1st and 5 in the 2nd.

Over the last 9 years, 91 WRs have been selected. That's just over 10 a year in the first two rounds. 44 1st round or almost 5 1st round picks a year and 47 2nds or just over 5 a year. This has been going on for almost 10 years. This would suggest that teams are drafting WRs high and it's not going to stop. It also suggests that all the WRs being drafted are not panning out. All the more reason to get a proven commodity if you can.

Bottom line, Ellis and Glover will be of no value to us in the next few years, IMO. Better to get a good young WR that can be a franchise type player for you if the opportunity presents itself.

you misunderstood value in fact you proved my piont, teams are Draftgin WR or sining them out of FA, how many trades do you see incorparting WR nowadays, there isnt a huigh demand for WR that have a hefty price tag, intodays NFL, and you keep forgetting, Ellis and Glover arent getting pain 6 7 8 910 million dollar contracts, he actaully took less to stay here remember? SO its not hurting us in the cap deparment so why trade of a low impact player on our cap, and bring in a guy who's rboaly gonna put us out of big FA spending for the next few years.

tecolote

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Ellis is an incredible bargain cap wise, what r u talking about?

David
You are right, he is for the next two years, he will count for 3 mill and 2.5 agaist the cap for 06 and 07, but if you factor in what we would have to pay a first rounder next year, while it most certainly would not cover the price of Walker, it would lessen the impact capwise.

Just an idea though.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
yeah ok Nors, even though Jones says they wont even consider trading him

:rolleyes:

David

What happened to your Howard trade:) 4-3 a lock - offseason of bagel predictions gone bad. Dude you went ZERO for the offseason in your "prediction thread"! Hit on not one prediction, zip, nada, none, zero.

Keep attacking me in all your threads - get a life - I barely post or reply anymore to your childish chit. :rolleyes: thats cool dude and must make you right.....
Same Ellis in a screaming match with Parcells, said trade me? Same Ellis questioning his "role" in the 3-4 via press months ago? Same Ellis that as he ADMITTED is too small to play 3-4 DE recently?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Nors said:
What happened to your Howard trade:) 4-3 a lock - offseason of bagel predictions gone bad. Dude you went ZERO for the offseason in your "prediction thread"! Hit on not one prediction, zip, nada, none, zero.

Keep attacking me in all your threads - get a life - I barely post or reply anymore to your childish chit. :rolleyes: thats cool dude and must make you right.....
Same Ellis in a screaming match with Parcells, said trade me? Same Ellis questioning his "role" in the 3-4 via press months ago? Same Ellis that as he ADMITTED is too small to play 3-4 DE recently?

well see the problem with that is, he inst the one amking teh predictions, in fact the owner himself (Mr, Jerry Jones) came out and said we're not tradng away ellis, go read Mikey's new Column it says it ther to, just in case you think i'm pulling this out of the high insane air you breath:D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
And AB wasn't to be traded?, Hutch was going to Start, JJ is a used car salesman.

His Gurode and Ellis votes of confidence are interesting. Sometimes that vote of confidence is feigned in a trade situation.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Nors said:
And AB wasn't to be traded?, Hutch was going to Start, JJ is a used car salesman.

His Gurode and Ellis votes of confidence are interesting. Sometimes that vote of confidence is feigned in a trade situation.

he never said AB wasnt going to be traded, and BP got sick of AB, remember he didnt get traded right after the incident

Hutch did start, it was BP who came in and said QC should start, and once again JJ backed him up,

you dont know it all Nors, remember TY law still isnt our FS :rolleyes:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagh - and our FS is still not settled? Will Law take a discount to upgrade us there? Probally not - but our team is worse for not upgrading scrubs like Scott, Reese and unproven Davis who after his shooting and NFL europe gigs I do have some hope for....

Talk football - the Law fallback is getting weak and old - keep talk on topic bro - I'm losing patience to this vat of rhetoric. Godspeed.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Nors said:
Yeagh - and our FS is still not settled? Will Law take a discount to upgrade us there? Probally not - but our team is worse for not upgrading scrubs like Scott, Reese and unproven Davis who after his shooting and NFL europe gigs I do have some hope for....

Talk football - the Law fallback is getting weak and old - keep talk on topic bro - I'm losing patience to this vat of rhetoric. Godspeed.

FS isnt settled ,but not every postion on every team roster is, and how is opur team worse, i'd rater see Reese or DAvis out there than Scott or Dixon, and you never adressed the point i made, why not read the enitre post and not just what you wanna see

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Oh gimme a break. After all that Ty Law crap we have endured over the last year plus and now it is "getting weak and old" and you are "losing patience" when somebody mentions he still isn't a Cowboy???
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
you misunderstood value in fact you proved my piont, teams are Draftgin WR or sining them out of FA, how many trades do you see incorparting WR nowadays, there isnt a huigh demand for WR that have a hefty price tag, intodays NFL, and you keep forgetting, Ellis and Glover arent getting pain 6 7 8 910 million dollar contracts, he actaully took less to stay here remember? SO its not hurting us in the cap deparment so why trade of a low impact player on our cap, and bring in a guy who's rboaly gonna put us out of big FA spending for the next few years.

No, there is a poor understanding going on here but it's not me. Moss just got traded this season. Owens was traded and may be traded again. We traded AB ourselves. There is always a high demand for WRs who can play. That's not even a question. I appriciate the fact that you are young but at this point, your wasting my time. The stuff your saying is completely untrue and it is no longer good discussion. Doesn't matter, Ellis and Glover are still going to get upwards of 4 million or so, to play. You don't pay 4 million dollars for part time players at any position. That's the simple fact of the matter. Eventually, they'll get cut or traded. Lastly, we're getting to the point where we won't need big money FAs. We will need to keep our own talent. Your point of signing big FAs in the future will soon be a none issue.